MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please could someone tell me if ista can check the timing on my r56 please ?
Following a rebuild..
Thanks all

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
You need to remove the rocker cover and check the physical timing with an engine locking kit. You should be able to reset the VANOS using the code reader though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think i have reset the vanos. Ista was busying away doing it for me and the adaptations have been reset
But, it's a bit lumpy following a rebuild. Something isn't right. The cam locks were perfectly in line when we finished.. It all looked ok but it's a bit lumpy. Can't figure out why.
Ista isn't throwing any faults, and I'm guessing it would tell me if the plugs were dead or the coil things were failing .
Does ista do any live data or monitoring ??

Also, is there supposed to be a lot of pressure in the cylinder head? When you unscrew the oil cap?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Did you turn the engine over by hand a few times and refit the locking kit? There shouldn't be a lot of pressure in the rocker cover when you remove the oil cap. Assuming your timing is ok and you haven't lost compression then there may be a breather issue. These engines are really sensitive to breather pressures. If you unscrew the oil cap when it's running it will nearly stall normally.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, we turned it over by hand loads but didn't put the cam locks on after .
Ista doesn't appear to show any misfire
It's just really rough idle. But if you gradually build up the revs it's running really nice and smooth.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine is now running nearly perfect now😁 wasn't expecting one of those to be dead.
However there is still a bit of a chug on idle . Maybe timing?
If I needed to check , as long as the clamps fit back on square on the cams , it can't be timing can it ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if set by the clamps and the lock pin it cant be out then.
Must be something else making it slightly chuggy on idle
In fact it can't be timing because this morning it sat there idling lovely for 5 minutes then at some point it starts becoming slightly rough.
Something intermittent??

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
It's still possible that it's a timing issue. You're supposed to refit the locking kit again after turning the engine over by hand a couple of times to make sure there's no slack in the chain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts