MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres a few posts on this, but from what ive seen theres not thwt many posts stating valueble information other than nos is way more easier and simpler which may be the case but i want to either twincharge or either turbo
I like the idea of twincharge more as its the best of both worlds admitingly i believe there would be a factor of boost difference between both units which would have to be eliminated.
From looking at the alta kit and what is suplied it seems pritty simple.
As id be doing all the work my self apart from tuning i dont believe the build would be so extencive iv sourced most of the bits for the build and its going to cost around £1200 +/- £300 as im only going a cheep turbo till I achieve the right size for it to work In conjunction with the s/c
Its more the technical side of things that ill probably get stuck.. With the boost controler wiring in/ stand alone ecu wiring in ..
I know alot of people have done a simular build so if you could all shed some light onit
And please dont tell me about nos (i dont want nos ) ??

Many thanks
Reecej

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know Ty, (his username is- hoppinmad ) is twin charging his, maybe hp worth asking him
Thats great , thanks mini turbo

I will try find him and send him a private message ..
Id asume if u keep it pritty close to the alta kit you should be able 2 get away with it
+ it would sound friggin awsome ��������

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Think you will need a bigger budget even if you do your own work, the injectors, pistons and remap will consume most of that especially if you go stand alone ECU which most do. I have in the past done the same low cost build - I did a gen 7 supercharged for less than £1500 but it was hard to do and would have been better if I spent the extra money.

Areas you will struggle is with the plastic inlet to the blower, that will just pop off if you boost down it. Your best bet would be to either add a clutch to the blower to switch it off and let the turbo take over, same as the VW 1.4 twin charge. The system is simple enough but it has not been a big hit with the minis. A lot of us have thought about it but most go turbo only conversion or as I have a large supercharger.

To do it right a clutched rotrex and turbo would be a good combo but your budget will be destroyed.
Not doing your pistons and internals may see a sad end to the project but have a go - another engine is only a weekends work to fit and a few hundred

I'd like to see you do it but after messing with minis for years I would say put the money into what you have as that can yeild great power alone without all the issues twin changing brings

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think you will need a bigger budget even if you do your own work, the injectors, pistons and remap will consume most of that especially if you go stand alone ECU which most do. I have in the past done the same low cost build - I did a gen 7 supercharged for less than £1500 but it was hard to do and would have been better if I spent the extra money.

Areas you will struggle is with the plastic inlet to the blower, that will just pop off if you boost down it. Your best bet would be to either add a clutch to the blower to switch it off and let the turbo take over, same as the VW 1.4 twin charge. The system is simple enough but it has not been a big hit with the minis. A lot of us have thought about it but most go turbo only conversion or as I have a large supercharger.

To do it right a clutched rotrex and turbo would be a good combo but your budget will be destroyed.
Not doing your pistons and internals may see a sad end to the project but have a go - another engine is only a weekends work to fit and a few hundred

I'd like to see you do it but after messing with minis for years I would say put the money into what you have as that can yeild great power alone without all the issues twin changing brings
Thats great pal , thanks for the advice .. Tbh i dont know why i put the budget i know it will be way more
Ok if i go down the single turbo route could i posibly run off the stock ecu? If im after 300whp? As it would surely be in presure region of the sensors of the stock ecu?

Lets say i go fully turbo and forget all the mechanical stuff i would need to make as thats a no brainer

What electronic parts would i need to purchase and wire in to get a turbo build at 300whp?
I will be purchasing forged rods and pistons before the turbo build is completed so internals is no problem for boost
Also with it been a positive compression engine instead of concaved pistons as on turbo'd engines would i produce more power or less?
Thanks

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
300whp is achievable though a turbo - probably get that from a T28 without too much issue but you will find that your map sensors will be un-supporting of the boost you will want and then I believe you will need...

got to go do something I will be back a little later to carry on

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
300whp is achievable though a turbo - probably get that from a T28 without too much issue but you will find that your map sensors will be un-supporting of the boost you will want and then I believe you will need...

got to go do something I will be back a little later to carry on

Yea please carry on �� i need information ..... ������

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm heading down a similar path at the moment

Major intercooler upgrade is important with twincharging compounding the boost creates Alot of heat that you need to manage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts