MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I Like Turtles.
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title really. At constant speed its completely fine but under hard acceleration i get vibration through the front end of the car , mainly steering wheel.

Any ideas? I have a feeling after searching around online it could be a driveshaft problem..

Its worst in 2nd gear above 2000rpm and 3rd gear.It seems the higher rpm the worse it is.

Please help guys!:confused1:

·
Bugger
25,316 Posts
what he said ^, start with the small things like wheel balance also check to see if your tryes are mounted right and check the pressures.

if its the drive shafts it will stop once you reach a cursing speed, or dont accelerate hard as thats what my car did, if its the gear box or flywheel it will remain at certain speeds or rpms

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
It disappoints me when i hear of these Coilover issues, I really want to fit a set but with all these stories of knocking from rear and vibration issues its really starting to put me off a bit, I just want to fit and forget about them and not introduce a whole new set of problems that will cost me dough to sort out, I wouldn't mind spending money on sorting out the camber but all the rest, I'm not so sure...

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
how low did you drop it?
what brand are you using?
do you have camber plates? If so, where are they set?

·
I Like Turtles.
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pic below to show how low. There on AP's and dont have camber plates

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
that's pretty low, what spring rate?
are they linear or progressive springs?

18" wheels too?

·
Registered
586 Posts
It disappoints me when i hear of these Coilover issues, I really want to fit a set but with all these stories of knocking from rear and vibration issues its really starting to put me off a bit, I just want to fit and forget about them and not introduce a whole new set of problems that will cost me dough to sort out, I wouldn't mind spending money on sorting out the camber but all the rest, I'm not so sure...
This.

·
Bugger
25,316 Posts
i had AP's i junked them as i hated them with a passion

·
Registered
311 Posts
ive got AP's nothing wrong with them mate ,i had the whole vibration under gunning it and i was advised to raise it by 5 mm increments to see if that would help, a couple of turns on the adjuster and all vibration went ,but balancing and full alighnment is all ways good ,it was in the end the drive shaft angle ,mine about 40 mm drop which is nice

·
Bugger
25,316 Posts
oh theres plenty wrong with AP's i found it like driving on jelly,

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
I run KW v1s and I had a 50mm drop... Vibrated like fook... Now at around 35mm. Still vibrates a little... Wheels aligned and balanced correctly...

·
Bugger
25,316 Posts
i was down 40mm on the cross with no rattles till the drive shaft broke lol, but most lowered R53's will ruin the left hand DS

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
its the drive shafts causing it. It is well documented with the mini that even lowering a vibration is caused. When I spoke to the guys who are making my drive shafts they said the mini drive shafts are not made for lowering and will cause damage over time. Something to do with the wrong cup joint which causes the vibration.

Most lowered minis I have driven do have the vibration on acceleration

·
I Like Turtles.
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its the drive shafts causing it. It is well documented with the mini that even lowering a vibration is caused. When I spoke to the guys who are making my drive shafts they said the mini drive shafts are not made for lowering and will cause damage over time. Something to do with the wrong cup joint which causes the vibration.

Most lowered minis I have driven do have the vibration on acceleration
Thanks for the imput man. As long as its not doing any serious, unrepairable damage to my car i can live with it...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts