MiniTorque.com banner

Crappy paint

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a r56 SD and I love it to bits, gets detailed and waxed often. The only thing that I hate is that the paint is shockingly bad, it doesn't scratch but it chips eg someone dinged my door at a carpark.... Didn't dent or scratch just chipped of to the primer. Loads of stone chips and the rear bumper, wife very bearly touched it with a shopping trolley and the top coat started chipping endlessly. İs anyone else experiencing this problem???

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,405 Posts
When I had an R55 (which was only four years old) the lacquer started coming off in sheets from the front bumper. Mini washed their hands of it, hopeless bunch of cunts. Apparently the paint is only guaranteed to stay stuck on the car for 12 months, the warranty we normally think will cover it is for perforation only

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've noticed this on some other cars, especially my 5 series. I think it's to do with the clear coat hardness. A lot of manufactures are using these clears now, they do reduce marring, fading and scratches but are prone to chip as there's no give in the clear when it gets hit.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Or a Lancia.
Yep..Delta Evo 1,only spent 6 months on axle stands on my drive. After I'd got the bits to fix a few issues found out that the axle stands were no longer on the outsides of the sills!! :oops:
My R53 sounds like it's going the same way as Astro's motor, lacquer coming off in sheets, think the roof is worst but the previous owner wrapped it to hide it.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Yep..Delta Evo 1,only spent 6 months on axle stands on my drive. After I'd got the bits to fix a few issues found out that the axle stands were no longer on the outsides of the sills!! :oops:
My R53 sounds like it's going the same way as Astro's motor, lacquer coming off in sheets, think the roof is worst but the previous owner wrapped it to hide it.
Mine wasn’t quire that bad, just a bit untidy around the windscreen etc.
I’d have another one if I could.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Same here, if I'd got the money to buy a quality Evo 2 I would. Would mean parting with the best part of £40-£60k dependant on year/ mileage/ condition though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts