MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my Mini it had water in the battery tray which must have been almost over the positive connector on the side , quite how it didn't short out is very lucky. Anyway I cleaned it out and thought I had solved the ingress by tightening the boot latch to stop it getting in I have fitted a new wiper motor kit so its not coming from that but it was wet again today and looks like its running down the inside edge of the boot seal to the join near the latch then runs into the boot ?
Should the seal have some sealant along the part that slides onto the lip of the boot opening ?

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Common places are the wiper spindle, boot handle seal, light seals.
Remove the inner boot trim, get in with a torch and have your nearest and dearest hose around.
Youll be certain then.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Try the upper brake light. The foam seal often needs to be stuck back down to the light. Mine did. Ten minutes and some Gorilla glue later and the leak was fixed.

Wiper spindle is also worth a look. Always replace with a new one not second-hand.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like it runs in down the seal though, new motor,seal, arm kit from ebay. I'll check the brake light ta

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
if the brake light, you can sometimes see water emerge from between the top inner screen surround trim and the one below that it overlaps if you go to close the boot while looking at the join.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first bought my Mini it had water in the battery tray which must have been almost over the positive connector on the side , quite how it didn't short out is very lucky. Anyway I cleaned it out and thought I had solved the ingress by tightening the boot latch to stop it getting in I have fitted a new wiper motor kit so its not coming from that but it was wet again today and looks like its running down the inside edge of the boot seal to the join near the latch then runs into the boot ?
Should the seal have some sealant along the part that slides onto the lip of the boot opening ?
I've had the same problem. It's the high level brake light. Remove, reseal and refit.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry forgot to reply, water was running inside the seal then into the boot either side

1 - 8 of 8 Posts