MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be a multi question...

1. With a wheel size 17X8 will the car still be good on driving?(Not that sharp as 7-7.5 would be).Is it something that i can race it even in a track(i know that 7 is much better just trying to understand how far from the "edge" of not being normal is the 8.
2.Will it fit easy? Tyre size? Should i go 215 or 225?Is the 215 enough for 8in wheel or it will be to stretch so i will have to go 225?
3.Whats the maximum brake disc/rotor dia that can fit in 17? 330 or i can even go further to 356mm?

In an ideal world i would like to put 18X8.5 with 356mm 6pot in front 300mm 4pot back . But i guess i cant go 18X8.5 except if the car is only for stance or show but i will love to have 330 6pot in front and 300 4pot rear.

So the main question is..
Can i have 17X8 6pot callipers front and 4 back with big enough rotor/disc brakes but ALSO(and thats the difficult) not make the car swagy/stance ride i want it to be also available for nice corner hits....I know that many guys got even 10inch back but the car is fucking terrible..!

PS: Should i choose 17X8 et30 or 17X8 et40 wheels?

PS2:Should i have to change and "brake distibutor" for handbrake-abs because i would like to put 4pot rear?

PS3: If you remember back in the days R53 from Pedro Freitas(something like that) he had (or supposed at least) 6-8pot Porsche brakes front 4pot Porsche rear.

Thank you guys

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
I think you're going to be limited to 225/45 or use wider arches, I have them on R112's 7J which is the narrowest rim, 8J being the largest, 7.5 recommended.

I also have 6 pot Brembo's under the same wheels which were on 11mm spacers leaving ~4mm clearance to the spokes. Now with 225/45 I have 16mm up front and moved the 11mm to the rear, they do rub a bit at the back outer on b roads with a wheel and tyre set plus tools and a wife in the car so only really need 5 or 6mm to clear the inner liner. I don't like wheel poke or rub and these look just right really but I will reduce the rear spacers I think.

You won't get much bigger brakes under a 17 really, and I expect if you could that the price premium won't make it worthwhile. Also while I'm one of a few that support using bigger rear brakes, that's confined to using the R56S JCW 280mm kit with single piston which is all the car will need. If you fit 4 pots to the rear you'll have to use a bias controller or you will lose the rear I'm sure. Not worth it to look nice under the wheels but only my thoughts. If you did I doubt you'd have to change the master cylinder. I use the R53 original with R56 GP2 size brakes and the pedal is nice.

I think you'd end up with et30, 40 would look nicer if you could get them under, perhaps you might with a thin spacer for slightly less poke. You could use GP Garage arches, I have them on the other car which I think has 8's but only 225/45 still currently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R Tire Specs Chart

215/40R17 DIA: 23.7" 8.6" Rim Range 7-8.5" Rim measured 7.5" 9/32" SL 1074 lbs 51 psi 21.3 lbs 876
215/45R17 DIA: 24.5" 8.5" Rim Range 7-8" Rim measured 7" 9/32" SL 1201 lbs 51 psi 22.5 lbs 847
225/45R17 DIA: 24.8" 8.9" Rim Range 7-8.5" Rim measured 7.5" 9/32" SL 1356 lbs 51 psi 23.7 lbs 836

I know that i am close to this sweet limit but i dont know if i am able to fit it or not that why i am trying to find out if its possible or not before i order anything.
So you think that with 7.5mm spacer and 17X8 et 30 i wont rub my suspension not even the outer while im pushing in a corner..:/?? If my wheels are et30 will have bigger angle/concave than the et40 right??And also will be "more easy" to fit them right??If that is correct i prefer et30 so the wheels will have more "concave"
As for the brakes/calipers...Actually what i need for the looks on Brakes is exactly that...
https://www.google.gr/search?biw=2560&bih=975&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=K8zvXPWKN9yH1fAPmtiTkA0&q=pedro+freitas+mini+cooper&oq=pedro+&gs_l=img.1.0.35i39j0l9.84733.85630..87012...0.0..0.138.752.0j6......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i67.2bVaMNq7ee0#imgrc=K-tRsnfpq7ynDM:
https://www.google.gr/search?biw=2560&bih=975&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=K8zvXPWKN9yH1fAPmtiTkA0&q=pedro+freitas+mini+cooper&oq=pedro+&gs_l=img.1.0.35i39j0l9.84733.85630..87012...0.0..0.138.752.0j6......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i67.2bVaMNq7ee0#imgrc=_tgzoYjj64qvEM:

I dont care if i earn only just a little bit from this improvement and pay much(the car i never going to be sold so that money i am spending i know there are for a project that will stay as it is to remind me how cars used to be when everything will be electric in 30years or so:) BUT i really dont want to make anything worse because brakes is fucking safety..I dont compromise for safety.

As for the arches....Can you show me those arches???I have only find 2 different type of R56 wider arches and both of them are GROSS! I also want to find some wider arches but ONLY just a little bit 1 finger wider...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're going to be limited to 225/45 or use wider arches, I have them on R112's 7J which is the narrowest rim, 8J being the largest, 7.5 recommended.

I also have 6 pot Brembo's under the same wheels which were on 11mm spacers leaving ~4mm clearance to the spokes. Now with 225/45 I have 16mm up front and moved the 11mm to the rear, they do rub a bit at the back outer on b roads with a wheel and tyre set plus tools and a wife in the car so only really need 5 or 6mm to clear the inner liner. I don't like wheel poke or rub and these look just right really but I will reduce the rear spacers I think.

You won't get much bigger brakes under a 17 really, and I expect if you could that the price premium won't make it worthwhile. Also while I'm one of a few that support using bigger rear brakes, that's confined to using the R56S JCW 280mm kit with single piston which is all the car will need. If you fit 4 pots to the rear you'll have to use a bias controller or you will lose the rear I'm sure. Not worth it to look nice under the wheels but only my thoughts. If you did I doubt you'd have to change the master cylinder. I use the R53 original with R56 GP2 size brakes and the pedal is nice.

I think you'd end up with et30, 40 would look nicer if you could get them under, perhaps you might with a thin spacer for slightly less poke. You could use GP Garage arches, I have them on the other car which I think has 8's but only 225/45 still currently.
BTW thank you so much for your reply...!!I really do :D

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
I don't like them that much either, just bought the car pretty much as pictured, I'd prefer them body coloured but will most likely use standard arches body coloured

yes 30 will have a more concave look but your concern is getting them under the arches, I haven't spent much time messing around with bigger wheels but as I said above, I have seen 8's fitted and they were under the stock arch, I don't know the et but on yours I suspect you'd be closer with a 40 and a small spacer than a 30 and no spacer, I think you're best buying a 4x100 rim in 8j @ et40 even if an old scruffy one to see how it looks, I expect there are several on ebay etc.

those brakes are nice, about the only thing I'd consider changing for but ££££ no doubt and pads are probably expensive too compared to mine I expect.... nice if you can get them and they fit

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have 2 sets of 8j wheels under stock arches, they are 15s though but low and with sensible camber. 15x8 et36 with a 5mm spacer (et31) and 15x8 et25, both very close to the front coilovers. Only a couple of mm with the et31 setup. 8j et40 will not fit, et30 will be almost ideal depending on your suspension setup (assuming coilovers because who fits 8j on stock springs/dampers?). Even if you start with et40 you'll need spacers to take you to et30ish. You may even need to go to et25 or so if you plan on running 225 tyres. But you'll get barely any stretch with 205/45 or 215/45 on an 8j, at least with chunky track tyres.

Here's 15x8 et31 with 205/50 Federal 595RSR, no stretch at all but only just fits with stock arches at about 2 degrees camber.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
sticking out past the arch trims?

·
Bugger
25,201 Posts
PS3: If you remember back in the days R53 from Pedro Freitas(something like that) he had (or supposed at least) 6-8pot Porsche brakes front 4pot Porsche rear.

Thank you guys
Pedro ran something like 18x8 ET37 Ultra Leggeras, I cannot remember off hand what tyres he ran, but I think at one point it was 215-35-18 Parada Spec 2's.

The main question to ask is why and what are your aims for the kit? Looks, racing, general improvement?

Strictly speaking on UK roads going larger wheels (height and width) will compromise the handling a lot as in some cases your actually adding un-sprung mass. Theres performance BBK's that will go behind 15's and 16's if your aim is a road sport set up.

If your going down the track day brakes route very few of the off the shelf kits are that good. Reyland make some very nice options for AP calipers that fit behind the wheels as do Hi Spec, if you have a limitless budget then Alcon do a BBK for the R53/56.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts