MiniTorque.com banner

1421 - 1440 of 1447 Posts

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,421
Impressive work Themis! Thanks for sharing all the data, makes for some interesting & informative reading. I'm currently running progressive boost on mine too but will have a play on a dyno in the new year to see where it's happiest. I love your boost setup for track most of all, curve looks ideal! How far do you think you can push the limiter? Is there a reason you chose 7300 RPM?
Thanks Joe. Share if you care is the moto...remember?
Limiter is ruled by the engine internals. I’ve got nothing to worry about at 7300rpm. If I want to go above 7500rpm I would add stronger valve springs, different cams etc. But I think there is no reason to do so. The turbo might not like it too, as it will lose its flow at higher rpm. Now, if I had got a big turbo like yours then I would consider to go higher and take advantage of the better flow of the turbo at higher rpm. If you see your power-torque curves, you’ll notice your torque curve is still climbing till your rev limiter. That’s exactly an indication that it is willing to go higher!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks Joe. Share if you care is the moto...remember?
Limiter is ruled by the engine internals. I’ve got nothing to worry about at 7300rpm. If I want to go above 7500rpm I would add stronger valve springs, different cams etc. But I think there is no reason to do so. The turbo might not like it too, as it will lose its flow at higher rpm. Now, if I had got a big turbo like yours then I would consider to go higher and take advantage of the better flow of the turbo at higher rpm. If you see your power-torque curves, you’ll notice your torque curve is still climbing till your rev limiter. That’s exactly an indication that it is willing to go higher!
Indeed! Yours looks very happy at 7300 RPM and gives you a lovely wide power band on your turbo. I've seen a couple of R56 raise the limiter to 8k but I'd rather err on the side of caution. I've fully built my bottom end and head but have a figure of 7500 RPM in my mind, will see how it goes.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,423
It’s all about your choices. If you chose a big turbo and want to spread the power in more rpm so it’s not so abrupt then you’ll have to raise the rev limiter. I wouldn’t go very high, as I’ve seen what can happen after 8k in high powered Mini...especially if you haven’t taken care off every little detail.
Valve springs
Valve caps
Retainers
Piston to valve clearance
Camshaft profile
Crank pulley
Oil pump tensioner
Main crank bolt (that doesn’t have a lock)

All of these would worry me if I had to go over 7,5k and would have to address each one with caution.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,424
I have useable power from 2300 to 7300 so I have spread my power band across 5000rpm which makes the car ready to accelerate in any gear at any rpm...
That’s the way I want it for my intended use. We all want different things, hence the big differences in tuning philosophy.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,428
Are they your photos?

I saw one of those mercs doing winter testing at Brands the start of the year and the noise is absolutely epic.
No man, I’m no photographer. Most of them are taken from a professional.

Epic sound is an understatement...I reckon “holly” is the right word!

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,629 Posts
No man, I’m no photographer. Most of them are taken from a professional.

Epic sound is an understatement...I reckon “holly” is the right word!

You need Go to British gt series and hear the Bentley chasing them @ Silverstone, that's a real noise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Themis,

Read the complete thread, great stuff.

By the graphs, it looks like like You are running leaner, with the 2283 compressor, even after the tuning, is there any specific reason?
How are the EGT's?

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,431
Hi Themis,

Read the complete thread, great stuff.

By the graphs, it looks like like You are running leaner, with the 2283 compressor, even after the tuning, is there any specific reason?
How are the EGT's?
Hi,
The injectors were maxed out tune wise but since the last dynos on November we checked the injectors and one of them didn’t pass the test, so I replaced it with a new one. EGTs are normal in track...they don’t exceed 1000oC regardless of how many laps I press. Unfortunately I don’t have any logs from the road cause meanwhile the car has been modified only for track use and have participated in two events. Managed to win my first cup (2nd place extreme2 category).
Racing oil cooler is to be fitted shortly too. I’ll try to keep the thread to date, there is so much going on with this car...

Bear with me...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,432 (Edited)
2019 was the year of choices...
I took the all-racing road and made a big list of modifications to be made in order to make the Mini a pure racing car, more competitive in the extreme class were lots of mods are allowed.
So, the main mod was to skim a lot of weight...less weight=faster car
Removed all interior panels, seats, carpet, sunroof, center console etc.
Replaced bonnet, doors, roof and hatch with polyester parts.
Welded new driver’s seat base, full cage and a lifting system (double plates and tubes) for the use of four tripods.
Removed the lights and everything unnecessary for weight reduction.
Also replaced the steering wheel with a racing OMP.
ABS was removed and a rear brake bias regulator combined with dual gauges was installed.
Replaced the Quaife for an OS Giken too.
I’m sure I forget a lot of things but I’ll let the photos do the talking...

The outcome is a 300bhp/ton pure racing machine which corners and accelerates exceptionally well. Of course there are things to be enhanced still but it is already 2 seconds faster than before and it has huge potential to be even faster.
I need to make some tweaks to the brake pump for better brake balance, maybe new pedal box with separate pumps and fit the oil cooler kit for longer races.

TBC...

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,629 Posts
Hi Themis
I'd thought a tow strap would be lighter than the tow eye, or is it not allowed ?
These tiny grams are becoming important :tongue_smilie:

Are you running 2 part front discs yet ?
What's your choice of pad ?

Have you anything left to consider?
I know your not convinced about water/meth injection but a lot of high Power r56 have it as "support"
That apart it looks to me like you have just about everything possible covered now?

Perhaps getting your son behind the wheel will help save those last few kg :thumbup:

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,439
Hi Themis
I'd thought a tow strap would be lighter than the tow eye, or is it not allowed ?
These tiny grams are becoming important :tongue_smilie:

Are you running 2 part front discs yet ?
What's your choice of pad ?

Have you anything left to consider?
I know your not convinced about water/meth injection but a lot of high Power r56 have it as "support"
That apart it looks to me like you have just about everything possible covered now?

Perhaps getting your son behind the wheel will help save those last few kg :thumbup:
Hi,

Tow straps not allowed.
Stock GP2 discs hold up just fine.
Carbotech pads as always.
Meth is not allowed unfortunately.

There are several things to consider in order to improve handling and braking. We are already working on it, from now on it’s just about little tweaks to give me more confidence to press harder.
The car is a killer, weight reduction has transformed it into a serious weapon. The way it turns in is just phenomenal and when on the gas pedal it feels like it’s on rails. I’m not used to it completely yet, it has so much more to offer...

Lovely “little” Mini...

1421 - 1440 of 1447 Posts