MiniTorque.com banner

3721 - 3740 of 3747 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
Bank Holiday weekend installed different cylinder head ....... 'shed' ? Expected to find wear signs, tuned engine etc. Actually amazed to find it unmarked internally, so having got all parts to renew chain and gears, ends, just cleaned it a bit and fitted the head. Checked afr's seem ok to drive around, cuts out quite a lot, but did anyway as map isn't quite there, but it feels stronger up top.

There was nothing wrong with the car, and only has 45k, but still expected to see pick up on the rocker shafts or thrust marks in the bore, you know, just evidence of load, but none. Valves a good colour, piston tops all remarkably clean with uniform marks, slight heat marks on 1 plug porcelain, but still using 7's, renewed with 7's again, but have 8's. Will change the belt later in the year, and have a spare tensioner as damper is starting to weep, checked operation and all ok, 1320 didn't respond to calls for ARP studs and ATI damper, so used BMW studs, but have another head (Lohen BV)coming with ARP studs anyway, so will do the whole job again at 50k after this has been run up to record the power at this spec.

Car feels crisper, exhaust noisier, clears of from 4.5k up, especially after 5.5, and even with 215 RSR's grapples for grip in 3rd and 4th slightly in the dry haha, bit noisy for me under load, so after putting on the rollers it will get a tomcat, only took it out for 120 miles last Sunday, and needs a motorway run too, then will get it back to 1320 for a map tweak. Then do it all again. All fun haha.

Reactions: MinIan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Today's little mods

Hi all, today I made a couple of mods to the mini, just thought I'd show a couple of pics, love how much different the black looks on the lights, excuse the dirty car and exhaust.

Shame about the shit lighting of the pics.

Light covers from eBay and backlight surrounds from eBay from mini direct.

Next up black grill.(if anyone can do a quick photoshop to show me what it would be like I wouldn't say no :)

Also do we think the chrome brake ducts should stay to match the lights, or paint them black/ red?

Should I colour code the boot handle?

Next up tomorrow is red mirrors if they arrive and the weekend it's new tyres.

Also I want rid of the fried eggs but do I really need to remove the wheels to change the orange bulbs?
Before and after

·
Chillin'
703 Posts
Looking good. Definitely look better getting rid of the chrome surrounds, don't do red ducts, it looks cheap.

To do the indicators you just need to turn the wheel outwards on the side you want to change and remove the outer and inner circular panels and remove the bulb. Make sure they're seated correctly when you replace the panels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i popped over to longlife exhaust to get my back box deleted as it was leaking,i was expecting a noise difference but damn,it's loud

·
Registered
19 Posts
"Learner a new squeak"....:D:D:D:D ..... I am about to buy a Mini Checkmate..... so "Fucking MINIs..." I'm interested to hear what your experience has been and why you still own one? :)

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
"Learner a new squeak"....:D:D:D:D ..... I am about to buy a Mini Checkmate..... so "Fucking MINIs..." I'm interested to hear what your experience has been and why you still own one? :)
No idea why I still have mine, but this might be a better thread for your question: http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f29/high-mileage-r53s-what-issues-have-you-had-yours-166498/

My latest "mod" was to put my R53 on a trickle charger so I can use it as a music player in my garage while working on my sensible daily...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just replaced the Fuel filter under that back seat, jesus it was black and proper caked up. Had a nightmare with though as car then wouldnt start. After multiple retraced steps it finally turned out to be the skinny (bit baggy) O-ring just wasn't seated properly and just wasnt providing a good seal. Took me 6 hours in the end, thought "Oh this'll be a quick little job"...GRRRR. also snapped one of the smaller o-rings that the filter seats onto. Luckily had a spare. Coated them all in PTFE and they eventually all slid into place. Should be an easy job but theres definately a few "Gotcha's"

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
Picked up my daughter and fuelled the car, clearly shortening the diff has trashed consumption with over £48 getting just 196 miles, oweee! I have been pushing it a bit though haha.

Reactions: GC1980

·
Registered
156 Posts
Swapped out front discs for brembo drilled and grooved and onto my second turbosmart bov, this one fortunately working as its the mechanical one. Happy days!

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
Swapped out front discs for brembo drilled and grooved and onto my second turbosmart bov, this one fortunately working as its the mechanical one. Happy days!
Avoid drilled steel discs. If you intend to use them, they will crack.

3721 - 3740 of 3747 Posts