MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's just so ugly..and huge. They can't really keep called it a Mini can they??

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quite possibly. The original icon had been redesigned and was as close the original as legisltion would allow.
This new thing traces it's heritage to the R50 series, which, like the original, was a clean sheet of paper design, not an evolution.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
500 Posts
For me, this is just a very expensive front wheel drive M135i in Mini clothes. I expect it's pretty awesome for a modern fast hatch compared to a lot of its contemporaries but it's about as far from a Mini IMHO as a Mini gets.

In fairness though BMW took the Mini from being a car for ordinary folks and turned it into a premium brand.....in respects it's not a bad thing but I expect Alec Issigonis wouldn't be that impressed. I remember back around 2004/5 being interested in getting a nice spec R50 Cooper new and had kittens at the cost when I got it as I wanted it in the configurator.....needless to say I didnt buy one 😂

·
Registered
500 Posts
.......give me a mint R53 GP any day of the week 👍👍

·
Bugger
25,329 Posts
For me, this is just a very expensive front wheel drive M135i in Mini clothes. I expect it's pretty awesome for a modern fast hatch compared to a lot of its contemporaries but it's about as far from a Mini IMHO as a Mini gets.

In fairness though BMW took the Mini from being a car for ordinary folks and turned it into a premium brand.....in respects it's not a bad thing but I expect Alec Issigonis wouldn't be that impressed. I remember back around 2004/5 being interested in getting a nice spec R50 Cooper new and had kittens at the cost when I got it as I wanted it in the configurator.....needless to say I didnt buy one 😂
I've lost interesting in anything mini did after the R53, I've had my R50 from new 17 years ago. I've also had two R53s along side it at various points.

I remember when I got my R50 in 2003, they were felt / looked so different to anything else. Similar era stuff my chums had (polos / golfs / fiestas etc) all looked and felt last century next to the mini. I've had hatches that are better but not as good if that makes sense. I had a 1999 Alfa 145 Cloverleaf, the chassis set up and the engine were a lot better than the mini, yet the mini I prefered, esp as the Alfa felt old (It was after all a design from the mid 90's).

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've lost interesting in anything mini did after the R53, I've had my R50 from new 17 years ago. I've also had two R53s along side it at various points.

I remember when I got my R50 in 2003, they were felt / looked so different to anything else. Similar era stuff my chums had (polos / golfs / fiestas etc) all looked and felt last century next to the mini. I've had hatches that are better but not as good if that makes sense. I had a 1999 Alfa 145 Cloverleaf, the chassis set up and the engine were a lot better than the mini, yet the mini I prefered, esp as the Alfa felt old (It was after all a design from the mid 90's).
Couldn't agree more. I think Rover and BMW really hit the sweet spot with the R50 and R53 Minis......I know at the time purists probably weren't that impressed about BMW's involvement but it probably did lead to it being a better car than it would have been without them.

Just a shame since they've pushed and pushed platform and drivechain sharing to the point all the new ones are basically 1 and 2 series BMs made to look like Minis.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Alfa's as my Dad was crazy about them in my earlier years....having had a Sud Ti, 2 X 33 1.5 Green Cloverleafs and finally a 1.7 Green Cloverleaf between the time I was born and the age of 13. I always liked the breadvan 145's...their Twin Spark 4 cyl engines were really rather excellent. I borrowed a manager's 156 1.8 TS Lusso a few times in an old job and my mate briefly ran a 147 1.6 TS Lusso as a courtesy car......very revvy and sounded great for a 4 banger.....funny though I've never actually owned one. I wouldn't mind a Stelvio TBH.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
In fairness though BMW took the Mini from being a car for ordinary folks and turned it into a premium brand.....in respects it's not a bad thing but I expect Alec Issigonis wouldn't be that impressed.
I agree, but I definitely like the BMW version better than what the Rover ppl suggested...

·
Registered
212 Posts
i love all the haters on here about the GP3. Not just saying this because i have one but i f**king love it. Ive owned all of the GPs and this shits all over the GP1 and GP2 for performance and handling. Yes its not the better looking of the 3 il give you that lol i dont regret buying one at all. :)

so bring on all the negative comments lol

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
314 Posts
My only negative comment is I can’t afford one!

Saying that if I had that sort of money I’d probably buy myself a few year old VW Pheaton for everyday use a GP2 for weekend fun

Actually I’d just pay the mortgage off and keep the R53

I’d love to have a drive of one though if only for curiosity to see how it feels with an auto box

·
Registered
500 Posts
No hate from my side, by today's standards I expect it's immense to drive and properly fast....just personally I'm not sold on the looks, think it's a shame there's no manual option and nearly 40 grand for a Mini hatch, even one with 306bhp......it's a bit strong. I get it's limited run and probably going to be a good bet as an investment longer term (at the moment used ones are fetching more than list!) but as a daily driver can't help but feel a Clubman JCW makes a lot more sense.......for something to stick in the garage and use on good days then maybe.

I love my R53....I wouldn't really call myself a fan boy as they definitely have their flaws and mine pisses me off regularly....they aren't overly reliable, aren't really that wonderfully made (though have probably stood the test of time better than most of its peers), woefully underbraked for its performance, rides like shit and is ridiculously thirsty on anything other than a sensible long run. But......it offers a super fun, analogue driving experience which is hard to come by in any fast hatch nowadays. It's not all about headline power TBH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts