MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys,

I've had my 04 MCS since feb 12 and browsed Mini2 for help since then but now I need clarification for my proposed set up.

Currently I have installed:

15% Pulley, ALTA CAI, Milltek cat-back and OBX ignition coil plus leads.

My plan VERY soon is to fit:

GRS motorsport version IC, Janspeed manifold + cat, Injectors and a tune.

I'm new to all this ecu stuff so my questions/issues are:

'will 380cc injectors be sufficient or go 400?'
'whats the process for tuning (not dyno) and will a remote tune cause damage to it due to not being specific to the car?' (recommendations for tuning... bearing in mind i'm a novice?)

Some expert advice would be GREATLY appreciated and stop my head from spinning with injector capability and tuning options.

Note: I plan not to performance mod anymore after this for a while so massive injectors with an adj FPR are not a focus

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
14,680 Posts
Welcome to MT!

I'd ditch the Alta intake, it's not good at all. Have a chat with dave.f on here and get him to send you one of his hybrid boxes!

380cc are sufficient and some choose to go to 400. If you have 380s, we've seen some great results with them in the past. If done properly, a remote tune should not cause damage and, more to the point, it IS specific to the car because it's mapped to what you have on it. A custom tune is always the way to go.

While you're doing the injectors and a map, it's worth checking out some cam options too. There are lots out there, each offering different gains; some mid-range, some top end. Decide which you'd enjoy more, then get hunting as you may as well do the injectors/cam/map at once.

·
Bugger
25,445 Posts
What are your local tuning options like in Aus? As if you cant find anyone local you may just have to book some dyno time and have a remote tune from one of the American tuners, Olley on here had his GP remote tuned by Jan from Revolution Mini Works and its been going strong for two years now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks for the advice Sam, best I start looking at a new cam :)

Local tuning in AUS is terrible for new Mini's. Very limited so I've found. Most likely option is to remote tune, though I have never stepped foot near a dyno before, could always take someone who has I guess.

Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated

·
Bugger
25,445 Posts
Awesome thanks for the advice Sam, best I start looking at a new cam :)

Local tuning in AUS is terrible for new Mini's. Very limited so I've found. Most likely option is to remote tune, though I have never stepped foot near a dyno before, could always take someone who has I guess.

Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated
Olleys car runs in 440cc injectors and was remote tuned on a normal dyno here, he just booked the dyno and the operator and Jan emailed him the tune files from the tool based on the data collected from the runs on the dyno. This is the same for all the remote tune kits for the mini.

TBH though I would look at tweaking some of your current mods such as ditching the alta air intake for a proper sealed box. I would also sooner be spending my money on coilovers than a cam or a tune, why have power when you can make no use of it.

·
More power needed!!!
1,165 Posts
Sorry to hijack. Lordf. Is your sig right? "We hare but here for the banter."

·
Bugger
25,445 Posts
When you meet me you will understand ;).

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,957 Posts
G'day guys,

Currently I have installed:

15% Pulley, ALTA CAI, Milltek cat-back and OBX ignition coil plus leads.

My plan VERY soon is to fit:

GRS motorsport version IC, Janspeed manifold + cat, Injectors and a tune.

'whats the process for tuning (not dyno)

Cheers
+ plug change.....

no point in any tune without being able to check before/after,
and i would avoid any generic magic box tunes unless you can check your afr...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome. I do have a dyno place not too far from me so I'll be giving them a call on monday and see if they can help me out.

Cheers guys. cant wait to have the beast up to speed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hijack but I was thinking of going down th same route with a new cam and injectors my question is will my car run by installing JCW injectors or do they need to be programmed into the car ? I will be going on a rolling road soon and having a remap aswell any advice would help thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts