MiniTorque.com banner

501 - 520 of 1447 Posts

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
nice cooler. looks oem to me, except for the take of plate. why did you make the take off plate? was it not a direct fit?

this solution you has suggested might just be the ticket other than a remote mocal oil cooler like the one i am currently trying to fit.
together with a revised oil pump. :thumbup:

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
Do want! :drool:

Did you buy or did you make it?
Both.

nice cooler. looks oem to me, except for the take of plate. why did you make the take off plate? was it not a direct fit?

this solution you has suggested might just be the ticket other than a remote mocal oil cooler like the one i am currently trying to fit.
together with a revised oil pump. :thumbup:
It's not OEM...
I am sorry, I can't give further info yet, cause I gave my word. Once the man who gave me the tip allows me to tell more, I reassure you all that I will.

So does the R56 not route the coolant through the exchanger like the R53?
Yes it does...that's the principle to every oil exchanger...
It has 4 holes. Two for the water circuit (in-out) and two for the oil (in-out). Water passes through the exchanger cooling the oil. Plus the fact that this particular oil exchanger has a special core incorporating radiator plates, enhancing further more the cooling effect. Not to mention, as seen in the photos, it is a bigger core as well...:cools:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just out of curiosity: Wouldn't it be good, to make the DP heatshield a bit longer, so the oilcooler will be less exposed to heat?

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
Just out of curiosity: Wouldn't it be good, to make the DP heatshield a bit longer, so the oilcooler will be less exposed to heat?
The oil cooler is not exposed to the DP's heat, cause there is another heat shield (front one) which covers the whole DP.
At the photo above only the back heat shield is fitted and no DP in place.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
The oil cooler works 2 ways :, when the oil is cold the coolant which heats much faster , warms the oil faster . Also once the oil is hot , the cooler uses the water to cool the oil , but oil cooling is limited by the coolant temp maximum
Fluid to fluid cooling is better but air to fluid has an advantage in greater temp differences ie outside air temp , and if the coolant system is overworked then it cannot exchange heat fast enough ie not enough coolant flow to exchange to the oil
Air cooled coolers also take much longer for oil to warm - oil stat needed
Themis as your cooler is larger more heat to / from oil due surface area at the same flow = win as long as coolant system has capacity , and at your power level I would see no problems

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
I couldn't write a better explanation than Adam's...
Thanks mate.
In this case theory is proved by practice cause as said above, this particular part is extensively tested in an engine revving 2000+rpm more than the N14 stock rev limiter...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
Already did and drove my first 100 miles...
It runs smoother than ever!
No weird noises whatsoever.
Running in the engine currently patiently trying not to exceed certain EGT limits and revs.
300 miles and the first oil will be changed and appropriate checks will be made.
Rewarding days...

501 - 520 of 1447 Posts