MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 471 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
r53 spec by James Baker, on Flickr

So I have a 2006 facelift R53 Cooper S - Climate control,panoramic sunroof, electric folding mirrors, heated windscreen, Harman Kardon sound system, chilli pack so xenons etc, full leather and parking sensors.

The story:

So after a lot of talking over the last few months, I decided to pull the trigger a buy an R53 to run as a second car alongside the F56 which isn't going anywhere. I like the idea of a second car so when I'm working on one I can drive the other and I wanted something that can be more track/performance focused than my daily driver, which is where the R53 came in. I did consider an R56 but with the engine troubles I had with the Clubby, I am scarred for life and wont be bitten twice.

The R53 was the perfect choice and I was waiting until early summer to buy one; that is until Wednesday night when I saw someone about to break a perfectly decent R53 on the Mini owners group on facebook unless he found a buyer by the weekend for what I could only see as a decent car at a bargain price. Speaking to the seller it had a couple of niggles but nothing I couldn't sort and looking at the price I questioned what else was wrong with it as he seemed to say everything was perfect apart from a throttle position sensor fault, a snapped dip stick and a spot of rust on the boot lid.

So the next next day off I went to Gloucester with cash in hand, to find the car exactly as described and for the life of me I still cant work out why it was priced so cheap. Test drive went well and I parted with my cash there and then.

Spec wise it seems too good to strip it down as a track car, its a facelift car with has climate control, panoramic sunroof, electric folding mirrors, heated windscreen, harmon karden sound system, chilli pack so xenons etc, full leather and parking sensors.

The panoramic sunroof isn't ideal but I can get rid of it worst case but I cant see it causing too many problems as I am not looking to build a record breaker here, just something fun to drive on the road and track.

Time for some photos, the engine bay hadn't looked like it had been touched in years which for me is a good sign, it was full of dust and cobwebs. A few bits of surface rust and a shot upper engine mount to sort, but no big issues under there:

Filthy by James Baker, on Flickr

IMG_8182 by James Baker, on Flickr

Chrome'tastic front end:

Clean by James Baker, on Flickr

Clean by James Baker, on Flickr

Plans
I learnt a lot from my first experience with an R53 so I will be using that as my baseline but going past the point I reached then as I had to consider it being a daily driver back then:

Last public outing by James Baker, on Flickr

Current plans include getting rid of all that chrome, theres just too much with the scoops, boot trim, mirror caps, etc some chrome works well with certain cars but its not in the plan for this car. I am going for a dark and moody look to this car.

Front and rear seats will make way for fixed buckets and GP delete kit. A half cage inside.

Wheels and coilovers are a must but not sure what yet.

Brakes I am thinking an R56 S setup with decent pads and discs as this seems to have proved a decent setup for track.

Engine wise 17% pulley, GP intercooler, larger injectors, a cam of some description and an Orranje airbox. After that I will take a look at a performance head and maybe a front mount, if I go down this route then a smaller pulley to make up for the reduction in boost.

Plenty of bracing with OMP lower, GTT upper and maybe some of the other mid chassis one

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Loved your old car looking forward to seeing this one unfold..

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First mod was purchased and collected yesterday from Davy via 1320. A set of aero skirts wrapped in carbon effect vinyl, but underneath they are hyper blue:

Before:
image.jpg

During:
image.jpg

After:
image.jpg

I need to work out if I can securely connect these without the undertray section they normally come with as this is missing, if not I will pick some up from the dealers. Also need to order the clips and I will then fit these myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Going to be good to see where this goes. I did see that for sale too and I'm glad to see that you've rescued it rather than see it broken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I fitted aero sideskirts earlier in the week and have some clips left over. Ill see what ones would be usefull for you and post to you. Send me your addess via pm

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Still definitely needs OZ's.

FYI the engine problems with your clubby didn't end when you parted ownership with it! Matt's just had the Bogie to replace it after the water pump went for a second time amongst other things :tongue_smilie:

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I decided last night to start pulling the car apart. There are plenty of bits coming off it that I will list for sale including chrome mirror caps, chrome bonnet scoop, chrome boot handle, full leather interior, rear wiper motor, black cooper s spoiler, Cooper S rubber boot liner to name but a few.

Out came all the chrome line interior trim which is to be painted gloss black, I've done all the prep and primer layers, just waiting for that to dry before I paint them. I also decided to do the side repeater trims, door handles and Cooper S petrol cap while I was at it:

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

I also stripped out the rear wiper as I have no need for it and looks alot cleaner and covered up the hole with one of Orranje's wiper deletes :)

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,394 Posts
Might be too late to tell you this but I have a mini one hyper blue flat filler cap
Was one of those mods I never got round to fitting ... :blushing:

You need this Cos race car...:lol:

Also some BMW hyper blue touch up

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I had chance to rub down the primer and then sprayed a number of coats of gloss black across all the parts, slowly getting there, I want to take my time to get it right. Going to leave it 48 hours before I try and wet/dry the gloss and then polish them. After a good buff these are going to be super shiny:

Those are reflections of light not bits in the gloss.

These are the sort of jobs I used to love doing with Rich and it bought back some happy memories of doing these mods on my old R53 back when we had our unit.

1 - 20 of 471 Posts