MiniTorque.com banner

Why does my car sound different with the new tune?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  tb205gti 
#1 ·
I recently had a guy do a remote tune for me to get my R53 running better with the 380cc injectors. I was running a Way MotorWorks "Quick Tune", but it was pretty rich in the upper rpms so I wanted the tune dialed in better.

This new tune fixed the overly rich issue I was having, and the car seems to pull great. It feels like it has a little more grunt in the low/mid rpms also. The one strange thing I've noticed with this new tune is that the motor just sounds different. It has more of a "growl" than it did with the other tune. Even at a steady cruise on the highway at 70mph, the tone of the exhaust just sounds different. I'm still right around 14.5-15.0 on the AFR, so that's perfect......but what would have changed in the tune to make the car sound different? Would more or less timing do it? Besides the fuel and timing maps, what else could have changed?

Just curios as to what you could change in a tune to make such a difference in the sound of the motor?

Thoughts?

#3 ·
To me it sounds too lean by far, and generally your pump gas is worse Than here in Europe where most people post on this forum.
you will need a bunch of graphs showing the full picture and a list of mods to get any useful feed back, sorry but it’s very difficult to assist with the snapshot of information on your 1st post.

The r53 uses fuel to cool and most would recommend around 11-12 afr in the uk with 99 Ron, are your reading from a gauge or the tailpipe on a dyno?

#6 ·
if you're 14.5-15 above 4k on the move you have a problem I think

#8 ·
That's why I said above 4k ;O) He wasn't clear but I hope not...

Who the fuck does 70😂

You stay in 2nd grandma, I'm off.... 🏁😁

#10 ·
I recently had a guy do a remote tune for me to get my R53 running better with the 380cc injectors. I was running a Way MotorWorks "Quick Tune", but it was pretty rich in the upper rpms so I wanted the tune dialed in better.

This new tune fixed the overly rich issue I was having, and the car seems to pull great. It feels like it has a little more grunt in the low/mid rpms also. The one strange thing I've noticed with this new tune is that the motor just sounds different. It has more of a "growl" than it did with the other tune. Even at a steady cruise on the highway at 70mph, the tone of the exhaust just sounds different. I'm still right around 14.5-15.0 on the AFR, so that's perfect......but what would have changed in the tune to make the car sound different? Would more or less timing do it? Besides the fuel and timing maps, what else could have changed?

Just curios as to what you could change in a tune to make such a difference in the sound of the motor?

Thoughts?
I can take a look at your file to see if it is safe to run or nor - send me a DM if you'd like me to take a look at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.