MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went in my boot today and noticed the carpet was wet, soaking in fact. I looked under the carpet and the battery was swimming in about 3 inches of water. Any thoughts as to where this might be entering the car? Nothing forward of the boot is wet and I pressure washed it yesterday (the outside not the boot :) )

·
Farmer boy!
3,846 Posts
Theres been quite a few threads about this.

Rear wiper seal, third brake light, spoiler, boot handle, loose boot seal.

Take out all of the plastic trims / liner from the boot door, close it, get a hose and run it over the boot from the outaide for a bit, make sure you give it all a good soaking!

Check all of the above areas for wetness

Job done

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Once it's dried out properly I'll give that a try. The thing that's bugging me is the amount of water that was inside, I'd guess at least 2 litres. There was no way I could've got that much water inside during one wash (it was dry inside 2 weeks ago when it was last washed) unless I'd left the boot wide open and pointed the pressure washer inside.

Then I remembered the snow, I left the car covered in 4 inches (I'm so uncaring!) until it thawed on its own. That makes a little more sense, it doesn't explain how it got inside, maybe it thawed then refroze over night blocking a drain hole or even moving a seal then thawed again entering the car. Anyway, my money says I won't find a leak when hosing the car but I'll give it a try. Suffice to say when it snows on my car again, I'll be clearing it off.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
There's a bung in the battery tray, take that out and it'll empty, then just just kitchen towel to mop up the water. I've had this problem, only mine was about 6" deep! Surprised I didn't get a tank slapper!

My leak was coming from the join between rear panel and the boot floor on the left hand side. I used sealant to seal it. Job done :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a bung in the battery tray, take that out and it'll empty, then just just kitchen towel to mop up the water. I've had this problem, only mine was about 6" deep! Surprised I didn't get a tank slapper!

My leak was coming from the join between rear panel and the boot floor on the left hand side. I used sealant to seal it. Job done :)
I've drained it now, just trying to dry the carpet. Annoyingly the emergency tools and wheel brace in the jack kit turned the water rusty so now I've a rust coloured coating everywhere. 6"!? You should've fitted a snorkel to your battery!

Could also be the rear wiper jet hose has come off, do you use it much?

It really dont take much to fill then either!
I never use the rear washer or wiper. Those things are for people who don't wash their cars often enough! :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well what a lousy wet day it turned out to be unless your trying to find a leak in the back end of your Mini then it was perfect. I stripped the trim from the inside of the boot door, removed the parcel shelf and dropped the back seats then laid on my back, in the back, watching for the water, I probably looked a right cunt. Anyway it turns out the water is dripping off one of the plastic clips that hold the belt line trim to the boot door so I got out and removed said trim to find most of the clips are broken so the rubber isn't being pulled tight enough against the glass letting water get under the trim in turn it's getting inside the car through the holes where the clips attach to the boot lid. Bingo!

I smeared everything with Vaseline (the clips and the inside of the rubber strip, nothing else!) in the hope that it will hold a little water out but water is a fucker and will still get in I'm sure. So I need to replace the clips, I'm guessing this might be a dealer only replacement part unless anyone knows otherwise? I had a quick Google but only found a yank site and only clips for the rear quarter and not the boot.

·
Registered
2 Posts

hello, every time it rains on the right side it gets wet and the water somehow comes from the back (with the bumper) at the joint between the panel and the floor. I think the water drains down the cheddar and somehow gets between that lining of the panel. Could you attach a picture of me where you sealed? thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I’ve got to check mine as the Carpet had some damps areas and a small amount of water was in the battery well. However our rear wash doesn’t work, so it may be the hose emptying via the tailgate for us

·
Registered
925 Posts
I’ve got to check mine as the Carpet had some damps areas and a small amount of water was in the battery well. However our rear wash doesn’t work, so it may be the hose emptying via the tailgate for us
If yours is pre 2004 facelift then you can swap out the rubbish old Trico and fit the kit containing the newer Valeo rear wiper and motor:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The hatch has so many points where water gets in, third brake light, window top trim clips, back wiper mount, belt trim clips, emblem logo hole, trim above license plate clips, plate lights, plate holder clips. I put black silicone around every possible hole there is to the hatch, and it was still leaking. It was the hatch seals. I took off the hatch seal, cleaned up everything, put silicone inside the seal, and put it back. The battery compartment is dry even when its down pouring or through car wash. I essentially water proofed everything. Hope that helps.
Oh also, lookout for rusting under the trunk seal right where the latch is. Water tends to pool inside that area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts