MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
This morning I spent 30 mins fitting my P3 gauge into a spare vent, this allows the vent to still be used. A much tidier solution than a scangauge/ultragauge stuck on top of the dashboard. I'm also ordering the boost tap which can feed into this gauge as well. Not the easiest of installations as the US vents are different to the UK due to the side they sit on the car so had to be creative. Hopefully I will fit this later in the week as I know the central satnav unit and few other bits need to come out to fit the vent.

P3 gauge by James Baker, on Flickr

More boxes arriving from Orranje, great service as always, plenty of performance parts here, not all about the looks :thumbup:

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
This morning I spent 30 mins fitting my P3 gauge into a spare vent, this allows the vent to still be used. A much tidier solution than a scangauge/ultragauge stuck on top of the dashboard. I'm also ordering the boost tap which can feed into this gauge as well. Not the easiest of installations as the US vents are different to the UK due to the side they sit on the car so had to be creative. Hopefully I will fit this later in the week as I know the central satnav unit and few other bits need to come out to fit the vent.

P3 gauge by James Baker, on Flickr
Did they misspell "integrated" on the box? :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Couple of installs over the weekend. Firstly I decided to fit my P3 gauge, not a bad install at all and provides the basic numbers you need it a tidy package.

Then after that I decided to strip down the front end ready to fit the airtec intercooler which is specific to the JCW. The JCW has a shorted aftermarket intercooler than the S due to the lines for the additional coolant rad in the passenger side fog light position running behind the crash bar and a take off connector sticking out into this space. That said the aftermarket JCW intercoolers are still bigger than stock. I went for the Airtec one from Orranje, great price and service as always.

I'm going to give Airtec some feedback on their instructions, they miss out some steps and also have them in the wrong order but I managed to get the job done, its a lot more involved than either the 1st/2nd gen intercooler installs although its good to know that technically you can install this without cutting any other components etc so easy to put back to stock if that bothers you.

So Friday night I left it in this state, theres a lot to come off the car before you can get the stock cooler out.

Saturday I set about removing the stock intercooler for a side by side comparison:

Installation from this point wasn't too bad and it was then a case of reversing the steps:

Today I took it out for a test drive and the P3 gauge shows the intercooler doing its job as expected. The car is currently looking a little messy right now as I am missing a number of bits which are off at the body shop.

The black bumper bar is being smoothed and freshened up
Front/rear light rings, petrol cap and door handles are all being cc'd, everyone has black handles now they are on offer from Mini so want something a little different
The tailgate handle is being debadged/smoothed and painted in body colour too

Next week the full exhaust system and coilovers should be delivered :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
More parcels arriving this week, this time my exhaust purchased through Orranje. Its a Remus Valvetronic exhaust, its the V1 of their exhaust for the F56, which only lists as being compatible with the Cooper S however there are no differences between the S and JCW therefore it should fit. I decided to go the route of V1 over V2 as its what I had previously and enjoyed the sounds, unsure what changes with V2 could impact the sound as its very different design. Options I have selected include the none resonated centre pipe, 2x 4" genuine carbon fibre exhaust tips to complemented a couple of bits of carbon coming and also the new version of their sound controller. Not only does it have a bluetooth remote, it can also be controlled using my iPhone and programmed to open/close the valve based on revs. Ignore the dusty tips in the pic below:

This will be connected via a scorpion decat down which also arrived a few days ago:

Coilovers should be here later in the week hopefully, opted for BC's with top mounts, they havent let me down previously and are perfect for what I use the car for.

Just need to get it booked in at Millsys to get it all fitted

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Finally all my cc'd bits are back from the bodyshop but didnt get chance to fit them tonight before dropping the car with Millsy.

I've had the rear boot handle debadged/smoothed and painted body colour as well as cc'd headlight rings, petrol cap and door handles. All have turned out perfect. Will throw them all on the car when its back from Millsys.

Ignore the rain spots on them:

I also had the bumper bar repainted with the holes filled, managed to fit this and the new black grill surround:

What a difference its made to the front end, just needs the cc'd headlight rings fitting, here was the before photo lol:

F56 Day 1 by James Baker, on Flickr

Also the BC coilovers arrived, these are being fitted over the weekend by Millsy alongside the decat and exhaust:

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Well the cars back from Millsy's, what a transformation. Theres lots of drama driving the car, something a stock Mini lacks for me. Its pops and bangs like crazy, I can wait to get it mapped. The decat and remus combo is spot on if you like it loud, too much for some, but spot on for me. The carbon/titanium tips sit perfectly, I'm glad I paid the extra for the carbon ones, will work well with the wing I have coming. Valvetronic allows me to make it quieter when needed, which isnt very often :) Videos to follow

Here you can also see the debadged and cc'd boot handle I had done aswell as the cc'd rear light surrounds. Really clears up that rear end:

Also had the BC's fitted, they can go lower but Millsy wanted to set them to a sensible level to allow them time to settle. Just need to work out what I can fit in those arches and get something ordered:

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just unboxed the Eventuri intake, wow what a piece of kit, the devil is in the detail. Carbon is spotless, bonnet scoop is like an OEM part, inverted cone filter enclosed in carbon, engraved logos on the jubilee clips, machined parts. It’s an expensive bit of kit but you can see why. I got mine through Orranje and they can supply a cheaper black plastic version if you aren’t fussed about carbon under the bonnet and that still comes with the carbon scoop. Can’t wait to get this fitted tomorrow.

While I was out today, I did a bit of a before and after video for the Remus/decat combo, its loud, especially on cold start, not for everyone but I love it. Already seen some little blue flames out the back:

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
who will you use to map the car?
I have a couple of avenues I am currently investigating at the moment, just waiting on responses.

Today I fitted the Eventuri intake and bonnet scoop. Super easy to do, it fits really well, fully recommended.

The bonnet scoop is OEM fit, perfect, here you can see the difference in size between the stock scoop and the new functional one:

The carbon looks spot on under the bonnet and it makes a great noise:

I also fitted colour coded headlight rings which look so much better than the black ones:

And I couldnt post about this without a sound clip:

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Also managed to throw the cc'd door handles on yesterday, it such an easier process than on previous gens. Theres no need to remove door cards etc. you go in through a rubber bung with a 4mm allen key and off they come. Final bit of chrome other than the front badge which I havent decided what to do with that yet.

Not a great photo but here they are fitted:

·
Administrator
17,320 Posts
Yes and yes please and thank-you.... liking it all, have you considered making the black front number plate panel body colored like on the grey one?

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yes and yes please and thank-you.... liking it all, have you considered making the black front number plate panel body colored like on the grey one?
Thanks, I'm really happy with the ways its going. I did consider it as I've had that bit filled and painted, however its looks odd in a light colour, I tried a couple of photoshops and decided to stick with black and lose any holes/indents You get away with it on a dark car, not so much on a light car.

Do you still have yours?

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So progress has slowed a little on the two Mini's recently as I am currently doing DIY in my spare time having decided to knock through to create a kitchen diner myself, so busy knocking down walls etc. However I did find time to get my new wing fitted. I decided to go for the Duell Ag style spoiler from Miniworks UK as Duell AG items are just so difficult to get in the UK. I would rather purchase from a UK supplier than take my chance on a cheaper alternative going direct to China/alibaba etc. I went for the lower half painted in red to match the roof and upper half genuine carbon fiber. when it arrived, I removed my JCW wing which was super easy, it isn't stuck on like previous generations, simply 5 screws and 2 bolts to get it off:

I then slipped on the new one to find that although the cut lines were spot on and matched the roof line, there was a huge gap between the spoiler and the roof. The spoiler couldnt at that point push any further onto the car. So I attacked the underside of the wing with a dremel to sand away as much material as I could and to open up some of the areas where it meets the body. I also mades some mods to the plastic trim bolted to the car to give extra clearance. Note I did go through in a couple of patches on the underside of the wing that I reinforced after taking this photo, so don't worry if you can see those and I gave the underside a coat of red paint just for my piece of mind. This gives you an idea of the sort of areas I had to work to get perfect fit if you decide to fit one yourself. I was told this was a one off problem and they hadn't seen this before so hopefully anyone else wont have to do this. It also didnt help that Miniworks UK wanted to get the paint finish perfect for me so they did what they thought would be a good thing in body working and painted the underside as well as the top which is a great service, however that extra layer of filler/paint/primer thickened that underside, once I sanded through that and some high points in the GRP, all was perfect:

After a lot of trial and error I managed to get a near OEM gap which I was really happy with, here is a before and after shot, you can see the silver top of the boot lid in the left hand before pic:

I suppose the lesson learnt here, GRP products may need some work to get them to fit, however much they cost. Once bolted in place, you will never see the sanding/cutting as its all on the underside that bolts to the car and that will never see the light of day.

From the side:

Duell Ag Style Wing by James Baker, on Flickr

The carbon is really good and works well with the other little bits I have on Mini liuke the scoop etc without going overboard:

Love the fact you can see the wing from the front:, its a big wing, not to everyones taste but I love it:

Having such a big wing, clearly shows how much I now need more aggressive wheels than the stock setup and it needs to come down a little, just waiting on a price from Orranje on a set I like before I make a final decision. I also have a rear wiper delete ready to go on the car once the weather is better.

Here is a quick fitting video if anyone is thinking of getting one, super easy two bolts and 5 screws:

Also a quick update on thee DDC dynamic suspension, still no dashboard error messages after disconnecting it when fitting coilovers and leaving it unplugged.

Finally got an error code 0420 from the decat, which was easily reset using my P3 gauge.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So.. forklift was not needed for removing the stock spoiler? :LOL:

That wing does scream "Civic" from some angles... wheels and some stance work is definitely needed now to balance it out.
Agreed it certainly is a big wing, definitely needs some better stance to make it work, I wouldn't fit it if I was sticking with stock wheels. And when I say stance, I dont mean im slamming it into the ground and fitting stupid wide wheels/stretch/major camber.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts