MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum. I have a r53 2003 mini cooper s. Took off valve cover to change the gasket and thought i would check the timing chain while i have it open. On the top sprocket the chain is way off and not matching where it is meant to be. If i open and replace the chain and sprockets with the guide would I be ok or am I supposed to be looking to do anything else? Any further potential damage i should look out for?

I think its best to tell everyone I'm a novice and a new diy hobbyist and not the best of mechanics.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
so how have you determined anything is out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I saw the single arrow on the top of the sprocket and I think it should be lined up with a dark piece of the chain. However thats not the case for me.

Plus there was a knocking noise from the engine so was going to change the tensioner.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Turn it over by hand and after a few rotations itll likely line up.
If not, and it runs, it will be equally far off on the crank so its fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so since i havent pulled off the crank pulley if i just rotate that it should hopefully all line up? Sorry if thats a silly question but i have little idea what im doing.

thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Take the spark plugs out to make life a bit easier.
If its running fine put the cover back on and leave as is.
If it has a chain rattle change the tensioner and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
first question is does the car run, or appear to run normally? If so, don't worry too much, if you wish to check the timing anyway for any reason really just rotate the engine by hand until the single link lines up with the arrow, it will eventually. Usually. Sometimes this can be many turns of the motor, basically there is a long and short side between the chain marks, as in they're not directly opposite. Come back once checked?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

Just put the car back together, before starting the car up I tried to turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise and was stuck and wasnt turning.

I think i might have skipped time myself as i had turned the crankshaft pulley in first gear to line up the top sprocket. Heard a click which cant be good.

When i now take it apart I would need to replace the bottom crankshaft sprocket ? How would i know what is causing the crankshaft to not move?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
The cam sprockets can only go on one way, realign your timing marks and you be ok.
Use a spanner on the cam if you need to rotate it slightly to line your marks up.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
turning it over in gear wouldn't upset the timing on these

it won't move most likely due to valve contact so you must have it wrong somehow

where are you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im in wakefield in UK.

Well need to figure out what i did wrong. What do you suggest I do? Take off the timing cover and check or is there something else I should be doing?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Timing cover off, rocker cover off, plugs out and a screwdriver in the plug hole. Find which piston is at TDC and assess whether the cam is pressing the valve and spring down. This will give you an idea whether the timing is off.

If youve only tried turning it over by hand I think you will get away with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments. Update is the car is now timed and the timing was off. The knocking noise is still there which means theres some kind of engine damage unfortunately before I got it.
Is it worth trying to open an investigate?

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
put a video up of the noise,

how many teeth out was it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ill put a video up soon. It was out by 5 teeth which I believe is not good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys, it does switch on but havent driven it away yet. I have uploaded a video of how the engine sound on the link below.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
that's certainly got issues, sounds similar to a big end noise but not convinced actually, if so it's like it's more than one? Possible but unusual if it is. It was doing this when you got it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I couldn't hear this when I got this as there was a massive exhaust leak and muffled every other noise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts