MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

We always try to have cars with character. We belong to several car clubs groups. My wife currently has a R56 Cooper S (red with white roof). She loves it, we wanted to improve it and join the mini scene but it is knackered. We think the previous owner ran it with low oil, so we are going to cut our losses on it.

Anyway, she is very interested in a 2014-2015 JCW. This is definitely a car with character, something we might use to get into the Mini scene with :). She isn't fond of all black interiors, but theres one on the market in her price range that includes black and red interior. However, this car is decatted and mapped. This has really put her off. We've had issues with garages in the past, I've had a local garage refuse to do a pro-service on my 60s car because it wouldn't be in the workshop computer and they wouldn't know how to turn the service light off... Living quite rural, we're limited on our garage choice. We don't really have the time or space to swap pipes to pass an MOT. So, what effect will this have?

Will a decatted and mapped car have issues with your average MOT garage?
Do you have issues with insurance (increased costs)?
Are there insurers more open to these cars and mods (A-Plan springs to mind, they insure my modded 60s car)?
Would it be possible to get the car and have a cat fitted (how much would this cost)?
Would the car need to be mapped if a new cat is fitted (how much would this cost)?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Hi all

We always try to have cars with character. We belong to several car clubs groups. My wife currently has a R56 Cooper S (red with white roof). She loves it, we wanted to improve it and join the mini scene but it is knackered. We think the previous owner ran it with low oil, so we are going to cut our losses on it.

Anyway, she is very interested in a 2014-2015 JCW. This is definitely a car with character, something we might use to get into the Mini scene with :). She isn't fond of all black interiors, but theres one on the market in her price range that includes black and red interior. However, this car is decatted and mapped. This has really put her off. We've had issues with garages in the past, I've had a local garage refuse to do a pro-service on my 60s car because it wouldn't be in the workshop computer and they wouldn't know how to turn the service light off... Living quite rural, we're limited on our garage choice. We don't really have the time or space to swap pipes to pass an MOT. So, what effect will this have?

Will a decatted and mapped car have issues with your average MOT garage?
Do you have issues with insurance (increased costs)?
Are there insurers more open to these cars and mods (A-Plan springs to mind, they insure my modded 60s car)?
Would it be possible to get the car and have a cat fitted (how much would this cost)?
Would the car need to be mapped if a new cat is fitted (how much would this cost)?

Thanks in advance
You won't find an insurer willing to insure a decat as it is an illegal modification, and unless you know a "friendly" MOT station, it will fail the MOT on emissions too. You'd have to not declare it to get insurance. As for legal modifications like the remap, you'll have no issue. I've been with Greenlight insurance for years, and have numerous modifications declared on my MINI with them, including a remap, and their quotes are usually cheaper than mainstream insurers quote for a standard car! A-plan weren't good when I tried to quote with them, although others seem to rate them. I'd avoid Adrian Flux too as they are a nightmare in my experience.

Normally removing the cat would throw an EML, so the car may have been mapped for that, and may need reversing if you re-installed a cat. I'd personally look for another car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won't find an insurer willing to insure a decat as it is an illegal modification, and unless you know a "friendly" MOT station, it will fail the MOT on emissions too. You'd have to not declare it to get insurance. As for legal modifications like the remap, you'll have no issue. I've been with Greenlight insurance for years, and have numerous modifications declared on my MINI with them, including a remap, and their quotes are usually cheaper than mainstream insurers quote for a standard car! A-plan weren't good when I tried to quote with them, although others seem to rate them. I'd avoid Adrian Flux too as they are a nightmare in my experience.

Normally removing the cat would throw an EML, so the car may have been mapped for that, and may need reversing if you re-installed a cat. I'd personally look for another car.
Pretty much what I thought, don't touch with a barge pole unless I have already lined up a recat pretty much as soon as I pick it up. I suspect this isn't a common "upgrade" so asking for a rough cost is futile. I might phone a mini garage and ask them. Also, I know that some cars need a remap to work with a decat, so would expect a remap would be needed too.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
8,315 Posts
2014/15 is an f56 car
unless it’s showing error lights it should not be an issue for an mot,
I can reset a service light via you-tube, so I’m sure you can.
I think your over thinking the down side
ebay has a standard f56 exhaust available every other week for pennies and I would consider cutting in an aftermarket cat if needed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2014/15 is an f56 car
unless it’s showing error lights it should not be an issue for an mot,
I can reset a service light via you-tube, so I’m sure you can.
I think your over thinking the down side
ebay has a standard f56 exhaust available every other week for pennies and I would consider cutting in an aftermarket cat if needed
I'm in the Mustang community and know some guys with modern Mustangs who have had insurance denied and even cancelled following an undeclared mod, even if that mod is cosmetic. I've even declared that my old car has a modern wiring loom because I don't want to give them any excuse to deny a pay out! A 2015 JCW is a lot of money, so my Mrs doesn't want to run the risk of having a claim denied due to an undeclared decat. She also used to work in insurance and knows the difficultly she will have if she declares it. There are others on the market, we might just wait a few months in case another comes up that she likes.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
8,315 Posts
Coincidentally I use Flux insurance with all mods declared, for about 15years +
Currently a jcw r59 roadster,
equally I haven’t claimed for anything as yet and run a Akrapovic sports cat which flys thru Mot’s so not quite directly comparable with you.

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would never run a de-cat on any car. It is not legal and shouldn't pass an MOT. If a garage will pass it, you may have to ask what else they let go as well. Could it be faulty brakes or a worn suspension joint?

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,637 Posts
I'd say just find another one, there's plenty of cars out there, or repair the one you have

in answer, yes, a de-cat will cause MOT issues, the mods need declaring, not necessarily with significant increased cost as there are insurers happy to take on those with them

you might find having the ECU recoded restores it to stock, but cat cost won't be cheap,

·
Registered
575 Posts
No running a cat is illegal and makes the car unroadworthy, this is far more serious than an MOT issue if the Police decide to enforce the laws correctly.

Refitting a cat should not cause any map issues, removing one does as the post lambda readings are too high and you will get cat inefficiency codes (as there is none). You can bypass these by fitting the post cal lambda in to a sleeve, but that is ignoring the legality issues.

A new cat pipe is around £1000, second hand is around £400, you can also buy cats that can be welded into existing pipes, but it's labour intensive to do.

If you like the car the lack of cat is a price negotiation, not enhancer!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We've found lots online. My wife wants one with heated seats, prefers the two-tone interior, it has to have satnav and she's now been won over by park assist! Next she prefers parking cameras too. That essentially means, the only car with all that on is 4 hours drive away in Somerset (we're in Norfolk). There's no way we can get to view it.

The next best has no parking cameras but does have park assist, although the seller says he doesn't think is parks itself... This one is only 40 minutes from her mothers house, but that has adjustable coilevers. She really does not want to have hassle with insurance every year, so would only consider it if we the coilovers put back to standard. That is pricey, waiting for a quote. Also would look at retrofitting parking camera, which I also would expect to be pricey.

There's more in Tunbridge and Leicester with heated seats and parking cameras, but they don't have park assist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are the coil overs ? if Jcw they should be considered oem and not add much of a premium
if they are high end someone here will fancy them and swap out with used factory for peanuts or cash your way
I haven’t seen the car yet, hope to on Saturday. I will try to get a photo of them. If my wife gets the car and wants it swapped, I would ask the garage to let me take them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts