MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 1447 Posts

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Hi, newbie here, just learning about these engines, excellent info keep it coming if you don't mind

Is this correct, the "water cooled turbo" doesn't get it's water cooling for like 6.5 minutes after start up? WTF :eek:hmy:

Would someone like Evolve be able to rectify these settings do you think? I will, of course, ask them direct when I plan my visit but would appreciate your input.
I am here to share my small experience on this car and as long as the community is interested, I will be giving my feedback.

As Adam pointed out, DO NOT spank the turbo when cold...Generally do not spank any motor when cold...On the Mini the water pump is an on demand unit as well as the oil pump. Oil is also used as cooling means for the pistons and all its internals (oil sprayed pistons) and for the turbo (oil is cooling the shaft bearings). You wouldn't want to put stress on either the engine and the turbo when cold.
Patiently wait for the engine to come into its working temp, while driving it (water,oil at appropriate temp) and then spank it...Remember as soon as it reaches its working temperature the better, so don't idle the engine from cold...(if you do, you are actually adding to the carbon issue as well)
And after a spirited drive, let the turbo and the engine to cool down. Use a higher gear and let the car roll (faster cooling, EGTs drop faster) then wait at idle for some minutes prior shutting off the engine.
Now, I have the EGT gauges and noticed that the EGT's after some spanking drop to 450oC after about 5 minutes at idle. Leave it to idle a little bit...do not rely on the auxiliary water pump (for the turbo) to cool down your turbo cause its like you are asking it to drop from 800-900oC to 400-500oC in a fraction of a second. You can imagine how bad is that for its internals...

I am sure Imran will chime in if he has something to add...

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
Thanks for that, don't get me wrong I'm not into ragging an engine from cold.
What I was getting at is that 6.5 minutes is an awfully long time for a turbo to have to wait to be cooled!

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Noise generator delete...

This is the way to get rid of the stock noise generator and at the same time loose weight (the whole damn thing weighs over a kilogram) and also free some space.
The new piece is made of high grade aluminium and has a small lip at both sides to ensure tight fit with the Samcos.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335087897.946593.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335087942.260502.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335087994.963669.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,481 Posts
Patiently wait for the engine to come into its working temp, while driving it (water,oil at appropriate temp) and then spank it...
Just to go back to this, its amusing that given how important this is on the R56 that they decided to not even bother with a water temp gauge or anything like that to help decide when the car has warmed up sufficiently...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just to go back to this, its amusing that given how important this is on the R56 that they decided to not even bother with a water temp gauge or anything like that to help decide when the car has warmed up sufficiently...
It is amazing how many issues have been pointed out at forums like MT regarding design flaws of the car. I think BMW-Mini should compensate us...for giving such details to the general public.
So, Mrs. BMW-Mini for next Christmas, I would like a Mini WRC as compensation for the damage you have caused me the last 5 years...please:lol:

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Don't know about compo , they may send a hit man round for me ,lol
Truth be known I doubt they care about forum opinions , they sell millions of cars to non forum people , who don't care .As long as the warranty covers all , and they don't keep cars anyway.
Just about all manufacturers with modern cars have loads of problems , seems to have gotten worse in the last decade, they just seem to release new models as a fix .
Cars are just too complex now .

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Agree 100% Adam.
The degree of car's complexity nowadays is proportional to the defects they have. And the more defects the cars have, the more money the companies make. They just have to wrap their fail with beautiful gimmicks and presto...another new shiny model for us.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
There is light at the end of the tunnel :
The economy is shattered , and more people will demand shit that works , there is capacity for nearly 20 million cars per annum in Europe and sales are down to 10 million cars .
Lesson to manufactures : people won't buy shit that doesn't work any more : or believe that oil needs changing every decade , or a quick flash round is a service , or the funkiest dash display that fails and cost £1000 to fix is better than a cable speedo that lasted 30 years .
It hurts paying for petrol , people don't need bending over at the dealers every month !

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Wheels and brakes...

Mini R104 Crown-spoke 7x17 ET48 22.7lb (10.3kg)
Clearance from JCW Brembo caliper: 5mm
No spacers needed
IMG_1380.jpg

Compomotive MO 1771 7x17 ET43 20.3lb (9.2kg)
Clearance from JCW Brembo caliper: 13mm
No spacers needed
GOPR0322.jpg GOPR0244.jpg GOPR0256.jpg

As seen in the pictures above there is a very tight fit with the crown-spokes whereas loads of clearance with the Comps.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Nitrac disks/Carbotech pads...

Brakes update...

Just received my Carbotech pads.
First, I am going to try the XP8s front with stock JCW Jurid rears.
I also got a pair of XP10s front and XP8s rear to use on rally events.

Currently waiting for my Nitrac discs to fit my modified JCW Brembo 4-pot calipers.
Nitrac is producing custom-made two-piece discs for me with a fully cryo treated rotor 316x26mm (yes, 4mm thicker than stock) with 8 curved grooves and black hard anodized bells from 2075 H15 grade aluminium with 8 fixing bolts and K-nuts.
I am also going to produce a high grade steel adapter/spacer 4mm thick to compensate for the excess thickness of the disc and keep the caliper and disk centers intact.

Once everything is sorted out I will fit and test them and if anyone is interested I can give my feedback...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks mate...

It has some potential for sure. Lighter than the stock JCW stock setup, stronger (being cryo-treated) and less prone to warping (being 26mm instead of 22mm). Once fitted I will see how they get on...

41 - 60 of 1447 Posts