MiniTorque.com banner

1401 - 1420 of 1447 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
616 Posts
I fitted only the exhaust manifold and the turbo. It was difficult enough finding a manifold which didn't cost a shit load of money.... At least I managed to build a v band 3" Outlet like you did.

I Need to get a few things to get my car running. My project is halted because of my finances

As for the Greek guys, I made a screenshot of their post on Facebook.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk
Indeed thats the strongest and another 2 are above 500. Using GM injectors for fuel. Updated rear fuel pump and second set of injectors. Despite that one being gtx3071 it spools amazingly fast. Revlimit has found a recipe. Proud to having my car programmed by them. Soon GTX way and long tube header on mine

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G960F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
616 Posts
I assume you are forging everything.
Bye bye Serres...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah fully forged....but the big thing is that it will be tracked. Not aiming for big numbers....my set up is going to be mind blowing. I ve had lots of data gathered and am going to post everything by the end of 2019. Until then I will still be the fastest stock block n14 mini with street tyres..... soon with semi.... not going for full slick cause I might break even 1.30

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,404
Yeah fully forged....but the big thing is that it will be tracked. Not aiming for big numbers....my set up is going to be mind blowing. I ve had lots of data gathered and am going to post everything by the end of 2019. Until then I will still be the fastest stock block n14 mini with street tyres..... soon with semi.... not going for full slick cause I might break even 1.30
It sounds very challenging this project of yours. I wish you good luck. I would love some strong competition that can break 1.30 at Serres. Not an easy task though...
Your “stock block” comment is irrelevant when we are talking lap times. It’s all about the power-to-weight ratio and tyres that matter. What was the lap time, your engine power and with which tyres?
Fastest stock block N14 Mini? I don’t think so. Mine is a stock block too...

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
616 Posts
It sounds very challenging this project of yours. I wish you good luck. I would love some strong competition that can break 1.30 at Serres. Not an easy task though...
Your “stock block” comment is irrelevant when we are talking lap times. It’s all about the power-to-weight ratio and tyres that matter. What was the lap time, your engine power and with which tyres?
Fastest stock block N14 Mini? I don’t think so. Mine is a stock block too...

Fastest non forged (engine never been opened 150k kms)....oem turbo.... With nankang ns2r (Non semi). 1.34.300. Thats what I call stockish. Car has lost about 40 kilos. Nothing more. Horsepower is as safe as it can get for an engine of that mileage...

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
616 Posts
I’ve got some very good used slicks for you. If you want them send me a pm.
Below 1.30 lap times for sure...

I dont have enough power themi. My mini with these monsters will die in every straight of serres circuit.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,408 (Edited)
I dont have enough power themi. My mini with these monsters will die in every straight of serres circuit.

They are not monsters at all. Effective tread width is 190mm (medium) 187mm (hard) and overall 205mm. I believe you have mapped your ecu? Can’t be less than 225bhp?

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,410 (Edited)
Yesterday was a good day! We strapped the Mini on the dyno to test and tune for the new hybrid RCZ-R turbo.

We started from the lowest boost setting with the boost controller “off”. Boost-wise this means:

And power-wise:

Compared to the stock RCZ-R turbo boost and AFR:

Power & torque:

Now, at this point we were a little puzzled as with a bit more boost we made pretty much the same power. Theoretically with a larger volume of air from the larger compressor we should have got more power...not the case with this combo as the data logs showed that we have to tune for the extra air. So we did...
We played with fuelling, timing and vanos configuration and we got this...
Comparison of power and torque before and after mapping the ecu with the “off” setting on the boost controller:

Boost and AFR comparison of the above dynos:

New tune with a 7300rpm rev limiter and the engine has transformed. The sound is just unreal...and 265bhp from 6500 to 7300rpm with only 0,88bar!

To be continued...

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
616 Posts
These 700rpm of usable power to the red limit will transform your PB in serres. Bigger power band always benefits track times.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,412 (Edited)
Let’s add some boost then:

Power and torque (not maxed out):

My tuner is trying to destroy my new driveshafts...

Comparison of the fat curve vs the stock RCZ-R turbo max power.

Boost and AFR of the above dynos:

Now let’s add some numbers on the upper rpm scale:
Boost & AFR vs stock RCZ-R turbo max power:

Power & torque

It’s getting serious and the engine is screaming for more...

The last dyno is a track boost curve with peak power but with relatively conservative boost settings (80%)above 6500rpm because the fuelling system is maxed out...
Power & torque

Boost & AFR

To be continued...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,413
It was May 2013 when I first dynoed my built engine and this is where I started compared to where I’ve reached today. It’s shocking nevertheless just looking at that gap...

Even more rewarding is that it runs fine after all these years of hard abuse and this weekend is going to face the ultimate time attack challenge head to head with the “big” guys...it’s going to be interesting I reckon...

·
Registered
69 Posts
So 320 HP is the max capacity of the stock fuel system. Not so bad considering yours had a base power of 174 hp.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,415
So 320 HP is the max capacity of the stock fuel system. Not so bad considering yours had a base power of 174 hp.

On the upper scale of the rpm, yes 325bhp is the limit, but we overstepped the fuel system even at midrange rpm 4000-4500 where we boosted till 1,80bar and there wasn’t enough of fuel...
Don’t ask me how much torque it did...
So, at this point I would conclude that 450-460Nm of torque midrange and 325bhp near or above 7000rpm is the limit of the stock fuel system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On the upper scale of the rpm, yes 325bhp is the limit, but we overstepped the fuel system even at midrange rpm 4000-4500 where we boosted till 1,80bar and there wasn’t enough of fuel...
Don’t ask me how much torque it did...
So, at this point I would conclude that 450-460Nm of torque midrange and 325bhp near or above 7000rpm is the limit of the stock fuel system.

What an exciting project! Sounds like it has the potential to become a monster with an upgraded fuel system...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,418
How about the clutch?

Be good to see how the weekend works out,
will anyone else on the grid know you have been fiddling around under the hood ?
The clutch didn’t slip on the dyno and we had 34 runs...
Now, I haven’t driven it on the road since yesterday, but I assume it survived...

If I give you the list of participants you will see that the least powerful car is the Porsche Cayman GT4 cup, so I don’t think they mind.
And they will know it as soon as they hear it. It sounds so much different above 5000rpm!
It should be a totally different animal as long as I adapt in the new rev-limiter settings...and the more revs I’ll have in my disposal will help me concentrate more on my lines and speed. We will see. It’s a mind game for me...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Impressive work Themis! Thanks for sharing all the data, makes for some interesting & informative reading. I'm currently running progressive boost on mine too but will have a play on a dyno in the new year to see where it's happiest. I love your boost setup for track most of all, curve looks ideal! How far do you think you can push the limiter? Is there a reason you chose 7300 RPM?

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,420 (Edited)
Mind game went good...
Got used to the higher rev limiter and power, concentrated on my driving and when there was no traffic in track I managed to shave nearly a second of my personal best lap times.

https://youtu.be/x7XWERGidws

The engine is a screamer:
https://youtu.be/Y1DO16VA_D4

AMG GTR ruined a lap under 1.28 on Saturday:
https://youtu.be/XZpdke5Kcb0

Following the M3 E30 (time attack championship second place with 367bhp and 1100kg and sequential gearbox) and Honda S2000 turbo (time attack championship first place with 470bhp and 1100kg).
https://youtu.be/VsMkiMIOHTQ

Now, I have so much to share with you, I don’t know where to start. Maybe the videos don’t do it justice but the feeling you get inside the Mini driving around track is almost frightening! I used 80% of the boost available by the boost controller and it worked like a charm through the whole weekend. It never missed a bit and it lapped a total of 70 laps. I wasn’t easy on it at all...in fact I thrashed it so much, that at the end of the day I even felt bad. Never mind, it’s all about science...
The way it screams and goes till the rev limiter blows me away every time. Faster at all straights and 10km/h faster at the long straight shows me that it’s a hell of a power difference. I managed place 22 of 51 cars, here is the rankings:

Next on my plans, prepare for time attack last round 1-2 December. Oil and brake fluid change, alignment and off we go.

1401 - 1420 of 1447 Posts