MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title after a decent priced Milltek resonated centre pipe for the R53 exhaust system, mine is starting to rattle a little bit so I think the baffles are on the way out

if you have one going spare then let me know

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Is that the one you bought from me Jim? :eek:

Sucks if it is, I had it fitted in Dec '15 on just under 48k miles. Took it off early jan '17 on just under 50k miles.

Was stored in a warm (but not heated) garage for 3yrs, but I can't see that causing issues.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the same one, more than happy with the use I’ve had out of it for what I paid you, been on 2 cars, back boxes changed a couple of times too, so it’s been on and off a few times since I had it, I think it was august 2019 I got it off you and I’ve easily put 15k miles on it on rock hard suspension!

it’s only an ever so slight rattle now and again on idle, I’ve checked it’s not the tunnel heat deflector loose or anything like that too

Anyway looks like alski has sorted me out with a replacement, just need to arrange collecting it

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Yeah the same one, more than happy with the use I’ve had out of it for what I paid you, been on 2 cars, back boxes changed a couple of times too, so it’s been on and off a few times since I had it, I think it was august 2019 I got it off you and I’ve easily put 15k miles on it on rock hard suspension!

it’s only an ever so slight rattle now and again on idle, I’ve checked it’s not the tunnel heat deflector loose or anything like that too

Anyway looks like alski has sorted me out with a replacement, just need to arrange collecting it
My Direnza centre does the same every now and again but it's got a dent in the centre section so not surprised 😂

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bit of a bump for this thread, after another R53 milltek resonated pipe, the one I fitted has began to rattle badly now

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Bit of a bump for this thread, after another R53 milltek resonated pipe, the one I fitted has began to rattle badly now
Are they that bad? Don’t seem to be lasting long for you. I have one on mine, concerned it’s not going to last me too long now.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both mine were used so can’t really comment on how long a new one will last, I’m going to put the less rattly old one back on when I get the chance if I can’t get another one

·
Premium Member
6,046 Posts
any value do you think in taking the one that's off the car into an exhaust place to open it and reweld whatever is falling apart before refitting?

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any value do you think in taking the one that's off the car into an exhaust place to open it and reweld whatever is falling apart before refitting?
suppose I could take it to my local garage and see what they recon unless you know if anyone you recommend

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Any metal fabrication shop will fix that for you Jim - theres loads around Crewe way.
Any custom exhaust shop too. JP exhaust eg.
If its mild steel Il do it for you but if its stainless Im not great at welding that.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think there is a powerflow place in town, I’ll go and see them

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the rattle from the current exhaust

hopefully I’ll have time next week to get the other to the exhaust people in town

·
Registered
167 Posts
I’ve a full Milltek system on my R50. Not sure if age, but it’s been there for the 5 years I’ve had the car. Not a rattle or anything untoward, so I don’t know if it’s different on the R53, or just unlucky

I’ve also fitted a resonated Milltek centre on the wife’s R53, which I got for £90 2nd hand. I don’t know how old that is either, but it is corrosion free and no rattles.

As a result, I’ve got a non-res centre pipe if you want it, which came on the car, but it genuinely causes headaches inside

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks anyway but it’s a resonated one I need

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I popped into the powerflex place and they wouldn’t open it to have a look but could replace the resonator box, would cost me £150, i can get a new milltek pipe off eBay for £178 so I’d sooner go down that route if I have to pay out that sort of money

1 - 20 of 24 Posts