MiniTorque.com banner

241 - 249 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Cheers

Wheel specs are good too, got enough clearance without spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·

The front bumper was in poor poor condition and was really bothering me! Off for paint she goes.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts

Metal dipstick arrived from cbminipartsnmods, quick delivery and good quality at a more than reasonable £11.50. No worry of the OEM snapping now.

maybe check the length of that stick, you might find it longer and a higher reading than 'actual'....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
maybe check the length of that stick, you might find it longer and a higher reading than 'actual'....
Both the exact same length. That’s weird I’m guessing you have had experience with this?

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
yes, a few mm longer on a cable style like the one pictured

·
Registered
9 Posts
What you see below has come from an E46 M3 from someone who was breaking. Being part of the m3cutters forum was handy and made it easy to find one of these. But it’s only the master cylinder I am after.

With the R56 S front brake setup I have never liked the poor feel you get for the first half of the pedal. A few people have done this conversion and said it’s amazing so thought while I’ve got time on my hands I’ll give it a go.

With the original master cylinder removed these two pictures show you the visual differences, mini being the bottom and M3 above. The M3 cylinder is slightly longer probably because of the larger piston stroke.

So to do this conversion you will have to do swap the mini fluid reservoir onto the M3 MC. This involves running a M5 x 0.8 tap through the other side and swapping over the rubber seals that it seats on.

And then a countersink to suit the securing reservoir bolt.

There are two DSC pressure sensors on the M3 master cylinder now the first one will have to be removed and either blanked off with a M12 x 1.0 bolt which I could not get quickly, so I decided to modify the pressure sensor. I cut it off and got it filled with weld.

And then ground a slit in it so it could be secured tight with a few wraps PTFE that I was happy it wouldn’t fail. But this shall be checked and tested regularly.

This is where the spacer will sit, the picture above was with a 6mm hex bolt inside it, this is not what was used so disregard that being inside.

And then finally making a spacer for the end of the master cylinder where this goes inside the brake servo. This is too take up the difference in length from where the MC meets the servo if bolted up and the distance from when the servo engages.
The M3 MC is about 2-3mm shorter. So if a spacer is not used there will be some slack in the pedal before the brakes come on. This is trial and error and actually took a good few hours to get right.

If the spacer is too long the brakes will bind. So be patient and take your time! I used an M6 countersink bolt and then a 9mm countersink to match the servo.

There it is, fitted, and very snugg against that cowl panel. The brake pipes will require bending slightly to but nothing major. Just needs to be bled properly now, can’t wait to try this out.
Himat

I have been looking as hard as I can at your pictures of the E46 M3 master brake cylinder, is it a 22 - 25 or a 20 - 25 for the H - V measurements? Been in touch with BMW spares companies and the 22 - 25 are like rocking horse poo second hand or £500 from Latvia for a new genuine. If it is the 20 - 25 (or the 22 - 25), how are you finding them?

Looking to do the same upgrade, but not at £500 and not sure the 20 - 25 will do the job.

Cheers

241 - 249 of 249 Posts