MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time has come for a car to go, decision is which one.

The R53 has just had a new clutch fitted, R50 a new subframe, bushes and thicker rear anti roll bar and bushes. Several £100’s on each as a result, so deciding whether it’s better to keep the R53, higher mileage and more bhp and smiles for the noise. Exhaust is annoying. Xenon headlights though, New MOT on it

R50 handles great now, Milltek exhaust sounds spot on. Leather seats. 6 months MOT

Longer term, is one better to keep over the other ?
Any advice or pointers, gratefully received

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,221 Posts
I feel your pain, yet again I can’t decide whether to get rid of the R53 as it’s just not used but needs no work other than the janspeed putting bakcnin and I’m loving the R56 looks and fuel economy but I know it’s going to need a new clutch and flywheel soon!

the way things are going fuel wise I’d say you should keep the R50 for the economy but my heart says the R53 is much more fun if you can stomach the cost of filling it!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool thank you
Looking on the Trader site, looks like R50 could fetch £1500-1800 based on what’s for sale

would take £1500 to get rid I guess

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Put it up for £2000 and see what offers you get.

The price for R53's varies. Not always based on quality either.

A lot of sellers use the BS line of "investment" and "prices going up".

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would keep the R53 and, if you do your own work and have the time, swap the good stuff from the R50 onto the R53 like the sway bar, maybe the front subframe, plus anything else that would upgrade the R53. Not positive if the subframe would have any fitment issues between the two, but I’m sure someone on the forum would know the answer. Also, not sure if the UK cars have a passenger occupancy sensor, but but you might be able to swap the seats too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Keep the R53 and if your not in to much of a hurry ask for a big price on the R50, on the basis you can always come down. You only need one buyer.
It really is a head and heart thing though.
Good luck, mate.
Tommo.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts