MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Rooster
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be a good idea to start a topic telling people little things that you didnt know the mini could do, be it open the windows with your key etc.

Yesterday I reset my ECU because the management light came on, so disconnected the battery (in the boot of an S) closed the boot then came inside for half an hour. Went back out to the car to reconnect the battery, went to open the boot and... bugger, wouldnt open :eek:... went into the car and sat on the back seat trying to see if i could get the parcel shelf out, get my hand down the back of the seat to allow me to fold the rear seat down to gain access to the boot. Fail. Pulled off the lower bench and seen a wire with a hoop at the end, couldn't resist pulling it, pulled it and pop, opened up the boot :D

next:)

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
That hoop is for people who lock there keys in the boot. They don't have that feature on the lotus.

·
Rooster
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B

·
0 Posts
That hoop is for people who lock there keys in the boot. They don't have that feature on the lotus.
Also useful for opening the boot from the inside when you have rolled the MINI and your stuck on one side. Lee has moved it so he can pull it from his drivers seat to climb out if he fluffs it on the track. Seems like a good idea as the doors arent light or might not open.

·
Bugger
25,333 Posts
the first mini show in the final design pre production was a fiat punto with a mini shell on and the original idea for the cooper had a dual side exhaust

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
To shut the windows using the key you have to put the key in the lock and turn it to lock the car but keep the key in the locked position and the windows will close.

B

·
0 Posts
To shut the windows using the key you have to put the key in the lock and turn it to lock the car but keep the key in the locked position and the windows will close.
...Along with the sunroof if you have one.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
BMW won a Darwin award for using the most plastic screws, bolts, etc instead of useful metal equivalents ...

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Three electric Minis were also made for use in some subway scenes in the 2003 movie The Italian Job to satisfy the subway authorities concerns over possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
The team of designers working on the 2001 Mini had finished the full-sized clay mock-up of the Mini in plenty of time for a presentation for the board of directors. Chief designer Frank Stephenson realized that the model did not have an exhaust pipe. His short-term solution was to pick up an empty beer can, punch a hole in it, strip off the paint and push it into the clay at the back of the car, which took just a few minutes. The overall design for the mock-up was so good that the board members told him not to change a thing, resulting in the distinctive exhaust tip seen in production cars.[1]

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
The team of designers working on the 2001 Mini had finished the full-sized clay mock-up of the Mini in plenty of time for a presentation for the board of directors. Chief designer Frank Stephenson realized that the model did not have an exhaust pipe. His short-term solution was to pick up an empty beer can, punch a hole in it, strip off the paint and push it into the clay at the back of the car, which took just a few minutes. The overall design for the mock-up was so good that the board members told him not to change a thing, resulting in the distinctive exhaust tip seen in production cars.[1]
The beer can was a Bud apparently;)

·
Rooster
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ah...another i just noticed with the rain... when the wipers are set on the medium setting, then you come to a stop they automatically slow to the intermittent setting.
when driving forwards with your rear wiper on to see out the back, the speed of that varies by the speed that you are using your windscreen wiper cool eh?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
You can reset some of the control units by using key in drivers door and holding in closed position for 30 seconds

·
Registered
365 Posts
Next to the fuel guage is a picture of a pump with an arrow in it that points to the side of the fuel filler.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
1) If you have air con you can turn your glove box into a mini fridge.

2) When parked (with the ignition off) if you flip the left hand stalk towards you as if to flash the lights, you get the 'follow me home' function. The dipped beam and sidelights will stay on for roughly 30 seconds, then automatically shut off. :cool:

3) There is a secret storage compartment for your keys i.e if your at the beach - dont know if its a good idea to air that one. ;)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts