MiniTorque.com banner
25K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  brownz 
#1 ·
2002 R53 Cooper-S 84000 miles.

About 1000 miles ago I was driving my car and I got the dreaded chain tensioner death rattle, the tensioner was fairly new so could not understand why? But anyway i removed it and found out that it had somehow returned to its compressed state:eek:hmy:
Thinking it had failed, i went and bought a new one and fitted it and it was fine, now another 1000 miles later and after a good thrash tonight I get exactly the same death rattle sound again.
The engine is too hot to remove it tonight but I just know that when i remove it tomorrow im going to find another compressed tensioner.

Why is this happening to my car, the oil is pristine and the sump has been removed and thoroughly cleaned so it cant be contamination.

anybody else had this, is there a bad batch of tensioners floating about??

#3 ·
I get it Dave.

My mate turned the motor backwards to free it off - Not something you want to always be doing .

This was a reason for me thinking of an accusump merely to push the damned thing out but that is way way too much overkill I think

#4 ·
Well Ive just removed it and sure enough its seized in the halfway out position, so another new one has just gone in, my oil is like fucking black tar and yet its only been in there a few thousand miles.

I REALLY need to do an extensive engine flush, what is best stuff to put in the engine to flush it all out, I need a really strong degreaser in there I reckon as it may be contamination in the oil ways left over from my overheat and dry sump that occurred a few years back thats blocking the tensioner and causing it to stick.

Im tempted to fill the engine with engine degreaser but i know thats not a good idea lol

#7 ·
50/50 derv and el cheapo oil , run OFF load at idle for 10mins and drain ,new filter, refil el cheapo oil and ATF( 25% atf) again 10 mins OFF load at idle - drain ,new filter and refill with your choice of oil .
Take some pics of what comes out you will be suprised !!!
total cost cheapo oil £10 , derv £6 ,ATF £4 , filters £10 + your oil choice
Result = clean engine internals

#15 ·
You can vary mixtures depending on how shitty the oil is , derv/oil will clean more out , add ATF and it becomes a longer term thing , so you could simply add ATF just before an oil change for example to clean away carbon and free tappets from any clogging
There is no official mixture but these are what I have used before , if you wish to be more cautious then use less derv say 15% but you may need to do it more times once you see what comes out
I have never had any issues even when using on turbo engined cars whre the oil is passed through the turbo bearings , always the car runs smoother and the next oil change the oil is very clear

#17 ·
Is this tensioner accessable from the top or bottom :confused1:

Have you a pic showing its position :confused1:

Think mine's gone again too, sounded like a dammed tractor yesterday :cursing:

If it's just a case of undoing the old one and refitting I'll do it myself otherwise it's gonna go to garage and more ££££ :sad:

#24 ·
N47 diesel engine? The chain is at the back of the engine against the gearbox for some stupid reason!

G
#26 ·
i've just had two fail with 1 mile on the first and about 200 miles on the second. both returned to fully compressed state. FYI, i can removing mine in about 2 minutes without taking the wheel off. snap-on stubby 19mm 3/8 socket and a knuckle joint.

new clean oil. 75k miles..... i would like to fit an oil pressure gauge....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.