MiniTorque.com banner

121 - 140 of 1447 Posts

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Okada plasma direct ignition coils...

Further Evolving...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342618221.435010.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342618242.186928.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342618262.708133.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342618280.341915.jpg
What I noticed is that the Okada coil is made by Bosch!

Since December 2007 my oem ignition coils have worked flawlessly. Tbh the stock coils are very good and with various tunes and spark plugs with various air gaps I have used over the past 5 years they never missed a bit.

However Imran found that the Okada plasma direct have a better function and he also found some missing Bhp from back to back dyno testing. As you all know ignition is very critical in tuned engines especially turbo engines running more boost.
So, I will fit the Okadas trying to find that extra something and as usual I will do back to back dyno testing with various Evolve maps I've got, to see the differences.
Once I make my conclusions I will also test the Brisk silver spark plugs which I used in the past but didn't work out well. Maybe there is a chance they work along with the Okadas without misfires and I look forward achieving this cause Brisk silver series is truly the only spark plug for the N14 engine with a lower heat range which may unlock the full potential of the engine. When tested them a year ago, the engine acoustically was far better than with the NGK iridium or platinum, leaving me the promise to altered ignition advance and consequently more power.

Stay tuned...

Ps: thanks Imran for the top service!

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
thanks for the updates. odd exhaust, but i guess it will grow on us. sounds really throaty. thanks for the brake update. did you have to modify the 2 pins that slot through the caliper and pads?
i hope you get good results with the plugs, they okadas are looking promising

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
thanks for the updates. odd exhaust, but i guess it will grow on us. sounds really throaty. thanks for the brake update. did you have to modify the 2 pins that slot through the caliper and pads?
i hope you get good results with the plugs, they okadas are looking promising
You are welcome. Yes the exhaust is really odd (aesthetically I prefer the twin tip), but it is better in flow than the JCW stage1 back box and the turbo spools faster, not to mention that it sounds LOUD!
No, the two pins do not need any modification, they fit fine.
Tomorrow is the day for the coil-plug testing, stay tuned...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
First verdict from the Okadas...
= [email protected]!

Spark plugs: NGK JCW Iridium

We ran a less boost map (16-18psi) cause there was too much heat...today's ambient 38oC! The result from just the swap of the coils, with a hot intake!, was nevertheless surprising...three dyno tests back to back with IAT starting from 40oC reaching 50oC.

These coils are beyond any expectations!
Especially after 4500rpm till the redline they produce a genuine +10bhp difference from the stock (Delphi) coils.

Imagine the ambient being lower...

Surely a part anyone would want to do as a first update to their engine, cause I don't know many simple part's swap to have such gains!

Once again, Imran you hit the jackpot!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hope i get mine back soon from Imran so I can get nearer 300 bhp in my first proper engine mod session.

Well done on all the testing. Hope to hear on progress with the brisk plugs.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
Hope i get mine back soon from Imran so I can get nearer 300 bhp in my first proper engine mod session.

Well done on all the testing. Hope to hear on progress with the brisk plugs.
Matty, the Brisks are not going to work I'm afraid... Still waiting for a sophisticated answer from Czar, two years later...Even with a reduced air gap such as 0,4mm (very tight) they have a very rough idle... If you open the gap to 0,5mm they induce misfires over 4000 rpm...
Currently, the best spark plug that worked for me with various turbos, maps and boost pressures is the JCW NGK Iridium with stock air gap! Reducing the gap makes the spark weaker but helps a little with the preignition. Now that the Okadas took over I am more confident loosing the tighter gaps and returning to the stock air gap that the JCW's spark plugs have out from the box. They even had a 7-8bhp (reduced gap versus stock gap) gain...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Matty, the Brisks are not going to work I'm afraid... Still waiting for a sophisticated answer from Czar, two years later...Even with a reduced air gap such as 0,4mm (very tight) they have a very rough idle... If you open the gap to 0,5mm they induce misfires over 4000 rpm...
Currently, the best spark plug that worked for me with various turbos, maps and boost pressures is the JCW NGK Iridium with stock air gap! Reducing the gap makes the spark weaker but helps a little with the preignition. Now that the Okadas took over I am more confident loosing the tighter gaps and returning to the stock air gap that the JCW's spark plugs have out from the box. They even had a 7-8bhp (reduced gap versus stock gap) gain...

That's a good result for a coil pack change , shows how rough the combustion gets with upping boost - it should also be possible to fit a HKS DLI unit to the 56
The DLI would take a bit of a scan through the wiring diagram to install but give similar results .

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Thanks for testing independently Themis. Its nice to see our results being back up again. If you can send me the dyno graph I'd appreciate that.

I think they are well worth the money on tuned R56s and we have them in stock too.

Matty I bought a new set so you can have yours back anytime - just let me know. Thank you again for letting us test these otherwise I never would have considered them.

= [email protected]!

We ran a less boost map (16-18psi) cause there was too much heat...today's ambient 38oC! The result from just the swap of the coils, with a hot intake!, was nevertheless surprising...three dyno tests back to back with IAT starting from 40oC reaching 50oC.

Especially after 4500rpm till the redline they produce a genuine +10bhp difference from the stock (Delphi) coils.

Surely a part anyone would want to do as a first update to their engine, cause I don't know many simple part's swap to have such gains!

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
That's a good result for a coil pack change , shows how rough the combustion gets with upping boost - it should also be possible to fit a HKS DLI unit to the 56
The DLI would take a bit of a scan through the wiring diagram to install but give similar results .
That's a very good result I reckon for a two minute job. And the map I tested the coils with had only a bit more boost than stock. (JCW stage 1 map=14-16psi...Evolve stage 1=16-18psi). I don't think that combustion gets very upset with 2psi more...
I guess that running the high boost file will yield an even better result. Not this summer though... I dont want to push my luck. I'll do further testing probably when ambient drops again at reasonable levels around 20oC.
I don't know about the HKS DLI but Okada nailed it with their coils!

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Thanks for testing independently Themis. Its nice to see our results being back up again. If you can send me the dyno graph I'd appreciate that.

I think they are well worth the money on tuned R56s and we have them in stock too.
You are welcome Imran. It went better than I had expected. I didn't take any dyno files with me, but next time I visit my mates there, I will...
Worth the money for sure...it should be step number 1 for any Mini.

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Awesome result, can't wait to get these in ours. So evolve testing and themis' testing have shown similar results which is encouraging and yet another great product for the r56.

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
= [email protected]!

That's a lot of bang for buck, I can't wait to get mine fitted now :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Great results, i can confirm that these are a good investment for the R56, with my own limited time with them installed, i found with the extra boost my hybrid turbo is running they have helped the smoothness in it power delivery, as it feels like it does not feel out of breath and has smooth out the surges in power, i put it down to be they are burning the fuel quicker.
For information i too run NGK iridium spark plugs.

121 - 140 of 1447 Posts