MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Shed Driver
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Trackshed R53 (http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f273/another-mcs-track-day-toy-54249/) is currently smoking like a chimney & needing the valve stem's doing, so last month i bought a Lohen BVH. However, by the time id worked out that i also needed a Janspeed manifold, Tomcat, Catcam & 550cc injectors to make use of it all, i realised that that was a daft amount of money to spend, so will be simply be fixing the valve stems myself, at some point. Probably.

With that in mind, & not wanting to use my e90 M3 on track, i bought an R56 fJCW to use in the meantime as a runaround, trackcar, ringtrip vehicle. Makes sense to me at least :lol:

So hear it is, in all its British Racing Green glory :thumbup1:

You may recognise it as Bealehere's old one.

Upon the drive home i realised a number of things:

1. The standard seats are utter gash
2. The de-cat is f*cking loud at 3k rpm and needs to come off
3. The flywheel is most definitely juddering, but i knew that anyway
4. It torque steers all over the place

So, with that in mind, considering i had simply intended to drive it around as is, i started buying parts :willy_nilly:

Some before/afters:

Much better, although even on their lowest setting, they sit higher than the standard things did. Odd.

I then taxed it and drove to Norfolk to sign up a customer. Not only is the tax f*ck all at £16 a month (the M3 is £50 lol), but it averaged 40mpg, i mean WTF, do these things run on fresh air or something? I wasnt exactly pootling along, its a new car!!

I really like it though, compared to the R53 it feels a million times more modern, a far better day to day car, but not ultimately as much fun i dont think. The steering/gearbox arent as precise and the power delivery is well, its turbo'd, so you dont get the N/A like rev hungry nature of the S/C engine. It does however feel like an utter rocketship for such a small car with only what 215bhp or so (assuming the de-cat gives 10bhp?).

Last week i bought an Airtec FMIC off here, & today i ordered an AEM N14 Intake from Lohen. I also want some BC Racing RM coilovers.

Clearly im not modifying it all :lol:

With regards to the flywheel, ive emailed Lohen about the Helix SMF & Organic/4 Paddle but they are currently out of stock. Depending on where i go with the car, i.e. whether it stays/replaces the R53/M3/whatever, ill also get the front wishbone bushes (probably attributing to the wobbliness & torque steer) changed & maybe fit a Quaife. That is a all a very big job when it comes to labour however, so will be sticking to bolt on parts until i decide what im doing long term. Mainly as i spent £2k on FL g'box/Quaife/SMF & wishbone bushes just before the R53 sh4t itself & that irritated me lol.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
That's a tidy car good to see rich's car has gone to a good home..
Be interesting to see what you think of the 56 on track compared to the 53.

·
Shed Driver
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you find it compared to your 53?
I know you have the M but the added torque must be quite nice!
The added torque is very nice tbh, makes for far easier progress on the road, & being brutally honest, i reckon that its quicker than the R53 overall. It cracked 150 on the way back from the ring, & got there pretty quickly, i cant imagine ever going that fast in the older one lol. Ultimate fun, its probably not there, but as a daily its a million times better.

Below 60/not at 6k revs, it makes the M3 feel slow as well :lol:

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Very good start you have made, I came from a 500bhp 335i [ meth ,JB4 Piggyback ecu Borla exhaust etc etc] and like you could not believe how frugal these are on fuel. I do 400 miles a week commute so was a welcome change. Only bugbear I have found so far is the standard clutch being made from cheese.

·
Shed Driver
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
be interested to see what you think of the ohlins
I would have been able to tell you after last weekend, but i had a little problem, as detailed below ...

Only bugbear I have found so far is the standard clutch being made from cheese.
Yup, my flywheel was borked when i bought it, but i kinda knew that having reading back through the previous owners posts, clutch release bearing is also whining like a pig now as well, so the sooner i can get it booked in with Lohen the better, that is, if i can solve the issue hinted at above.

So, at the weekend, i set about trying to fit some of the part id accumulated, the AEM/Airtec/Ohlins/Carbotechs, first off was the AEM, took a little while, but very straight forward and all incredibly well made. For an induction kit, its ruddy expensive i think, but you can tell in the R&D/manufacturing that a lot of thought has gone into it. It also makes the OEM dump valve much louder, which is always nice :thumbup1:

Then onto the Ohlins/Carbotechs, which obviously involved removing the wheels. Problem, i cant find the locking wheelnut key. Doh. I think Richard gave it to me, so ive probably lost it, so will have to go to Mini to get another key, no problem i think. With that in mind, i decided to take some pictures of the dirty R53 & R56 together instead.

Now onto yesterday, pop into Mini to order a new locking key, which is where the fun begins :cursing:

1. Using the master keys, we discover that i have two different locking whee nut sets on the car, so they suggest they take off all 4 using the masters, then replace with a new set whilst i wait. 30 mins (free) labour, £50 parts, easy peasy ...
2. Upon trying to remove the lockers, it appears that when the wheels were off last (possibly to remove the coilovers/ultraleggeras) the nuts were gunned on/torque'd up by Superman. The locking key was going to be damaged pretty much instantly, so Mini said they'd have to drill them out (£60 a wheel lol). To make matters even more annoying, the locker on the front pass wheel had been put in at an angle/on the p1ss, so the thread/hub will be f*cked as well.
3. I then went home, rather irritated, to try the following: http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f274/locking-wheel-nut-removal-34155/ which doesnt work as they dont appear to be the splined ones, the 15/16 socket wasnt the right bit either & didnt want to destroy my tools trying. I did however undo all the other nuts (by jumping on my flipping extendable bar), then reinstalled with a little copper grease, to the torque i used on the R53.

The offending lockers:

So, i am now faced with an R56 that needs a wheel bearing, new hub, new pads front/rear, coilover fitting and clutch & flywheel changing, with 4 pretty much welded on McGard style locking nuts. Short of buying one of these: Locking Wheel Nut Remover | Simple to Use Locknut Removal Kit - Dynomec Ltd for £185, does anyone have any suggestions? And this was the car to use whilst the R53 was being fixed lol, FFS ...

Where it now sits, abandoned as i cant even use it for commuting in case i get a puncture :mads:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You'll not like it.
Find an empty car park at night. Loosen the other wheel nuts, drive around the car park stopping every so often to check your wheels not ready to fall off.

Pikey way yes but it does work. Short of that smack a socket on it 12 sided would be better and try undoing them.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts