MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I have new project to play with. A Cat S Mini F56 Cooper S. Super low mileage, 20k on the clock on a 15 plate, 1 owner car from new.

Spec wise it has a few bits:
Smaller Nav
LED headlights
Active cruise control with parking sensors all around
JCW spoiler
Lounge leather seats with matching steering wheel
Black headliner
Panoramic Roof

I wanted something with 4 seats as the children are getting into cars and want to come with me to car events etc.

Check out my new car day video below. I will share more detail and plans once I've had chance to properly look over it, now its been delivered:

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

Sat next to my R56 it looks like a monster truck:

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What’s caused it to be CAT S? Suggests structural that
Not sure yet, very little detail. So I’m getting it up in the air tomorrow to see what the damage is. We can’t see anything so far that isn’t bolt on/off but maybe there’s something underneath. Let’s see tomorrow, note my BRZ was also Cat S and that was a couple of £15 replaceable welded pieces that were damaged, that caused that.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah, it’s welded parts that will make it an S cat.
When they changed the old system away from A/B/C/D it’s not made it any clearer what damages are now.
A new weld on 1/4 panel and the costs could be CAT S. But a load of bolt on panels and such like, only an N.
Always wary of C & D CATs in the past as it could be a C just from being keyed all round and costing more than the cars worth. But a £15k car could end up being a CAT D for £9k of damage.
I know which I’d rather buy on that basis, but a CAT C sounded worse on paper

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing anymore, but it’s likely to cost more to insure and won’t be worth its pre-accident / repair value.
Which is all good if you repair it yourself (as here) and don’t plan on selling etc
I actually found no difference in insuring my BRZ or previous F56 both Cat S, my insurer didn't care, they valued it less if anything ever happened so can't complain, as like you say you get into it cheap.

I am into this currently for £4750, which is super cheap. For the same spec and low mileage not Cat S, you would be looking at £14,000. I could put this one back on the road using second hand parts for less than £2000 if I don't have to paint anything, so a significant saving and a great base to modify from.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I too have insured write offs before with no premium increase.

The last one, I specifically quoted for 2 identical cars one was one wasn't no difference.

Although it may be insurer dependant.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A quick walk around of the car assessing the current spec and what I may have missed:

A big order has also gone into Rybrook Stratford for most of the front end as used prices are the same or more than new which is crazy for most things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts