MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me if there is a way of bringing back the rims of my wheels such as a particular cleaning product or will a refurb be required?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I take it you have tried iron-x? They look corroded to be honest. I think a refurb would be necessary. Why not take the opportunity to do the two rim sections in a different finish? New bolts? How much do you want to spend??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried Iron-x, what is that? If they need a refurb I will hold off for the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
It's good stuff. Looking at your photo again on my laptop I'm not sure those wheels are salvageable. I reckon breaking them down you could have a good go at the lip with some kind of polisher, but you'd have to have the tyres removed and then you may as well refurb.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
good luck getting the bolts out without snapping them in the rim, thread repairs on more than a few adds up as does the cost of the bolts if you can find them, refurb of split rims is more pieces so usually more money also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iron-X did not help with the rims so it looks like a refurb is needed, I am keen on keeping the original wheels.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Having refurbed four wheels on my Mini, all for minor kerbing, I would say it's not worth the effort. One of those jobs where unless you really want the experience, let a pro do it. Fifty quid ish a corner is reasonable & they'll always do it better.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
not all jobs are the same

I'm a long time agent for Pristine Wheels, there are plenty that can send back an ok looking wheel, but these guys handled warranty wheels with diamond turning for Mercedes Benz, Toyota, Lexus etc. I've seen stuff from other places that has fired big chips of filler off the rim when tyres have been fitted, or those saying they do diamond turned rims then send them out, or don't at all. Many are nice though, just compare processes before you leap ;O)

on the Ronal Web Design rims they'd probably work out to around £120 per rim charged per item, plus damage repairs typically £30/rim sometimes more if battered, and with split rims, plus engineering costs if required for snapped bolts that is always down to the owner of the wheels, plus replacement titanium bolts. Then tyre swaps on top.

easy to see why people buy aftermarket rims but there is a lot to be said for keeping nice cars original too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulling up an old thread here, I regularly keep an eye on ebay and have noticed these wheels either come up for sale as newly refurbished or in a rough condition like mine. I am concerned that perhaps due to the design do these wheels corrode easily? I would like to have them refurbished but if the finish will not last I will consider another wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Not many people clean their own cars anymore. The “hand car wash” places are not professionals to say the least and the car wash at the petrol station does nothing. Brake dust is corrosive. I live in London, is say 85-90% of the cars on my street have brown front wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
it's only really due to diamond turning that the rims go, then lack of cleaning which on these is best done periodically with the wheel off to get into the rim joint at the back. I guess you haven't yet tried to separate yours in preparation for a refurb?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was looking for a company to do the refurb. I assume the companies would prefer to have the wheels complete to work on.

So if one keeps on top of cleaning they should look like new for many years.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
not if they're being done properly they won't.

yes, but not if you do the rims diamond turned, it never lasts.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S with Milltek etc.
83 Posts
Diamond turned wheels look lovely when new and clean....but as others mentioned as soon as the lacquer degrades they very quickly turn awful.

Get them power coated I would

1 - 20 of 24 Posts