MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd heard rumours of 40+ MPG. Last three tanks I've only managed between 32 and 34 (not including the 9.9 I got round Bedford :laugh:). I've not been caning it everywhere either - this has included at least 150 miles of motorway. Anyone noticed a difference with the sport button on or off? I think the car might be running rich, looking at the soot on the exhaust, but that might just be from the overrun for pops and crackles :cools:.

·
Mini Me.....
522 Posts
If I get 30mpg I am pleased, all these people claiming 40+ mpg must be behind the thing pushing it !

·
Vtec Yo!!!!!!
1,184 Posts
I seem to be averaging between 26 - 32mpg these days

Its quite funny when you have it on actual mpg and put the foot down. I've seen it go as low as 8mph :eek:hmy::laugh:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the reason people go back is it is easier to mod it (more options), and it may well turn out to have the more tunable engine anyway. Handling felt more precise too, in my brief comparison, but the JCW with sports suspension balanced that out. Stereo choice, or lack thereof is also an issue. And for some (including me I guess) the R53 just looks better. I often consider it, but need something newer and (hopefully) reliable. I'm still loving mine, just have those thoughts when I see all the mods people are doing and how nice the R53s can look. Better to ask someone who as actually done it though - can't see me changing now (famous last words lol!)

·
Premium Member
16,481 Posts
I think the reason people go back is it is easier to mod it (more options), and it may well turn out to have the more tunable engine anyway. Handling felt more precise too, in my brief comparison, but the JCW with sports suspension balanced that out. Stereo choice, or lack thereof is also an issue. And for some (including me I guess) the R53 just looks better. I often consider it, but need something newer and (hopefully) reliable. I'm still loving mine, just have those thoughts when I see all the mods people are doing and how nice the R53s can look. Better to ask someone who as actually done it though - can't see me changing now (famous last words lol!)
Ant will tell you all about it...

·
Biding my time...
32 Posts
Hey Cooper Man , what mods are you running ?
I was talking about the S - is yours a Cooper S or Cooper ?
56mpg is bloody good :thumbup:
Mine's a 180,000 mile 2003 R53, with...
15% pulley, Ultrik 4-2-1 mani, hi-flow cat, Blueflame cat back, GTT stage 1 head with hi-lift cam, 440 injectors, cooler plugs and of course a 1320 map ...but yes, I am driving it like a granny would because I'm waiting to get a GRS IC fitted later this month.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you paying for the intercooler through your reduced fuel bill? :)

·
Premium Member
16,481 Posts
Mine's a 180,000 mile 2003 R53, with...
15% pulley, Ultrik 4-2-1 mani, hi-flow cat, Blueflame cat back, GTT stage 1 head with hi-lift cam, 440 injectors, cooler plugs and of course a 1320 map ...but yes, I am driving it like a granny would because I'm waiting to get a GRS IC fitted later this month.
Well thats just mental then :w00t: Awesome ! :thumbup: 180k miles and still going strong :thumbup:

I just dont get how thats possible as mine has never got even close to that sort of mpg ::getcoat:: When I do a more accurate reading than the OBC gives out it works out at about 32mpg max - thats but knowing the miles done and how much fuel put in to fill thereby calculating how many miles done for how many gallons for a tank... Only once seen over 400 miles to a tank...

Thats awesome :thumbup:

Now stop farting around and put your foot on the loud pedal !! :lol: :w00t:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As it's all about the numbers here, I did a little science test, and with great restraint, no aircon and sport off, I managed to average 41 - mainly motorways at a steady 70 (i.e. being overtaken by everyone :blush:). Not sure how often I would be able to manage that self control.

Maybe all the 50 mph roadworks on the M4 are actually the nanny state forcing us to save petrol and go green. That, plus the scameras to line their pockets. :cursing:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts