MiniTorque.com banner

441 - 460 of 1447 Posts

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #441 (Edited)
Your comments good or bad are always welcome...I know you are over observant, please don't apologize, it's a good thing.
I decided to stick with the stock cast crank cause:
A. It was in mint condition
B. No need for a custom-made billet one (revs are staying within reasonable limits)
C. The billet crank (if I found one) would cost me an arm, a leg and probably a kidney too, so I passed...

Any more issues I should have addressed Roger?

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #442 (Edited)
New engine tolerances:
(Blown gas used)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360913380.733104.jpg

The stock engine tolerances from the factory were: 0,0225' (top ring).
That was a huge gap 4,5 times the Mahle Motorsport spec and explains the oil consumption from brand new. It also indicates that it is not due to wear because the oil consumption was extremely stable from 0 to 44k miles.
I don't know if all of these engines have the same tolerances, maybe mine was built on a Saturday night!

Also, all of the leak-down tests I have done previously indicated a 40% blow by (green region=acceptable is 20-40%).
Yesterday I did a leak-down test to the new assembled engine...
With 7bar air input I get 5% blow by on all 4 cylinders which practically is very tight!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Your comments good or bad are always welcome...I know you are over observant, please don't apologize, it's a good thing.
I decided to stick with the stock cast crank cause:
A. It was in mint condition
B. No need for a custom-made billet one (revs are staying within reasonable limits)
C. The billet crank (if I found one) would cost me an arm, a leg and probably a kidney too, so I passed...

Any more issues I should have addressed Roger?
I can't think of any at the moment, there are things I would have done and do differently, but that's just me.

New engine tolerances:
(Blown gas used)
View attachment 14509

The stock engine tolerances from the factory were: 0,0225' (top ring).
That was a huge gap 4,5 times the Mahle Motorsport spec and explains the oil consumption from brand new. It also indicates that it is not due to wear because the oil consumption was extremely stable from 0 to 44k miles.
I don't know if all of these engines have the same tolerances, maybe mine was built on a Saturday night!

Also, all of the leak-down tests I have done previously indicated a 40% blow by (green region=acceptable is 20-40%).
Yesterday I did a leak-down test to the new assembled engine...
With 7bar air input I get 5% blow by on all 4 cylinders which practically is very tight!
How did you go about measuring that top ring gap ? I know I shouldn't have to ask Themis, it's my curiosity, many people get this wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Be carefull with the gap, it's better to be on the safe side with slightly larger gap, than be on the limit, if the gap is smaller that it should the rings will fail.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #448 (Edited)
Be carefull with the gap, it's better to be on the safe side with slightly larger gap, than be on the limit, if the gap is smaller that it should the rings will fail.
Thanks for the heads up Nick, didn't do anything smart there...just followed the manufacturer instructions...
Everyone seems to have done things differently but I have yet to see any info on that matter...
My humble opinion is to appreciate the info given...after all it is up to each one of you to do it better than me...This is what I call evolving!

·
Registered
508 Posts
What's the chain and sprockets done wrong, to not receive any build lube ?

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Ok, thats what i would do too, but still be carerfull, with aftermarket parts following the instructions doesn't always work, i am telling by experience. You have to check absolutely everything, and experience is needed on a specific motor.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
Ok, thats what i would should do too, but still be carerfull, with aftermarket parts following the instructions doesn't always work, i am telling by experience. You have to check absolutely everything.
Thanks Nick. That's actually what I have been doing for so long now...and in the process I modified many of the manufacturer's mismatches!!!
As said above, nothing is bolt on!!! And whoever thinks that all it takes is "just" to bolt new things on, is fooled...

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Did you weight the OEM and Ferrea valvetrain parts for comparison? Also stock vs aftermarket pistons and rods? Did you check the OEM crankshaft balancing?

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
Did you weight the OEM and Ferrea valvetrain parts for comparison? Also stock vs aftermarket pistons and rods? Did you check the OEM crankshaft balancing?
Yes to all your questions...in fact Ferrea weight data comparisons is a few pages back on this thread with some nice photos too!
Unlike the stock components, the aftermarket pistons and rods are within very tight weight tolerances with each other!
As said above, my crank is good to go...

441 - 460 of 1447 Posts