MiniTorque.com banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Bugger
25,902 Posts
From what we have seen the Post FL cars are slightly lighter, its also why im keeping my cooper shell and using that as the cooper / one shell is also a bit lighter.

· Bugger
25,902 Posts
TBH I have no idea, short of stripping a pre and post FL back to parts after an acid dip its not worth speculating over really. Unless anyone can get the tech data from mini.

· Registered
416 Posts
you can also drop your seats to the lowest position, not sure how high they go, but but dropping 100kg of driver and seat even a few inches has got to be worth something as long as it doesn't upset your control or vision
Lower centre of gravity, makes sense to me on a physics point of view, although doubt it would make a noticible difference.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
Lower centre of gravity, makes sense to me on a physics point of view, although doubt it would make a noticeable difference.
well that's what i thought, maybe not noticeable but no less so than throwing away individual bits of trim like the bonnet insulation
but everyone else says it's a shit idea, My gf is 5ft nothing and can see fine with the seat in the lowest position

race car tuners must be wasting money on dry sumps so they can drop the engine an inch or 2 lower to the ground

someone tell Ferrari to get massa a boaster seat

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah I have S spokes so there's loads of weight to lose there when I can afford new wheels.
The seats are out. I'll get rid of the rear wiper. And plum the rear wash to spray the Intercooler instead.
The seats will both be swapped for bucket seats at some point and the rear seats are already out.
The car is my daily car but I don't use it often. Other than going on a hoon! Round north wales and it's great roads.
Id like to track it too.
My uncle often does track days in his 911 and goes with his friend who had a Monaro. So ill go with them for my first time hopefully.

· Bugger
25,902 Posts
well that's what i thought, maybe not noticeable but no less so than throwing away individual bits of trim like the bonnet insulation
but everyone else says it's a shit idea, My gf is 5ft nothing and can see fine with the seat in the lowest position

race car tuners must be wasting money on dry sumps so they can drop the engine an inch or 2 lower to the ground

The concept is right but your idea isnt, you still have a heavy ass stock seat in there, and the range of the stock seat is next to bugger all, the weight of an engine is a lot more than even the fattest fuck in a stock seat, circa 200+ KG. dropping that 5 inches makes a difference, but a lot of it is also aero related too.

· MT's Naughty Boy
6,849 Posts
The only difference you'll notice on a road car by completely stripping it is how fucking noisy it is.

Change Seats - Yes
Change Wheels - Yes

Everything else - Don't bother, unless Race Car, not Road Car.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My fixed sparco buckets weigh 8kg and are bolted to the floor so I'm covered for COG.... but as demonstrated in this picture the seating position gives an effect known as the "Pedobear peek".... (I'm 6ft tall for reference)

Of fuuuck look at that. NEED coils! What are those alloys too?

· Registered
4,507 Posts
I have done rear seat removal, gp trail arms with facelift lighter alloy control arms, lighter alloys, 7kg buckets. Even with the heavy stock panoramic roof the difference is immense. Car turns so sharp and left to right weight transfer is so much less of an issue. You will find if you do the rear trail arms the front and rear suspension will feel like its working in tandem rather than a slightly disconnected feel that you get with the stock steel ones.

· Registered
22 Posts

Key Words there are Race car, Not a road going Mini that will never explore the limits of handling grip and control on the public road. But i do see what you are getting at but as i say it is a road car and it will make no odds at all.

· Bugger
25,902 Posts
The most effective weight reduction you can do to an R53 is to reduce the un sprung weight. This then allows you work on the vehicle dynamics with a greater effect.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sorry for being a retard but what is unsprung weight?

As for weight reduction, it may not be necessary on a road car but it does make it more chuckable.

· Registered
4,507 Posts
Weight that is not carried by the springs. Eg wheels tyres brake calipers and discs, moving suspension components such as trail arms, wishbones, anti roll bars drop links. Taking unsprung weight has a much bigger effect than taking off sprung weight.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Weight that is not carried by the springs. Eg wheels tyres brake calipers and discs, moving suspension components such as trail arms, wishbones, anti roll bars drop links. Taking unsprung weight has a much bigger effect than taking off sprung weight.
So what's the best way to go about reducing unsprung weight?
I'm not totally clued up on suspension components :S

21 - 40 of 45 Posts