MiniTorque.com banner

161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Just found this if anyone wants to copy the double din stereo...
https://en.shpock.com/i/W56TIU3vvwhsdIBk/?lft=/[URL][/QUOTE] You would need to make sure it comes with the brackets to fit the double din head unit to it. If it doesnt you may aswell buy new.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Another day working on the Clubby.

Seat rails mounted to the JCW seats, although not fitting them until I have finished working on the interior as I dont want to damage them with everything going in and out of it right now.

I have also resolved the memory issue on the headunit. I have wired up a permanent 12v feed direct from the battery to the head units yellow wire. All working as expecting now.

Dechroming/desilvering the interior is going well. Most bits painted satin black and will the spend this evening sticking them back in place with adhesive:

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

Door install coming along nicely, the speaker mounts I made for the mid speakers arent the prettiest but they will do the job and will never be seen again. Temp mounted the tweeters just to hear the setup and its impressive with no adjustment to settings yet. Will have to cut holes in the top of the door cards to flush mount the tweeters just above the handles, similar to the R53 location when you have hk. Tape on crossovers to hold them in place until I have the arm rests back in place.

This image shows the awful rake currently, need to raise the rear but thats for another day. It also shows the Gtechniq C4 trim product in action, the rear bumper trim and sideskirts havent had it yet, the arches have, you can see the major difference in the plastics with the none treated areas looking grey and faded:

I'm currently customising the speedo ready for the new dial faces which will see me losing the old holes from the stereo controls. Chameleonleds is working on some custom design faces, fully recommended his service. Just in the process of painting the needle holder satin black to match all the interior trim.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cars looking fantastic mate :thumbup: so jealous of your progress, my coilover fund has just been decimated :crying: took the existing plates off to fit my plates and some fanny has scratched the shit out of the tailgate so it's booked in for tailgate and front bumper to get painted as well as the light rings and grill surround colour coded. I was gonna get the colour coding done eventually as I was wanting to get the ride height sorted first but that's all changed now :thumbdown:

Need to get me some of those seats :drool:

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
After speaking to a few different trimmers I finally settled on Inspire Automotive who did a great job on Tony Woodroffe's Coupe. I've sent this lot off to them to get trimmed to match the seats with a mix of alcantara and leather split by red stitching. They are busy which is a good sign so I may not see them back until mid March.

Orranje came up with the goods again, this time an AEM strut brace and Ultragauge.

Fitted the AEN brace, a quick 5 mins job and wraps perfectly around the intake:

I have been playing with some acetate to match the ultraguage screen to the mini dash turning it orange. I used this stuff, only £2.29 delivered, hopefully it holds up when fitted into the car but looks good so far, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/105-ORANGE-Heat-Proof-Coloured-Transparent-Acetate-Gel-Sheet-Crafts-Lighting/162838928480?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=461875847705&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have a set of yellowspeed brakes on the way from Orranje, the same spec as my R53 ones. Ordered them in yellow and should pop behind the wheels and break up all the red and black:

Also I fitted my Ignition Project plasma coils, so easy less than 2 mins to swap them over:

Once the brakes are here, the car is going to Millsys to fit the cage, eyelets for harnesses and investigate a couple of engine warning lights.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
You gonna tint the windows?
Not sure on the tinting yet, will wait an see on that front, not high up on the list of things right now.

In other news, finally finished installing the tweeters in the door cards, so thats all back together minus the door handle arm rests which are being retrimmed and will cover the cross overs. Happy with how they came out. Now need to adjust the sounds using the amp and headunit to get them sounding at their best:

53252996_495921470813057_789296559576580096_n.jpg

As per my other thread I have all the sound deadening material on the way so door cards will be coming straight back off again, but makes me feel better for now seeing it nearly there.

Managed to all the other plastics with the C4 Gtechniq plastic restorer and all looking much better. Especially the rear bumper trim which was very grey, is now black again:

52681128_381775412611396_4763474522059833344_n.jpg

Fixed a boost leak which was causing the engine to cut to half power with the yellow half engine light. Now need to work out how to cancel that light:

3E2B3B68-77E1-4F98-8A07-03DA2E80DAD0.jpg

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Looking great. The difference In the plastic trim is insane!

I may have to replace my peanut butter for some of this C4 trim restorer.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Looking great. The difference In the plastic trim is insane!

I may have to replace my peanut butter for some of this C4 trim restorer.

Agreed, ignore the wonky number plate, here is before and after:

5F5E4BB1-8D1C-4F19-BBD8-DBEEB34D162A.jpg

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Awesome comparison pic, cheers bud.

Does it have to be perfectly clean out of interest?
Sadly I have a small bit of polish over run which no matter what I try won’t come off.

I take it spots like that will still be present even after treatment?

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Awesome comparison pic, cheers bud.

Does it have to be perfectly clean out of interest?
Sadly I have a small bit of polish over run which no matter what I try won’t come off.

I take it spots like that will still be present even after treatment?
I rubbed mine down using isopropyl alcohol to get any previous stuff off first to help it bond, here is a short video on how to apply it, hope you find it useful. I also heard a pencil rubber gets it off, also try tar remover as that stripped most stuff off my rear bumper trim.

https://youtu.be/QJoscqucq1s

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Progress has slowed right down as work has picked up like crazy so not getting much time to finish things right now.

Couple of parcels, firstly brand new JCW carbon gear knob and handbrake handle, just because:

Today my custom gauges arrive from Ian and Chameleon LEDs. He has done a great job really please. I've painted the needle holders black and all the dial surrounds to match, all satin black. I've also made a custom perspex dial face to remove the stock stereo controls from the original dials. Ignore the dust on them:

Going back together, going to polish the rev counter glass before refitting:

Finally fitted, so much cleaner without the horrible blanking plates you get with the double din kit, crisp clean circle.

Custom dials by James Baker, on Flickr

Not the neatest job but started using the silentcoat on the rear of the car. Its never going to be seen so not to worried about the cut lines, sounds much better for it:

Really pleased with how the car is turning out and putting plenty of miles on it this week to give it a proper shake down after being taken apart and put back together. Heading up to Manchester twice in it this week so that should highlight any issues:

161 - 180 of 215 Posts