MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I joined this forum yesterday and posted a wanted for mini JCW side skirts I was responded to by a Sam Pearson it turns out he is a complete scammmer and I just got seen off for £140 using pay pal. He insisted that payment had to be paypal Friends and family. I now know why! He is using [email protected] and claims his brother is [email protected]. Ive learnt a lesson here as Ive never paid anyone with PP Friends and family before and the reason is paypal can do nothing about freinds and family.
Please warn off other members on this forum. I have now picked up that he is trolling these car forums and has been reported and caught out. I am sending a report to www.action fraud.police.ukand will call UK 03001232040 as advised by Paypal as they cannot do anything due to friends and family.
Thanks for your understanding (For Sale - Don't get scammed! )
Gareth Pope

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi I joined this forum yesterday and posted a wanted for mini JCW side skirts I was responded to by a Sam Pearson it turns out he is a complete scammmer and I just got seen off for £140 using pay pal. He insisted that payment had to be paypal Friends and family. I now know why! He is using [email protected] and claims his brother is [email protected]. Ive learnt a lesson here as Ive never paid anyone with PP Friends and family before and the reason is paypal can do nothing about freinds and family.
Please warn off other members on this forum. I have now picked up that he is trolling these car forums and has been reported and caught out. I am sending a report to www.action fraud.police.ukand will call UK 03001232040 as advised by Paypal as they cannot do anything due to friends and family.
Thanks for your understanding (For Sale - Don't get scammed! )
Gareth Pope
Correct email to report Frauld Action Fraud

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Thanks for the headsup and bad luck.
I knew it was rife on FB and sorry its happened on here.
I dont recognise the user name so dont think hes an active member.
Some scummy cunts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He joined the day before. I’m not a user of FB but the message here is dont pay friends and family ( always business they will not see it. You have protection from PP if you do this) I reported it to the UK Police crime number NFRC210204297860 he has been reported 18 days ago on another car forum For Sale - Don't get scammed!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oldest trick in the book, PayPal friends & family or direct bank transfer. Either payment methods strongly suggest scam. A lesson we’ve all learnt the hard way, myself included. Also placing any wanted ad leaves you open to such people plus if the price is low be suspicious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes thanks. I’m a newbie here and I’d the first time ive down PP FF. so ill take it a costly course in life. Appreciate your comments about putting a wanted post up. Ill be more careful and go by my initial suspicions next time.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Touch wood Ive not been had and only this morning bought something off facebook. Added 5% to the asking price and paypal goods'd him.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
a few use/request PP F&F including myself, the difference being if known and trusted MT members, always a risk one must choose to accept, or not, on FB these fake accounts are rife but not here really, one or two issues with people over the years, so it does make sense to take care to do the right thing and be prepared to pay the additional fees rather than expect a seller to absorb them which is the crux of the problem imo, buyers don't want to pay more so do it the risky way, sellers don't want to absorb them when selling stuff affordably especially when offers then get made too. Also people don't trust PayPal to side with the right party even if there were a dispute, so sellers can be reluctant, understandably.

sorry to hear your experience was such as this, crap for any, but especially a new user perhaps.

It's a good idea to also to look at a users details, what interaction do they have with the site/community, how long here, how many posts, search through their posts too, don't just look at the number, as the quality of them could be shite, always abusive or in themselves scam content, so click the profile and look further, then make your call on trust, or ask out loud and we'll have users that might have bought from people before etc.

if you're on FB maybe post up the name there as the same person will no doubt be trying similar perhaps,

otherwise you'll have heard the saying, is a deal/price appears too good to be true, it probably is, £140 for R56 Aero skirts unless damaged would be just that.

most scams are gmail accounts, second are hotmail,

Reactions: Vaios

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Yes thanks. I’m a newbie here and I’d the first time ive down PP FF. so ill take it a costly course in life. Appreciate your comments about putting a wanted post up. Ill be more careful and go by my initial suspicions next time.
Hopefully you become an active member on here and if you want to buy something off a member, maybe create a post asking other members if the seller is sincere.
Ive sold lots on here and always insisted on friends but guess my rep for being genuine comforted the buyers.

Did you get Sam Pearsons phone number? If so post it up and we can start calling him at all hours 😂

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 195bhp (so far!)
541 Posts
This forum really needs some sort of policing of the classifieds, other forums I use have a minimum amount of (meaningful) posts a member has to post before they are allowed to post in the classifieds or it’s limited to paid members only

it can’t be that hard to implement surely

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Yeah I agree, I think in this instance thoughJim, Gaz has put a wanted post up and Sam Pearson has DMd him.
Difficult to police.
Suppose there could be a minimum number of posts before you are able to DM members.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Thanks for posting and making us all aware, sorry it's happened to you.

Definitely listen your spider sense if something seems to good to be true, and if people won't accept G&S on paypal add the extra on top, small price to pay for protection (y)

Hope you're hunt for some skirts ends in success!

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
a few use/request PP F&F including myself, the difference being if known and trusted MT members,
This.

I request & pay via FF regularly, including on Facebook, but always do a brief background check of the person to check there's no alarm bells. No/low post count or a private account on Facebook are a no go to me.

Sorry that you've been diddled though. Hopefully it doesn't sour your use of the forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to report that after registering a crime to the fraud office I have now been refunded by SAM PEARSONS so called brother . But Not after serious messaging back and forth. A lesson learned and also if its wrong don’t give up trying to get your money back. !!!!!! Thanks to all for your messages

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Fantastic, glad you’ve got your money back, it really is a shame you had to go through all that bother!

Welcome to the site and let’s hope that it’s now only the mini that takes all of your hard earned cash!

If you’ve got project on the go, get a thread up 👍🏽

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
This.

I request & pay via FF regularly, including on Facebook, but always do a brief background check of the person to check there's no alarm bells. No/low post count or a private account on Facebook are a no go to me.

Sorry that you've been diddled though. Hopefully it doesn't sour your use of the forum.
I’m private on Facebook, no friends and can’t be added 😄

Only signed up recently to sell bits but will probably keep it for the owners club once everything has sold.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Two years ago I sold a fully reconditioned (with receipt) 5 speed, short ratio JDM gearbox from an Impreza Type R. I sold it cheap for £750 through ebay. Two blokes from West Bromwich picked it up. They looked well dodgy and were trying to bid me £400 etc on my driveway...Eventually they paid what they had bid using their phone.
About 3 weeks later I get a message from ebay saying that the gearbox was damaged and I'd mislead them blah blah.
You can guess the rest..
Ebay sided with the thieves. Aided them in stealing my £750 and said they could keep the gearbox unless I collected it. Thieves refused to answer the phone or espond to email of ebay messages. Ebay customer services didnt want to know.
I had a 100% positive feedback rating and almost 2000 feedbacks ( a lot for a private punter).
I cancelled my account, only reinstating a new one recently to buy a one off item during lockdown... Ive never used ebay since.
We've all been ripped off at least once..Lot of scum out there.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Yeah cash on collection only for eBay if I'm selling a big item so no way for the buyer to get the money back if they're scammers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Two years ago I sold a fully reconditioned (with receipt) 5 speed, short ratio JDM gearbox from an Impreza Type R. I sold it cheap for £750 through ebay. Two blokes from West Bromwich picked it up. They looked well dodgy and were trying to bid me £400 etc on my driveway...Eventually they paid what they had bid using their phone.
About 3 weeks later I get a message from ebay saying that the gearbox was damaged and I'd mislead them blah blah.
You can guess the rest..
Ebay sided with the thieves. Aided them in stealing my £750 and said they could keep the gearbox unless I collected it. Thieves refused to answer the phone or espond to email of ebay messages. Ebay customer services didnt want to know.
I had a 100% positive feedback rating and almost 2000 feedbacks ( a lot for a private punter).
I cancelled my account, only reinstating a new one recently to buy a one off item during lockdown... Ive never used ebay since.
We've all been ripped off at least once..Lot of scum out there.
Then that is theft as Ebay do not have the right to give your goods away unless you collect them, refund up on return is legal.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
There are some thieving cunts Keith and thats a real stinger. Ebay is a shambles unless they pay cash.
Always sell things for cash on collection! That way ebay cannot take the money back off you.
I sold a chicken hutch last year, clearly stated cash on collection. They clicked buy it now and paypald me.
Even though it cost me - I refunded them and insisted on cash on collection. Would rather lose a few quid in fees than the whole cost of the hutch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts