MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried Iron-x, what is that? If they need a refurb I will hold off for the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
It's good stuff. Looking at your photo again on my laptop I'm not sure those wheels are salvageable. I reckon breaking them down you could have a good go at the lip with some kind of polisher, but you'd have to have the tyres removed and then you may as well refurb.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
good luck getting the bolts out without snapping them in the rim, thread repairs on more than a few adds up as does the cost of the bolts if you can find them, refurb of split rims is more pieces so usually more money also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iron-X did not help with the rims so it looks like a refurb is needed, I am keen on keeping the original wheels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Having refurbed four wheels on my Mini, all for minor kerbing, I would say it's not worth the effort. One of those jobs where unless you really want the experience, let a pro do it. Fifty quid ish a corner is reasonable & they'll always do it better.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
not all jobs are the same

I'm a long time agent for Pristine Wheels, there are plenty that can send back an ok looking wheel, but these guys handled warranty wheels with diamond turning for Mercedes Benz, Toyota, Lexus etc. I've seen stuff from other places that has fired big chips of filler off the rim when tyres have been fitted, or those saying they do diamond turned rims then send them out, or don't at all. Many are nice though, just compare processes before you leap ;O)

on the Ronal Web Design rims they'd probably work out to around £120 per rim charged per item, plus damage repairs typically £30/rim sometimes more if battered, and with split rims, plus engineering costs if required for snapped bolts that is always down to the owner of the wheels, plus replacement titanium bolts. Then tyre swaps on top.

easy to see why people buy aftermarket rims but there is a lot to be said for keeping nice cars original too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts