MiniTorque.com banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
It’s that time again, plenty more done as been off work for a month today. So glad I’ve got this to keep me busy.. most of the time.

OMP 6-point harnesses arrived, knew they weren’t going to be straight forward to fit but wanted to be strapped in like a baby.

Also treated myself to an AEM AFR Failsafe gauge, great bit of kit.

In hindsight I should’ve ordered the OMP seat frames but had been recommended these, by people who didn’t have 6 points. So multiple measurements and mock ups I could modify the bases I had to allow access to the crotch points.

Found suitable locations for the shoulder belt harness eyes to be tapped into, while I don’t have a roll cage (at the moment).

I had done this a while ago as when the R56 exhaust conversion was done this B+ cable ran dangerously close to where the box sit.
Traced the routing back past the fuel tank and opened up one of the rear seat base holes. Found a nice grommet to fit in and secured correctly underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

Edges filed and rounded to finish ready to go in.

Now for the spreader plates, as I would like to keep my carpet I cut a rectangle out and also removed the foam piece so I had more than enough access. Of course sealed all external cuts with some spray paint to prevent corrosion.

One of the spreaders for each crotch point had to be trimmed slightly due to the pressed formation in the floor, this was a bit annoying but got there in the end. After doing some research you can order slimmer spreader plates which would avoid this.

All plates sealed with tiger seal or equivalent, excuse the messy beading, was re/using an old tube - un useable nozzle

Only two more spreader plates to fit for the lap points, one on each side of the exhaust tunnel, accessibility was actually real easy.
Cut the carpet with a hole saw and tidied up, was quite happy with this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

A simple job which was always on the list which I never actually got round to doing, so now was the perfect time.
It looks like someone’s been living in there for a while.

As seen plenty of times, out with the old and in with the new. One of those satisfying replacements. Sucked out all the dirty fuel in the housing too.

Honeycomb vent pods off eBay, was well impressed with these, they look really good and are cheap.

AFR all plumbed in and located.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Bosch 550cc injectors and pigtail connectors fitted, bought these off Tom at 1320 a few months ago so had them to hand and ready.

One of the front ARB links decided to sh*t itself so replaced the pair with these Meyle HD links, definitely heavy duty in comparison with the oem links.

As tried & tested on the challenge cars, no hesitation in modifying the strut tops as accessibility to adjust the top mounts was poor. Plus the car would need to go for a geo at some point and I needed to be able to adjust without dropping the strut.

Marked, cut and filed again. The whole top could do with a lick of paint so masked and keyed.

Primer on, painting begins. At this point I was waiting for delivery of black paint and lacquer so as other bits turned up I had to leave this and re-visit when paints arrived.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

Time to fit the Catcam 469, Funnily enough I had originally ordered a Newman PH 3/4 due to being a lot cheaper and of a similarish spec to the 469. But after lots of reading and opinions I ended up ordering a 469 from 1320 while the Newman was in transit.

So

So as they both turned up I thought I would compare the two. Newman being on the right in these pictures.

The pictures below showing the cam removed (on the right) and the catcam.

Some wear, not the worst I’ve seen for an 81k car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

Waiting for more deliveries at this point to fulfil my time I decided to strip some unecessaey wiring from the rear and tailgate - washed/wipe wiring and tubing, rear 12v socket, battery fused line, and some interior lighting.

And while I’m at it I’ll remove the sound deadening. Several hours taken up here!

And the rear seat fixing brackets. My plans to get the inside sprayed properly has risen up the list now .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

The final delivery I’ve been waiting for, with the extra power and being a track car I needed to keep IAT down and I wasn’t planning on getting a front mount to do so. Always wanted a car with methanol so here it is.

Removed passenger intercooler horn drilled and tapped, also had to order an imperial tap and die set for this.

Stolen from [mention]Astroboy [/mention]this just fit so well in here, although this is the V2 version of the kit so I have to accommodate for the vac line.

Unable to get hold of the 3mm 1/8 NPT adaptors in a reasonable time I decided to improvise and modify some small brake bleeding nipples I had.

As for the boost readings for both my AFR Failsafe gauge (does boost as well) and the Meth kid I didn’t like the idea of tapping into the fuel Reg line so tapped two separate outputs for each of these.

The finished product, All ready to be re-fitted.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

Kit installed and tested, not finalised, need to make some brackets for the top part of the tank which will be straight forward.
Riv-nutted the bottom part of the tank and pump for easy removal/ installation.

B+ cable also needs to be shortened and mounted properly but you get the idea.

Strut tops finished, OMP brace on. Probably going to extend the bolts from the STA top mount eventually.

Bigger IC on and an engine bay clean, she’s mobile.

A close up of the meth nozzle install. Happy with how this has turned out.

Spent a good couple of hours cleaning that day so have a few outside shots.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Cheers guys, more to post just takes a while to update

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Some nice plans on the boil, and some good advice there too!

Defiantly recommend Bedford as a good start for a first track day. So much space to explore both the cars and your own ability. They are a bit harsh on the noise limit though, one drive by trip and your off for the day!. I have a Janspeed manifold, resonated miltek system with cat in place and didn't have any issues. There was a few of them on the day that didn't get out at all or got pulled off the track (mostly the m3's).
Look who it is. Over a year later and still discussing Bedford

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Spending a bit of time on the interior as it’s been neglected.

Rubbed down the original silver, applied primer, wet sanded with 1200, base coated in gloss black, 1K lacquered and then flattened with 3000. Its all in the prep as they say.

Polish using some 3M cutting compound and then buff to a shine and results below are decent enough for me.

Re-located the TPS Reset button to the other side after some careful filing, think this is where it should be from factory.

Had ordered a Dremel for this part of the install but it still hasn’t turned up.

In end spent a tedious time hand and needle filling everything to fit snugg. Including round filing a recess for the vacuum input to the controller

Also purchased a LED rocker switch to arm the meth system as it doesn’t need to be on all the time, found one that doesn’t look to out of place too.

Fitted the passenger seat and harness now I’d done faffing with the centre console.

So current views from the boot...

Got some stuff incoming for the dash top, but also some plans for oil cooling next week. Watch this space.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
ye boi. I'm in a similar state of play. Took the carpet out last week, the whole stereo is stripped, considering whether to remove parts of loom and start on the sound deadening. Hmm.

You've done a neat job of it so far. Liking the stealth look.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
ye boi. I'm in a similar state of play. Took the carpet out last week, the whole stereo is stripped, considering whether to remove parts of loom and start on the sound deadening. Hmm.

You've done a neat job of it so far. Liking the stealth look.
Cheers man. Wasn’t planning on removing the sound deadening initially as knew it was a time consuming job for not a huge amount of reward but it got to that stage quickly
Heat gun and a scraper it was actually pretty easy, bit messy but not too bad.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I was considering doing the dry ice method :unsure: yeah there's little gain but if you're looking to paint the interior to smarten it up then it's worth doing which is why I'm considering it. But then I know how much elbow grease it requires and I am not known for my patience...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Have heard dry ice is good, but I couldn’t be arsed to wait weeks in current situ for a delivery of it so gave the heat gun a go, once you start you’ve gotta finish!

·
Bugger
25,295 Posts
I was considering doing the dry ice method :unsure: yeah there's little gain but if you're looking to paint the interior to smarten it up then it's worth doing which is why I'm considering it. But then I know how much elbow grease it requires and I am not known for my patience...
Its a lot of hassle and time, I did mine with a mapp torch and a clean up wheel on the angle grinder, took about two hours max. Cleaned, wiped and then I painted it.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,568 Posts
Its a lot of hassle and time, I did mine with a mapp torch and a clean up wheel on the angle grinder, took about two hours max. Cleaned, wiped and then I painted it. And then parked it up to grow more Moss
Efa...

61 - 80 of 96 Posts