MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the garage to get my wheel alignment sorted but he came back to me saying the camber on the front left was way out (He had a diagram of the angels) which would explain why it was pulling left. But he suggested something, either the strut and possibly the hub could be bent to send it that far out.

So I am looking for a replacement strut, but what is the genuine part/manufacture and the part number if possible?

Its a R50 btw.

Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
My though, ... is the guy who told you this is somewhat clueless, as most guys who press buttons on an alignment rig are.
All Minis have different camber from one side to the other. I guess I should say all first gen Minis do as I have not aligned a second gen one. So that is point #1. Point #2 is that different cambers will not cause the car to pull.
But I digress as I don't know what your camber numbers were. Can you post those?
I hate when brainless mechanics freak people out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the nearside tire is worn on the inside that's why I need it sorted but I can't see any uneven wear on the far side but from the numbers it is out a lot and he suggested that the strut would be bent.

I can do one better and acutally upload the diagram too
Camber0001.jpg

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you could suggest to me what needs sorting it would be a great help, I am a novice I'm afraid.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hmmm, ... it's a bit unclear, but I think I am reading it right. Measurements are in degrees, correct?
OK, if I am correct, then go someplace else because this chart is wacked out. I have no clue what the issue is on toe, as I have never read a diagram like this before, but that is very wacked out. He says that you have negative .5 degree (approximately) on the right side and positive .5 degree (aprox) on the left side as I understand it. Though this if good if you are doing NASCAR ovals, (LOL), positive camber does say that there is a real issue, but I don't trust this guys machine.
If you do have positive camber then jack the car up and rock that wheel back and forth, with force. Might be a very bad wheel bearing, or a completely failed strut. If either there shoukd be some movement, May also be an inner or outer ball joint.
But I have to say that right off the bat I don't trust this information.
Did he bring up bad Toe????
Also, .. he seems to say you don't even have one degree of castor. ?? That is way off also.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
at the minute I have no money for upgrades so I just want to be able to put right what is wrong at the minute. I guess the toe is what is making the car pull to the left?
he said nothing about the toe or the caster.
so i guess i need to take it elsewhere for a second opinion and everything according to the diagram needs correcting?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes there are in degrees and he siad nothing about the toe either, i haven't checked to see if anything is actually bent yet but for the numbers to be that far amiss something isn't right.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, something is very wrong, either with his report or your car.
High miles with no suspension maintenance? Fact is you do say you are having an issue with pulling, so something is amiss. With the info he has given you then that would coincide with it pulling to the left.
Ever hit anything hard?
Any other symptoms?

Bad toe does not always cause pulling, but from what he shows it would seem that your steering wheel must be way off center?

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
Are you local to him mate, if so take it back and ask him to explain properly. Perhaps he would do a recheck or attempt to correct the toe?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Was thinking about this early this morning. The print out sees to tell the story that the front wheel were never turned straight. When turned to the left, as they show, in fact your left front wheel will have more toe out due to built in Ackerman, and the inside wheel, which is the left one in this case, will go to a more positive camber due to built in Castor, and you will loose castor angle on that inside wheel as well. So it really looks like all points to the wheels never being pointed straight. ???? Kinda a weird situation. Hope you keep us posted.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's only done 36k and I've had it 3 weeks and I've not hit anything but the previous owner could of done something.

We had it jacked up the other day and couldn't see anything untoward but it does have advisories on the lower control arm bushes and friends have told me that could be the root cause of all this. Would they have a valid point?

I will be taking it into 1320 in a few weeks for a second opinion and to hopefully solve this problem once and for all.

·
Wineeeeeeeeeeeee
2,286 Posts
That all looks the same as mine was and I had my alignment all done at quickfit and they sorted it all out with me watching which I insisted and explained everything I can't believe that's how he left it. I don't think he knew what he was doing

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know, he said there was no point in doing the wheel alignment because he said something was bent and once fixed would need doing anyway. Would never go back to them again, bloody useless.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's only done 36k and I've had it 3 weeks and I've not hit anything but the previous owner could of done something.

We had it jacked up the other day and couldn't see anything untoward but it does have advisories on the lower control arm bushes and friends have told me that could be the root cause of all this. Would they have a valid point?

I will be taking it into 1320 in a few weeks for a second opinion and to hopefully solve this problem once and for all.
What do you mean by "advisories"?
Really impossible to give advise on a problem like this with the inf. 1320 will certainly take care of you. Let us know.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never heard a bad word said about 1320 and I'm sure they'll sort me out no problems :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts