MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to make my car lighter.
I plan to remove the rear seats.
And in future the S spokes will be replaced.
But for now my money is tied up in other things.
So what's the most effective way of reducing weight in the car?
Things that can be removed that dont need to be replaced with something else.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depends what you can live without . . . .

Is your car pre or post facelift? As this will determine how light it can go due to some of the panels
Pre-facelift.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quite a bit of weight to lose from the rear easily. Seats, carpet, speakers. Don't forget Rear window wiper motor. Also a one-ball mod could save a little bit from the rear. You really could go mental with it. How you use car though?
It's my every day car.
But no one sits in it but me.
I just want it to stick to the road like shit to a shovel. Obviously this needs more than just weight loss. I need to throw money at it but that'll be done over a long period if time.
I'm going to do this R53 properly not ruin it like my last R53.

· Rooster
5,355 Posts
Removing the interior is ruining a street car though...

· Registered
132 Posts
I used to have a 106 Gti stripped down to the shell, no carpet, sound deadening, headlining, light weight seats etc!
Ended up having to wear ear defenders as it was getting unbearable sometimes!

Plus during the winter its fucking freezing getting in it 1st thing in the morning!

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the rear seats are out anyway, and the CD changer. It's a start.
They never get used so why haul them around.

I haven't got spare cash at the moment to spend on it so it'll have to stay as it is for a few months, but since the R56 S brakes I'm having so much fun!

· Registered
1,808 Posts
you can also drop your seats to the lowest position, not sure how high they go, but but dropping 100kg of driver and seat even a few inches has got to be worth something as long as it doesn't upset your control or vision

· Bugger
25,902 Posts
you can also drop your seats to the lowest position, not sure how high they go, but but dropping 100kg of driver and seat even a few inches has got to be worth something as long as it doesn't upset your control or vision
The corsa forum called they want their shit ideas back.

· Registered
22 Posts
That is the worst thing i have ever heard in my life :lol: How about setting the seat up so you maintain full control of the car at all times :thumbup1:

Are you going to track the car at all OP? If not i would not strip it to bits as it will ruin it you will hear all the road noise for very little gain on the road.

· Registered
8,598 Posts
Im with above, thats one of the stupidist things i've heard in a long time :lol:

Little things make the difference though. When you get funds, look at some lightweight wheels over stock, massive saving on weight there.

If its an every day car, you dont want to COMPLETELY strip it, as it will end up doing your nut, but there is around 20kg in each seat, so dropping at least one for a bucket seat is going to help, as they are about 7kg. Dropping both even better.

· Cuntousaurus
15,850 Posts
Changing things like brake calipers, disks, suspension (adding coilovers), rear trailing arms (if non GP/Alu ones), rear anti roll bar (mines 5.5lbs), control arms etc will all give a reduction in the cars weight, lots of unsprung weight to lose.

Seats Check.
wheels Check.
battery OEM battery is worth swapping out? Most M3 owners use R53 battery for lightness...
A/C. Check.

Rear seats Check.
interior trim panels Which ones?
carpets etc. Adds too much "road noise" which sounds awful
The sound insulation under the bonnet Check.
CD changer if fitted. Check.

Rear window wiper motor. Check.
Also a one-ball mod could save a little bit from the rear. Get a better, lighter exhaust (Titanium).
The corsa forum called they want their shit ideas back.
:lol:
Is your car pre or post facelift? As this will determine how light it can go due to some of the panels
Interesting....

Im not sure which, Fomsport will tell you, but there is apparently some differences.
FOM....?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts