MiniTorque.com banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, however I am having trouble disabling the seat airbags. Have installed sparco's and it seems I am having trouble. Are these the correct options that I am disabling? As i am getting Coding faulty error when i go select write "SG_CODIERAN"

SIDEBAG_LINKS_1
nicht_aktiv
SIDEBAG_RECHTS_1
nicht_aktiv

Or do I have to modify the VO?, Any help appreciated otherwise its getting the crappy resistor mod

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi folks, just come across this thread. I have been trying to figure out how to disable all the airbags on my R53 when I take it on track but be able to put them back on when the Mrs is using the car for taking the dog to the park.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could do an idiots guide to disabling the seat airbags and the driver and passenger airbags in the dash/steering wheel.

Apologies if that has already been done, perhaps you could point me towards the right thread

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,053 Posts
3.9ohm fused resistors required, about £4 on ebay, or unfused (risky if in a bump) 40p Maplins, just plug in to pretensioner and srs connectors under the seats, no coding crap involved.

Technology Electronic device Measuring instrument

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Car seat

·
Chop it
3,798 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, however I am having trouble disabling the seat airbags. Have installed sparco's and it seems I am having trouble. Are these the correct options that I am disabling? As i am getting Coding faulty error when i go select write "SG_CODIERAN"

SIDEBAG_LINKS_1
nicht_aktiv
SIDEBAG_RECHTS_1
nicht_aktiv

Or do I have to modify the VO?, Any help appreciated otherwise its getting the crappy resistor mod
The above will not work if anyone does it. You also need to select left 2 and right 2 then it'll work

SIDEBAG_LINKS_1
nicht_aktiv
SIDEBAG_RECHTS_1
nicht_aktiv
SIDEBAG_LINKS_2
nicht_aktiv
SIDEBAG_RECHTS_2
nicht_aktiv

Only take a moment to code

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks carsorbikes. This is the info I was after. Will this disable the dash and steering wheel air bags as well as those in the seats?
Are these plugs both found under the seats? If not then where do I access them?
When I put the plugs back together again for road use is there any problem with dashboard lights remaining on?
Thanks again
Cm

·
Chop it
3,798 Posts
If the lights are on you can only turn them off with a reader,you need to put resistors in every plug you remove from the air bag, the steering has 2. As long as you do not turn the key on while you have the air bags out the light will not come on but you need to have the resistors in before you power up. Best bet is to remove the battery and do your SRS work including resistors
If you are removing all airbags then it is easier to plug in and code everything out

Using resistors will make the SRS think that the air bag is there.
For an MOT the SRS needs to come on for a few seconds and then turn off which both coding or resistors can do

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,053 Posts
As above leave battery off while doing it and no light should come on if the resistors are all in place correctly and insulated. Please note the above is just what I did and is not a recommendation for you. If attempting any work like this it is of your own volition, responsibility lies entirely with you and not me or the forum. Please use fused resistors, they are on ebay, a few pounds more, a little larger and typically yellow, and must be of the correct ohms. If fitted, and involved in an SRS triggering event, the airbag ecu will try to fire the airbag, and if there is a fuse there it will blow, if there isn't and you have the little ones I used, the resistor will blow, be warned. The connectors are anchored under the front edge of the seats, they just twist one way 45 degrees to release from the frame. On the R53 the ohm rating is the same I understand, for all the locations.

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks again folks. Great info.
What is the issue with using the unfused resistors? Surely in a bump the resistor Will blow just the same as the fuse in the fused type? Replace blown resistor and job done, or am I missing something?
Where do I find the plugs for the steering wheel and passenger dashboard air bags?
The car is used on road a lot so I intend putting resistors in when going to the track and taking them out again when the wife is using the car for shopping etc!
If that's not practicable then I need to rethink things. Hopefully it's not too difficult to do.
Thanks again folks

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
FIRE!

Risk of.

Easy to do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rather than starting a new thread, wanted to revive this as I am in the process of building a fast road toy with my son. I am changing the seats but it seems that there is conflicting info about the resistor value needed; some say 2.2, some 3.9. Have you guys been running 3.9s ok for a while? Mine is a 2005 S. Thanks for any advice you can offer :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
3.9s worked for me for well over 2 years before I reverted to OE seats.

2.2s were the order of the day for my previous BMW though.

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts

Reactions: docklander
21 - 37 of 37 Posts