MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
0097D996-F39E-4F09-8908-635BD3CACBEE.jpeg
I’ve had my R53 for a few months but due to personal issues have rarely used it so I was looking at it yesterday and thought I’d try and realign the bumper. I was under the bonnet and noticed something amiss with the front engine mount where it picks up in the block, long story short the corner of the block was stuck on with sealant of some sort (see pictures) it’s too late to start throwing accusations around so here we are.
I have an idea to make an L bracket that picks up from the front of the block and bring it around to collect the damaged part and the rear mounting point and use longer bolts to attach it.
Or I swap the engine out or break it, all sounds like a ballache. Any other suggestions?
06303A30-07B2-465B-9E00-C11549395A80.jpeg

·
Registered
274 Posts
That is a bit naughty of the last person to work on vehicle!

Do you know of, or recommended, any engineers or welders who can weld cast? May be a bit tricky in situ, but remove the mount and raise the engine to possibly gain better access.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it can be welded but it needs lots of heat before being welded and a guy ive spoken to said it may distort and lead to problems around the gasket.

·
Premium Member
9,923 Posts
There's another three very hefty bolts holding it in. I'd be tempted to run it as is until you can get an alternative block. One of my mates was running about on three bolts for months. He didn't realise till we pulled the head off his car

·
Registered
38 Posts
That would be my view too. They're big old hefty bolts on that mount, I reckon itt could take the pressure until you work up the enthusiasm for a swap. Decent excuse for a new clutch, crank sensor o-ring, rear main seal, super charger oil service, suspension rebuild...

·
Registered
198 Posts
The corner of my Cousins block on his R53 has come off exactly the same as this, it’s been like it since he’s had the car, 2 years later and it’s fine, as it’s been said, the other 3 bolts hold the engine just fine. I wouldn’t worry about it personally, just make sure the others are tight at most

1 - 7 of 7 Posts