MiniTorque.com banner

81 - 100 of 1447 Posts

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341498388.606603.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341498409.765941.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341498486.123495.jpg

So, today the brake modification for the JCW Brembo calipers with Nitrac 316x26mm 2-piece discs and Carbotech XP8s is finished. Everything went as planned. Unfortunately I was too busy today and couldn't pop in the garage to take photos of the caliper's spacers. Hard metal sheets of 4mm were machined (2 pieces per caliper) with double o-rings for the brake fluid passage. The calipers were assembled with no problems and everything is as it should be. I also went from Motul RBF600 to Motul RBF 660.

Verdict:

There is a specific bedding in procedure Carbotech and Nitrac advise and I am following it blindly. I will have the final outcome once they are bedded in completely. But, even with the surfaces not completely matched, there is surely a very stronger bite and the power is immense! It feels like I went from 316mm to a much bigger dimension. No tremble at all, little noise from the pads but nothing annoying at all and a characteristic noise from a disc with grooves (nice one). Compared with the cross-drilled JCW discs and Ferodo DS2500 the new combo is much much better...
I can't wait to bed them in properly and put high stress on them for the first time.

Mission accomplished, the first 2-piece thicker disc conversion for JCW Brembo kit is here...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Very, very nice......if you have anymore info on the spacers (or a drawing) as I need to understand where the o-rings go that would be much appreciated.....or two extra spacers made for me :laugh:::getcoat::. I spoke to Nitrac and have some options- just need to sort out these spacer for the calipers. Cheers.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Thanks guys...I appreciate the interest.

Mark if you have a closer look at the pictures in post no. 73 you will see that the caliper is joined on two separate points (where the shiny aluminium is). In each one it has three holes. The outer holes are for the fixing bolts (different length with each other) and the center hole is the brake fluid passage. The internal piece of the caliper (the one which does not have the JCW logo on it) has a small cavity to accommodate the o-ring where as the external piece of the caliper (the one with the logo) has an o-ring. Two separate spacers needed for each caliper! So, starting from the external part of the caliper, the surfaces joining together go like this...External caliper piece with o-ring, spacers face with small cavity (exactly the same as the internal piece of the caliper), spacers face with o-ring, internal calipers piece with small cavity for the o-ring. Job done...
I don't know if you inderstood from my description but if you take closer looks at the photos posted you'll get what I mean, unfortunately I couldn't take photos of the spacers. They were cheap as chips (around £30) and if I wanted to copy the prototype spacer and produce 20 more (5 sets) it would be £15 for all of them! The one made from scratch was harder to machine cause it's a prototype.
Now, as I put miles on them and bed them in, more detailed conclusions would be made. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
192 Posts
For £15 I would be willing to send that to you now to get some sets made up!!:thumbup:

Awesome work, really like what you have done here and the possibilty of more braking power.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
For £15 I would be willing to send that to you now to get some sets made up!!:thumbup:

Awesome work, really like what you have done here and the possibilty of more braking power.
Cheers mate, but now that the calipers are put back together and the spacers are in place, I am not going to disassemble them in order to produce spare spacers. I am not a supplier nor I intend to be. All I can do is give guidance through my own experience. Come on, it won't be that difficult to have them made even better in the UK.

Thanks for your kind reply.
Just something to straighten up things...not a possibility...A FACT!
Not only in terms of stopping power (Carbotechs helped a lot I think) but also in terms of ventilation (cooler disc=better performance) and duration and less possibility to warp under extreme conditions. All of these are enough for me to be in the trouble of doing such a conversion.

People, look at the pics closer and realize that the JCW discs (which are very good to start with) seem like a joke compared to the Nitrac's. Ventilation is improved by miles (probably 200%) and in terms of thickness the Nitrac's are huge...Beefier in all seriousness...

My close friend/mechanic was so impressed that his first words were that this thing is trying to lift the rear every time you get hard on it...:)

All comments welcome...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good work.

If I understand it correctly the new discs are 4mm wider yet two spacers are required per caliper?

And if the metal used was 4mm then the 2 spacers add 8mm width?

Just wondering why you have to increase the distance between pads by 8mm if the disc width is 4mm wider.

Sorry if I am being thick. Would have just thought increasing by 4mm would have kept distance between pads the same as OEM.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One 4mm spacer goes at the top joint, one 4mm spacer goes at the bottom joint, they are not used against each other so in total it's only 4mm thick.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Matty what he ^^^said...just 4mm total offset of the outer piece of the caliper to compensate for the 4mm thicker disc. And the bell is machined accordingly, so center of the thicker disc is the same as the center of the caliper. Thus, the caliper's pistons have exactly the same travel as with the stock disc.

Thanks.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I want to thank Alan from Nitrac for his dedication and support. From the design till the manufacture of the final product his help was vital. He did his best, with professionalism, to ensure that the final product will meet my requirements.

Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
684 Posts
With regards to the DS2500 you said before you need to file them down to fit, do you have any more information? How much, and where from. thanks.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
On the Ferodo DS2500 FCP1298H you need to reduce thickness of all four pads equally by 2mm at the whole surface of the pad of course that is.
It is vital that this reduction is done with the appropriate machinery (better let a professional do it) in order to be 2mm through the whole surface.
Remember to take health and safety precautions when resurfacing them...Beware! do not breath in the dust produced in the process!

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
well done mate. nice work on the discs. look epic. sound epic and must perform epicly!
thanks for sharing this. great info indeed.
are nitrac making any more of these or was is just a one off?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Pics do not always show up so now see that spacer is at top and bottom, which I guess helps with cooling with the space in between.

I guess a few people may turn to this option when needing new pads and disks. I guess the only factor most will have to consider is clearance between caliper and wheel spokes.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
well done mate. nice work on the discs. look epic. sound epic and must perform epicly!
thanks for sharing this. great info indeed.
are nitrac making any more of these or was is just a one off?
Thanks, really appreciate it mate...:thumbup1:
We are all here to share ain't we? I am really enjoying it, giving info and motivating someone to do something even better than I did. Isn't it great? That's what keeps us evolving...

I am sure Alan @Nitrac can materialize whatever design you wish. Especially now that there is a donor rotor of 316x26mm and my prototype disc has a bell designed based on the 4mm spacer used. You could also go without the spacers keeping the same bell design as stock and just trim 2mm off of each pad every time you change them and still accommodate the 26mm thick disc. I personally didn't want to do that cause I've done it already with the Ferodos. Not that they had any functional problems, just don't feel is the right thing to do...and was curious splitting the Brembos really...:tongue_smilie:

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
Thanks for the clarification. Pics do not always show up so now see that spacer is at top and bottom, which I guess helps with cooling with the space in between.

I guess a few people may turn to this option when needing new pads and disks. I guess the only factor most will have to consider is clearance between caliper and wheel spokes.
Yes I know what you mean about the caliper-wheel clearance. Although I don't use any spacers in my Compomotives the clearance was 13mm before and now 9mm...Plenty to accommodate a 34mm thick disc!!!
Even with the stock rims it was 5mm and now 1mm! but tried them today and they just fit...amazing!
So, another option available is always a win, even if someone has to use thicker wheel spacers...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
I've been thinking lately to go for a different design exhaust for rally mode. I mentioned a side exit straight pipe for rally mode after the downpipe but tried it (removing the exhaust after the downpipe) and it is too damned loud! The whole car is vibrating and unless you wear ear plugs the noise is like a NASCAR...

So, I thought to just have a different design back box less restrictive than the JCW stage 1.
What would you say for a single tip back box with a slash cut 100mm tip? It will surely sound mental. Probably more than this...

All comments are welcome...

81 - 100 of 1447 Posts