MiniTorque.com banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
First time I did it on my own, this time with an assistant. And with some 3M re-positionable glue. As long as you’ve got some patience you’ll be ok. Took an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
Does look great, have you done anything with the airbag?

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
What airbag? (removed all airbags)

Facelift dash top isn't it? The airbag comes through the top, not sure if it's a good idea to cover it up. Unless you don't take passengers then it's fine

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I mean I’d be impressed if any airbags did go off as they’ve been removed. I decided this when I thought the only time its basically driven now is to and from track.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ah fair enough. Only thing stopping me from covering my dash top at the moment.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Dash looks really smart! Would love to do mine if it wasn't for the airbag, especially as I need to take it off to hunt for a rattle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Things have been slow moving being back at work for a while, but some progress has been made.

All sound dreading removed, carpets (for the moment) and a small amount of prep ready for my painter. He’s going to have some fun

Got a spare set of engine mounts, some Cabrio braces and a 16mm Mini One front ARB.
Decided they need sprucing up so managed to run them down to the powder coaters while car has been away.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #129

Progress pics, I think next time I should take my dash and loom fully out. May be a tad easier.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
What a busy week this has been, since having the car park I decided to tackle the wiring from the dash backwards further, completely removed the airbag control unit and loom.

Went for Nardo Grey - one of my favourite colours.

Definitely one of the more time consuming jobs on the car.

Tank inspection cover refresh.

Used some plastic cable conduit to tidy the cables up after taping, think this looks really good.

Cut both kick panel trims down and filed, think it looks much neater, ends just before the fixing plates on the cage.

Got the cage back from the powdercoaters. Very pleased, an exact match with the OMP harnesses.

All fitted by midnight on Tuesday ready for Curborough Sprint Course with the Track MINIs Fb page.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #134

What a great day, first ever sprint and was the quickest r53 of the day too.
Good to put some faces to names.

Was very surprised when we realised I was speaking to [mention]CarsOrBikes [/mention]at the end of the day. Great to meet, cracking r53 and one of the best brake setups I’ve seen!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Thanks man. Sprints are real fun, I may look at some more next year

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #137 (Edited)
Hey guys, seems like there’s quite a few projects going on. Just spent the last hour catching up on those.

So haven’t had much motivation over the last couple of months with winter coming and the inevitable lockdown 2.0.

Went to Blyton park on 19/8 (a week after my sprint) had a great time car drove faultlessly up there... and for the first hour or so.. and then not so faultless.

I knew exactly what it was, the bottom pulley horrors were happening again. I brought the car into the pits and had a look and I was right. Unfortunately this was my oversight in fitting a second hand one the first time and completely forgetting after time constraints.

Phoned around all the local parts stores and no pulleys were at a sensible price or available for me to get in time to salvage the rest of the day. Decided to pack up shop and head on the 4hr drive home, to which turned into a 8hr journey home as the car became un-driveable when getting to Leicester.

So back on a recovery truck home. It’s a good thing I’ve got full comprehensive breakdown cover!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
On a lighter note, here’s some shots from the start of the day

She was flying round!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
So the car has been sat on axle stands unloved and touched since that evening until last week. I’ve noticed some coolant droplets on the floor above the gearbox.

Looks like the housing is the culprit.

That’ll be why!

Bit of elbow grease and fine scotch brite.

Out with the old housing and stat and in with the new - around £20 for the housing from BMW, more than reasonable.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Can’t think of a better way to get back into the spirit other than ordering some new goodies.

I’ve wanted one of these for a while, and upon removal of my eBay intercooler I found that it was fouling underneath which looks like it was leaking.

GRS Motorsport intercooler in Black. The quality of the intercooler is brilliant and carbon fibre diverters are a real nice touch.

I messaged Graham directly and he took payment over the phone, he was a pleasure to deal with and was nice to support a local business.

Also couldn’t miss some of these from Karl. Aero bumper cooling ducts, both of these parts can be added to the ‘to fit pile’.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts