MiniTorque.com banner

401 - 420 of 1447 Posts

·
GP Pilot 1238
2,361 Posts
Give me some time and I'll clarify...
Cheers mate. My builder has trade account with Mahale and also suggested we go with those. Then I was talking about rods with him and he asked if yours were custom to make them fit or not.

Cheers for your help.

I'll post up about my de-coke solution once it's on the car and had some time to ensure its working as it should be. I think you will like it :)

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
I'll post up about my de-coke solution once it's on the car and had some time to ensure its working as it should be. I think you will like it :)
My guess is that you have employed a battalion of nocturnal, pickaxe armed nanobots whose staple diet consists of coal and synthetic viscous liquids :cools:

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #405 (Edited)
Ok, here it goes (the full story):

Man buys a decent second hand N14 engine, strips it down to its bones and measures everything in order to be able to choose the right parts from a very small aftermarket industry for the R56.
He eliminates the use of common aftermarket pistons (due to inappropriate for his project thermal properties) and finds that Mahle Motorsport has produced a set of forged ones 77,5mm. What he doesn't know is what's the exact design of the piston, so he assumes that they will probably have the same connection with the rod design as the Mahle OEM ones 77,00mm. Plus the fact that Mahle Motorsport claims these pistons fit with the stock rod...
So, assuming these pistons had a tapered end man makes his order with Carrillo and in fact sends an OEM rod to them so that the new Carrillo rod matches the tapered end of the OEM.
So, now man has two engines with the same piston-rod philosophy connection...one with 77,00 and one with 77,50 bore. Had he needed to interchange the rods from one engine to the other he could.
Then the unexpected happened...pistons delivered and WTF, the Mahle Motorsport pistons do not have a tapered pin end but a straight one! Anyway, the tapered rods OEM and Carrillo can both fit, so not too frustrated!

Conclusion...the Mahle Motorsport straight pin end 77,50mm pistons can fit the Carrillo straight pin end con-rod without having to modify the small end (the exact same spec as per the original Carrillo design).
However normal Carrillo rods do not fit the OEM pistons and any piston with a tapered end. My Carrillos (custom made=tapered) can...

·
GP Pilot 1238
2,361 Posts
Ok, here it goes (the full story):

Man buys a decent second hand N14 engine, strips it down to its bones and measures everything in order to br able to choose the right parts from a very small aftermarket industry for the R56.
He eliminates the use of common aftermarket pistons (due to inappropriate for his project thermal properties) and finds that Mahle Motorsport has produced a set of forged ones 77,5mm. What he doesn't know is what's the exact design of the piston, so he assumes that they will probably have the same connection with the rod design as the Mahle OEM ones 77,00mm. Plus the fact that Mahle Motorsport claims these pistons fit with the stock rod...
So, assuming these pistons had a tapered end man makes his order with Carrillo and in fact sends an OEM rod to them so that the new Carrillo rod matches the tapered end of the OEM.
So, now man has two engines with the same piston-rod philosophy connection...one with 77,00 and one with 77,50 bore. Had he needed to interchange the rods from one engine to the other he could.
Then the unexpected happened...pistons delivered and WTF, the Mahle Motorsport pistons do not have a tapered pin end but a straight one! Anyway, the tapered rods OEM and Carrillo can both fit, so not too frustrated!

Conclusion...the Mahle Motorsport straight pin end 77,50mm pistons can fit the Carrillo straight pin end con-rod without having to modify the small end (the exact same spec as per the original Carrillo design).
However normal Carrillo rods do not fit the OEM pistons and any piston with a tapered end. My Carrillos (custom made=tapered) can...
So in theory if I now wanted to order Mahale Piston and Carrillo Rods (Which I do) it's a straight forward process and they are going to fit...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
My guess is that you have employed a battalion of nocturnal, pickaxe armed nanobots whose staple diet consists of coal and synthetic viscous liquids :cools:
Bugger me! You must of been there or something... no other way you would know that otherwise! :lol:
:lol::lol::lol: at you two.

·
GP Pilot 1238
2,361 Posts
Yep. Very simple to say now...very hard, time consuming, frustration involving, money spending to be able to say it...
I hope you appreciate it!
Sure do. I have spoken to some people today with the part numbers in your threads to see about getting it ordered up. Rods are not cheap!!

·
GP Pilot 1238
2,361 Posts
No they are not! Quality comes at a price...
If you want to talk prices with me, I would prefer to keep it in private...
That's why I said yesterday wanted to talk about that with you on FB but I think you thought I mean something else and thought it was more secrets :lol:

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
All info except prices please keep it here. This is not my business and I don't like talking money on here...I feel it's not appropriate!
So, either FB or PM is good. Of course whoever wants to ask how much I purchased my parts is free to shoot me a PM.
Go ahead Ben...

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
How did you know I want to fuck austerity? Nothing else being talked here at the moment...sick of it!

I had the money, I have the time, I have the mood, I have the commitment to take this wonderful car into another level, throwing away all of its initial design flaws...in the meanwhile I will learn more, be wiser and enjoy the fucking process...now if the end result is not a million bhp and a thousand torques...I don't give a fuck!
Tailor making it to my exact appetites is all I am after...if you know what I mean!

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #417 (Edited)
Nice find the Auterra, yes...recommendation came from Singapore...

The engine tolerances are a big subject for discussion...as I am away for the weekend with my family, I'll get back on track on Monday. There are several very interesting hints when examining the N14 engine that most engine-builders are not aware off!

Edit: I bored the block to match the oversized pistons (by 0,5mm)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not sure how far along reassembly you are. Just A heads up, In case you are not aware. The tolerances had to be adjusted for the wider Carillo rods. They were brushing the wall. It was only about .001 of an inch or so, but it was noticeable contact.

401 - 420 of 1447 Posts