MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as you know I don't waste any time when making decisions. After MITP I caught myself looking at autotrader which meant one thing, the Clubman just wasn't doing it for me. Cant quite put my finger on it, I had great fun transforming that car in just a year from a bashed about, pov spec clubby into what you saw at MITP. I learnt a lot from doing it, it helped promote my youtube channel youtube.com./tweedbean but I just didnt have a connection with it. So having put the feelers out I sold the clubby as a whole within about 24 hours to Simon Radford who's already in the process of building a forged N14 to go into it so keep an eye out for that build as its going to be epic.

Replacement, I've spent a long time thinking about the new Supra, however the UK allocation for 2019 has already sold out and also I now work from home permanently and have another car as the family car. Therefore any car I own right now will not get many miles on it other than for the occasional weekend/evening blast with friends. Therefore getting a new Supra and not driving it seems an utter waste of money right now, maybe in a couple of years if I end up changing jobs to one with a commute etc. Therefore I decided to go back and get an F56, a car I have unfinished business with.

For those that saw my last one, I purchased it from James J, aka R99 on here a few years ago, it was one of the first Cooper S' out at the time and he pretty much did everything visual on the car. When I purchased it I then addressed the performance side working with companies such as Scorpion, Airtec and Manic, where they used my car to develop their parts that are now on sale today. It was a great car but for me it was always in the back of my head that someone else started that project and I was continuing it. I tried changing up the colour scheme etc but I still had that gremlin in my head. Therefore I ended up pulling the trigger and selling it on.

Come to this week I set out a spec list of what I wanted spec wise on my new F56, must haves included HK, XL Nav, LED headlights, antracite headlining, volcanic orange/white silver/moonwalk grey paint. This was a tough spec to find as HK was often missing but was a must for me. I settled yesterday on a Challenge 210 as I worked out these covered that entire spec list.

Well that was until I got a couple of photos of an F56 JCW that was currently with Millsy. This peaked my interest, then I saw the spec sheet, it pretty much has every option you can get on a JCW bar a sun roof and front sensor from what I can see, the list was huge. Then came the price, lower than any other JCW I had seen but this was due to the fact it was a CAT S. It had been fully repaired by the bodyshop/repair company approved by the local Mini/BMW dealership and put back on the road. I know Millsy wouldn't recommend a dud and after a little due diligence I decided to go take a look. So literally within 24 hours of saying goodbye to the clubby I purchased its replacement. I totally understand the concerns about buying a CAT S and the implications on insurance etc but I've ensured at all points the car is 100% as did Millsy. So what did I get:

2016 F56 Factory JCW in White Silver with 10k on the clock

Summary of factory spec:
Adaptive suspension
JCW cup spoke wheels
JCW steering hweel
JCW spoiler
Red roof and mirror caps
Reversing CAmera
Privacy Glass
Height adjustable passenger seat
Front Armrest
Storage package
Heated Recaro seats in alcantara/leather/fabric
Antracite Headliner
Interior Firework dash
Red colour line dash
Excitement pack
Driving mods
Rear parking sensors
Rain sensors
cruise control with brake function
Light package
LED headlights with extended scopes
REar fogs
XL Navigation
DAB
HK Audio
Heads up display
Mini Connected

Obviously being a JCW you get the JCW brakes, bodykit, JCW dial surrounds, factory engine upgrades like lower compression, different turbo etc resulting in 230bhp as standard

None Standard Elements
There are a couple of none standard elements, not mods but just painted parts. When it was being repaired the owner made a couple of colour choices I'm not 100% sure on but they are easily solved so bare with me when I post up photos.
  • Fully colour coded arches - Not 100% sold on these, I'm going to wait until its lowered before I decide to change back to stock textured arches or not, one thing I do know is that it needs the pro lip kit front and rear as it looks a funny shape at the front, too rounded without them
  • Gloss Black Belt Line - This has been done with tape and isnt the best. With time I need to decide if this chrome should actually be on show and not covered up, easily removed anyway
  • Lipstick covered front grill - They decided to paint the chrome grills red for whatever reason, it just doesnt work for me so will be done in either body colour or black, plenty of photoshop images to follow, not going to rush into decisions
  • Black front and rear light surrounds - Not sure if these are a factory item or if they have just been painted, either way, Panda eye look is not for me so these will go body colour
Plans
  • Lots
  • Seriously, I want to drive this car a lot so I can appreciate every little change I make, unlike my last two projects I am starting from a drivable base thats not high mileage or tatty
  • It looks like its on stilts so coilovers will be done ASAP
  • Already looking at exhausts/downpipes, I loved my old Remus/Decat combo
  • It needs so of the JCW pro elements like front lips/corner pieces, same for the rear aswell as a pro diffuser, currently the look is too soft for my liking, it needs more aggression
I'm collecting the car later today, its currently with Millsys being serviced and having new front pads fitted, plenty of pictures to follow but here are a couple of teasers for now:

Roll on new car day by James Baker, on Flickr

Roll on new car day by James Baker, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st dibs in 2021 when you have another itch....:tongue_smilie:

Ps: If you feel they need to completely paint another car can this one be blue ::getcoat::
LOL I wouldnt put it past me.

Nice choice, I only just posted in your Clubman thread!
Ha I will reply over there :)

So pleased with it. I collected it this afternoon and I haven't stopped driving it since. I didn't realise how quick the JCW was in stock form, cant wait to drive it more.

Time for some photos, I'm really impressed with the interior, it such a nice place to be, so many more gadgets:

F56 Day 1 by James Baker, on Flickr

Right now my favourite angle of the car is the rear end:

Currently looks like its on stilts but that will be sorted:

It looks like its wearing lipstick currently not a fan but again its all easily sorted. I will be colour coding a lot of the trim, getting rid of the red grills and black light surrounds:

Its very much needs the pro front and rear lips/corner pieces to add some aggression, the front is very soft and round, it needs more angles. Still not 100% sure on the colour coding but going to live with it for now before I make a decision on it. Easy enough to get hold of a set of black textured arches if I decide to get rid. I certainly wasnt going to pass up on this car just because of the grills and arches.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Same colour the Mrs had, they are a nice place to be, just too big to be called a Mini now on the 1 series floor pan, but it did go ok, not that quick but alright, ours was auto which was also nice, heavy feeling cars though. Your arches look alright but that grill needs to be black I think, and I've never liked the panda thing, cc definitely work better there

image2.jpg

clubman should have been that green then you may have kept it haha, I suspect you'll also have the itch with this,

it might not bother you now but I suspect the cat c (s) will nag later, I'd want all pre and post pictures so I knew more. Do you know what the repairs were to?

Lets see what you do with it ;O)

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same colour the Mrs had, they are a nice place to be, just too big to be called a Mini now on the 1 series floor pan, but it did go ok, not that quick but alright, ours was auto which was also nice, heavy feeling cars though. Your arches look alright but that grill needs to be black I think, and I've never liked the panda thing, cc definitely work better there

View attachment 92621

clubman should have been that green then you may have kept it haha, I suspect you'll also have the itch with this,

it might not bother you now but I suspect the cat c (s) will nag later, I'd want all pre and post pictures so I knew more. Do you know what the repairs were to?

Lets see what you do with it ;O)
Lots of plans with the trim pieces etc need to get it all off the car and sent off to paint.

As for the Cat S, I’ve seen everything, we know the person that owned it and had it repaired so no concerns from me there. He had it repaired for his wife, so didn’t cut any corners and used a well known repair company. After getting it all sorted she turned around and said she wanted a Porsche instead lol all to my benefit. Also had the car checked by Millsy who again knew the history of the car and wouldn’t let me buy a dud.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doing lots of planning in the background mods wise, lots of reading up on what works/doesnt with a JCW. Little intricacies such as mine has adaptive suspension, there are coilover options that work with this but unsure around camber adjustment etc so reading up on this at the moment.

In the meantime, I'm sorting the two bits I dont like about this car. I'm about to order all new arches, textured sideskirt trim etc to get rid of the CC'd arches, I just dont like them. I bought the car knowing I would change these. I'm also ordering a new black grill surround, unsure whether to colour code it or not yet but for now it gets rid of the red one and they are super cheap from Mini.

I also picked up a spare steering wheel so I can send it off for retrimming. With all the gadgets I dont want to go aftermarket wheels so im getting an S wheel sorted with some nice nappa leather and alcantara :) Already boxed up and on its ways to the trimmer.

Wheel ready for trimming by James Baker, on Flickr

I managed to get hold of an alcantara/carbon JCW gear knob from my old blue clubby. This fit the 3rd gen, the stock gaiter is just a little tight so I will get a custom on made up to match.

JCW alcantara fear knob by James Baker, on Flickr

·
Chillin'
695 Posts
While you’re messing around with the steering wheel, do you think you could swap over the multifunction circular buttons left to right? Having had a Mini of some sort for over 13 years, I automatically know that volume is on the left, cruise is on the right - so why they had to do the opposite for the F56?!

·
Chillin'
695 Posts
Ah but I wondered if the buttons could be dismantled and cables rerouted to the other side? Just a thought. Seems they moved lots of things around. Those buttons, fuel filler cap and exhaust on Cooper/One are all on the other side!!

·
Chop it
3,786 Posts
Ah but I wondered if the buttons could be dismantled and cables rerouted to the other side? Just a thought. Seems they moved lots of things around. Those buttons, fuel filler cap and exhaust on Cooper/One are all on the other side!!
The PCB behind is based on LIN coms so is not a dumb button although one side does return the button presses over PWM but I assume the connection on the other is directly connected to the PCB so no option to alter the PWM

you can't just easily rewire due to all the button presses travel back to the BCM on a single LIN wire. You could hack the PCB but the correct way would be reprogram the PCB LIN definition to send different signals to the BCM but that is a whole lot of custom software which without the LIN definition file from mini would be next to impossible

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love that I keep finding little things my old S dint have, such as on the heads up display, when cycling songs you get the lists of songs displayed on the HUD, much better than using the little screen on the speedo. Also with the right settings you get the JCW rev counter with shift light displayed on the HUD which wasn't switched on when I picked up the car, I found it yesterday. The lights inside the external door handles are a nice BMW inspired touch too.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So after a good old think last night, I know the direction I want to take the F56. So today I started stripping off all the arches, sideskirts, front bumper, grills etc for the new parts which should arrive tomorrow.

I'm not going to fit the Pro front splitters I have coming, I've decided a big front lip is needed with a big wing to balance it out. I'm making a list of parts ready to order tomorrow.
Stripping down the F56 was pretty easy, surprised how many clips didnt break but its only just 3 years old so not had time to go brittle yet.

Note that rear diffuser/bumper section is a bitch to remove, I might just take the rear bumper off to get it done as struggled with it on the car and it was the only bit that defeated me today.

Prep for new arches by James Baker, on Flickr

Once I've cleaned up the cc'd arches they will be for sale if anyone is interested, I will get a proper for sale thread this week.

While it was apart I took the opportunity to spray the brace that sits behind the front grills chilli red so it matches the other bits on the car.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts