MiniTorque.com banner

421 - 440 of 472 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
I love how focused you are coordinating your colours. Keeps it tidy and looking fantastic as always
Thanks I try not to go over the top with an accent colour, seen it too many times where people just paint everything the accent colour and its too much. Rich Philips was always a big influence and taught me well.

Need to do something with those pink braces I think now theres yellow under the bonnet.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,629 Posts
Thanks I try not to go over the top with an accent colour, seen it too many times where people just paint everything the accent colour and its too much. Rich Philips was always a big influence and taught me well.

Need to do something with those pink braces I think now theres yellow under the bonnet.
You don't need an excuse
Pink was just wrong to begin with

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #434

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
My 1st car was a 1072... Well it was technically the 1st thing I learnt to drive in. The mini was a bit small in contrast when I got that.
Yeah that’s not an insubstantial bit of kit. First things I drove were series landies and Ford 5000 tractors.

·
Bugger
25,314 Posts
Yeah that’s not an insubstantial bit of kit. First things I drove were series landies and Ford 5000 tractors.
We also had two 4wd Fords for the farm which were rather nice. We had a small classic Massey for towing the cutter bar and medow cutting.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
Next it was on to cutting metal, please excuse the messy edges, I didnt take any pics after I tidied them up and painted them with touch up paint:

There are lots of pics of what you have to cut for an Airtec/GRS front mount so hopefully someone finds these useful:

Airtec front mount by James Baker, on Flickr

With the scoop and grill removed, you can see why you need to trim those bits:

Putting things back together:

The finished product, including the cabrio braces in body colour. I also have spare inlet manifold and intercooler horns which will be going matt black when I fit the head etc as they stand out in this pic:

If you are thinking of going for a front mount on an R53, please note its a simple job to get the front mount fitted, the hard work is the cutting and adjustment to get the bonnet to close, its not a job for the faint hearted and does take some work to get it fitted. Once done, hopefully its worth it, will let you know how inlet temps look tomorrow.

Also had this lot from Sparco delivered this week, ready to Mini's at Curborough tomorrow, I will be taking my gopro and drone, so will hopefully get some good footage:

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
As always, owning a Mini is a learning curve and "F%#king Mini's" was a common phrase out of my mouth at Curborough last week. Big thanks to Simon and Cleo who arranged a great day and we raised plenty of money for cancer research which is a bonus.

On arrival it was great to take a look around plenty of Mini's well set up for track use, which has given me plenty of ideas to match the performance of my R53 to its look.

First time out and I made 3/4 of lap before all power disappeared and I limped around the rest of the track to the pits. Lifting the hood I was pleased to see it was nothing more than a boost leak from the intercooler horns. As expected the silicone snoot boots just weren't up to the job and had slipped off. I had originally tried to use the stock snoot boots but couldnt get them to fit as they are too wide.

We tightened everything up and went again, this time I didnt even make it off the start light, on launch they shot straight off again. So again I limped back in and stripped it all down. Luckily someone in the pits had a stock pair of snoot boots which they were nice enough to lend me. It took a lot of adjustment of pipework etc but with the help from the likes of [email protected], [email protected] Lohen and Craig, we managed to get the stock snoot boots on which you could tell straight away they were going to be 100% better with no movement at all. I took it out on the road to test during the lunch break to ensure it wouldn't fail again and all was good.

It was very frustrating as I had lost the entire morning of track time, but at least it was finally working. I managed to get plenty of runs in on the afternoon, but it really showed up in the lap times that I need to start working on performance and I need better tyres than the T1R's on it, this wasn't a shock and is easily rectified. But even with these issues, days like this remind me why I went for an R53, its so much fun to rag around, even at this power level and that whine, oh the whine.

With performance in mind, the shopping begins, there will be plenty of posts over the coming weeks as I start to order parts from Oli, as I want to take advantage of the experience of R53 tuning on here. First up a Janspeed manifold which came up cheap on facebook so I snapped it up:

Janspeed manifold by James Baker, on Flickr

Next I want to spec up valves, springs etc for the Cosworth head so I can get it over to Millsy for a little bit of work from him to get every bit of power out of it. I am also looking to get it on the dyno to get some base figures now before I start upgrading bits.

Here are some pictures from Curborough courtesy of Ash F Photos:

Picture courtesy of ashfphotos by James Baker, on Flickr

421 - 440 of 472 Posts