MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GMR Design UK ltd
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my names Sam i work for a company called GMR Design UK. You might have heard of us and what we do if you haven't heres a brief background...

GMR Design background
Back in 2011 Graham Heane (managing Director) set out to develop a forced-induction automotive system for the Aston Martin V8 Vantage with only two design parameters.
1) The system should be of a quality and appearance that justifies its place under a bonnet bearing the Aston Martin wings.
2) it should enhance the traditional driving characteristics of an Aston Martin V8: a modern, efficient, flexible, civilised road car engine with readily-available power. it should be antithesis of a temperamental, high-revving, racing-style, modified car.
More than 4 years of intensive development work has created a reliable system with three Principal features.
1) The latest, exceptionally efficient, positive-displacement, non-centrifugal, Eaton TVS supercharger.
2) Our own Geyser water-injection charge-cooling system.
3) Exhaustive electronic tuning using our own proprietary software that has produced remarkable performance without interfering with any of the cars safety systems.

The result took the 4.3 V8 Vantage from 380bhp to 580bhp at the wheels. Max torque from 5500rpm to 3500rpm with max boost at 2500rpm. It's now a everyday car with power on demand!

There are a total of 22 Aston's with our system on currently and we are the only people in the world to do this type of system for this car.
2 of which we built with ACR performance in Tokyo which they revealed at Tokyo Auto Salon.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/01/acr-performance-aston-martin/

R53 Mini Cooper S JCW
I've Owned my MCS JCW for a year now and love it! The cars great fun on B roads and still keeps up with the new hot hatches coming out. But, myself and other owners of a Cooper S will know how hot the supercharger can get. Managing the temperature is not easy and the intercooler will only cool the temperatures whilst the car is moving and there is air flowing through it. I've experienced this myself sitting in traffic for a period of time the heat soak from the engine is going to get to the Intake manifold raising its temperature close to the same temperature as the coolant (50 degrees C plus!). Once you start moving again its going to take time for it to cool again, . The charge that is being cooled by the intercooler is going to be raised in temperature again as it enters the Intake manifold. This will causing knock (pre-detonation) meaning the car while reduce the timing, resulting in a lose of power. I notice it most after sitting in traffic, once its cleared and you get a free run the car doesn't feel quite as quick as it has done.

Since i started working with GMR Design we've spoken a few times about a Geyser water injection for the Mini. We managed to fit a simplified version of the system to my Mini for a proof of concept. We asked ourselves: will it work? what gains will it give to the car? how efficient is it to start with before more tuning and refining
The system is still on my car and I'm using it everyday, the feel of the car is totally changed! the throttle response and low down torque have really improved, squeezing the throttle from 1500rpm in 4th no longer has a delay the powers instant! whether I’m on part throttle or full you really notice the difference. As a back to back test i drove with the water on for a few days and then off. once i turned it off i felt myself pressing the throttle more and the car felt sluggish. once i turned it back on the car felt great always on its toes!

MPG
On my normal drive to work (around 15miles) in traffic with only 1 short run, the best MPG i could was 25. With the water injection turned on i now get 30! it only dropped below that one day when i got stuck in traffic start stop for over an hour which you would expect. just by spraying a mist of water into the intake i’ve got 20% better fuel efficiency.

Next steps
Now that we know the car benefits from water injection and there is an improvement we are going to fine tune the system. Already looking into a smaller pulley and other supporting mods. As a guess we are looking to gain +50bhp, my cars been dyno’d so we have a baseline and it is still making 210bhp after 82,000 miles and 8 owners which I’m pleased about and is reassuring.

Updates as and when on this thread

Cheers

·
GMR Design UK ltd
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car looks like a good base for modding. Don't really see how water injection could have gains at 1500rpm. Other than that it's known to work on the R53.

+50bhp with a pulley on a JCW 210? Not unless your supporting mods include a cam and a BVH.

Almost forgot: coilovers. Welcome to MT.
The water at 1500 reduces the knock caused from pressing the pedal to hard, it gives the air and fuel time to mix giving more torque to get you going and better throttle response. another thing to note is we are using 100% water! not a water-meth mix. the results already are great but we know they can be even better.

As for coilovers ordering them next week :thumbup1:

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
8,315 Posts
Before and after dynos will be required
Or it never happened :lol:

We are a hard bunch to please initially, but get past the 1st few weeks you will find the vibe is positive
A few here have already run water injection systems on all the mini platforms so you have a informed audience who won't be impressed by generalisation

Welcome to MT
For my 10p I can tell you as fact, the mini likes meth, :thumbup1:

·
GMR Design UK ltd
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before and after dynos will be required
Or it never happened :lol:

We are a hard bunch to please initially, but get past the 1st few weeks you will find the vibe is positive
A few here have already run water injection systems on all the mini platforms so you have a informed audience who won't be impressed by generalisation

Welcome to MT
For my 10p I can tell you as fact, the mini likes meth, :thumbup1:
There's definitely going to be a before and after with a list of mods.

Graham the MD has a background in aircraft engineering and managed to tune the Aston's very well indeed they are incredible to drive. He seriously knows his stuff. We are using the water to cool the charge temp rather than adding more fuel. It's going to be used along side other mods.

I'm looking forward to meeting people and learning more about these fun little toys!

·
GMR Design UK ltd
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The system is as simple as a pump spraying water into the intake at a set pressure.

Once theres more progress we'll come back to this as of now this is very early stages of the system, we know this will work and will get very good gains out of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Really old thread - I know, but this made me giggle..

it gives the air and fuel time to mix
I was not aware that adding water could make time travels possible. No matter how much water you add - the time cannot be changed. At any given rpm you ALWAYS have the same amount of time where fuel and gas can mix - you cannot change this by adding water, or any other additive..

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
8,315 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts