MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm doing a rebuild so already spending a ton as my crank seized,
So this hobo would like to save some dough.
I see these Ebay Timing chain kits on Ebay in the States (not sure of prices in Europe) for like $36, 60, and $160 for the Febi one.
I know some of y'all have used the febi and it's reliable..... BUT has anyone tried one of the really cheap ones??

They even come with both sprockets and tensioner for like $40-50....thats crazy.

The MOCA one is made here in the states from a factory doing this for 30 years and 100% rating.... could it be that bad?

I know I know, febi is reasonable price and why go cheap in your engine??

But has anyone tried the cheap ones? Is there that big a difference?
How long have you had it in? Etc.

.... Comments from the hobos out there looking for a cheap reliable replacement please

Appreciate

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
So you’re spending a ton on a rebuild and seriously considering a 36 dollar timing chain kit?
Personally i’d Be buying a tried and tested good quality one.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you’re spending a ton on a rebuild and seriously considering a 36 dollar timing chain kit?
Personally i’d Be buying a tried and tested good quality one.
Well a ton is relative I guess. I'm getting a VERY good deal on the labor because I know they guy he is doing me a favor, it's mostly the parts.
I got that 5 kid Budget so I'm trying to save where I can but I do t want to take a HUGE risk....

So I was wondering if anyone out there has tried a cheap ebay one? Compared them?

·
That's you, that is.
243 Posts
I guess just think about how much it’ll cost to replace the timing gear if it fails early, and how much other damage it could do if it does fail?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^I agree

BUT

Surly somone out there has tried one of the cheap ones with fine, bad, mixed results??

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
people will have, some unknowingly, as non franchise garages of all types commonly buy the cheapest parts where they can make the greatest margin. Those garages may be prepared to absorb warranty issues or something but the majority of parts will survive that year regardless. The answer to your question for the cost involved is to buy one or several, compare the quality if any differences can be determined once in your hand, you might well find two out of four use the same chain but sprocket or rail quality differs, ebay what you don't like, or just install one. Compare the parts and chain length against the outgoing one which should be the same length or longer if stretched at all, if it's shorter you know something ain't right haha. Where you might run into a problem is dragging round a performance cam or valvetrain because some chains won't perhaps be up to it long term, it's why duplex chains on some performance applications are utilised, similarly for those that use the chain to anchor the cam when tightening or releasing the cam bolt, they're asking for problems. Just post up what you find ;O) Like with some aftermarket rockers perhaps where a couple have reportedly failed at high rpm, some of these parts may not be quite so good as OEM genuine parts. Vital parts I would be cautious of, but on the other hand motorcycle chains have good quality aftermarket chains available all cheaper than the originals usually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts