MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me yet again,

Apologies in advance for the long post.

I have a 2002 R53 with factory Xenons fitted. The drivers side one has stopped working all of a sudden. Went to swap the bulb from the other side and noticed immediately that the spring clip on one side keeps pinging off (but the bulb itself still seems to be held securely).

Anyway, put the bulb from the other side and still wasn't working. However, i had left the passenger side ignitor unattached completely and when i turned the headlamps on, i could hear a very clear buzzing or crackling noise coming from that side of the car. Not sure what that was TBH but decided i'd better put it all back together before i make it worse.

I did that and checked all is at it was prior to me touching it.

Any ideas why the drivers side Xenon wont work and also what that buzzing noise might have been?

When i checked the lights after i put it all back together, there was no buzzing or anything because i assume the ignitor was connected to the bulb as it should've been...

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Maverick. Will let you know. Just to be clear, when you say the Xenon "starter" are you referring to the silver ecu type box underneath the lamp housing or the black and red connector the fits and twists onto the bulb itself, mate?

I'm led to believe the silver ecu box thing is called a ballast and the twist connector is the ignitor.

I'm gonna swap the ballasts over at the weekend to see what happens - hopefully, that's what's up rather than the ignitor as I believe they're part of the headlamp assembly.

Is that right or have I just confused the matter haha...

If it is a faulty ballast - is that the part you have? If so, how much would you want for it?

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice one, Maverick. Will let you know if thats what it is at the weekend if thats ok, mate?

Appreciate the reminder Dsjoe! Because like a mug, i actually left the lights turned on while switching the bulbs the first time, had also left The near side ignitor unplugged by mistake. as soon as i started the car up is when i heard that buzzing noise hahahaha what i dick! I guess it was the ignitor arcing out causing the crackle. My mates hand was too close gor comfort but we laughed about it in the end. Lesson learned!

LJcoleman - fair play, well lucky mate. Both my bulbs are fine - really hoping its the ballast and not the ignitor. Both ignitors have slight "burn" marks on the copper contact points but the near side lamp works just fine?

We'll see.

Cheers you lot - knew it was worth coming on here to ask for help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. Swapped the ballasts over. The heads off two screws on each ballast just sheared off so that was a pain in the arse. The drives side ballast was caked in some weird white powdery shit that looked like limescale and the gasket was totally off so convinced it was gonna be the culprit.

Anyway, swapped them over and the fucker worked perfectly so i guess the ignitor in the lamp is shot.

Gonna go on the hunt for a secondhand one.

Shame it wasn't just a dodgy ballast otherwise i'd have bought yours!

If you know anyone selling a cheap off-side pre facelift lamp, let me know haha

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
I have a set of pre facelift xenons that are no use apart from the ballast and igniter. If you need anything let me know.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is the igniter sold as a standalone unit?
I guess my problems have to do with the igniter as long as ballasts work fine but it seems to me the igniter is "fixed" with the rest of the xenon unit..
And I'm not really into the process of cutting cables etc, I'd love it to be a direct parts swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts