MiniTorque.com banner

The winter pleasures of a convertible Mini

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  KeithyCoop 
#1 ·
Steamy windows mean either your a dogger or you have a water leak in your car (like I do).

The passenger footwell carpet was wet to touch under the foot mat.

I used my Vax spot cleaner/wet vac and sucked up some water. An hour with a fan heater has dried the carpet. Looks like the door rubber needed pinching together where it’s mounted to the metal panels at the front (the back of the footwell carpet near the seat is dry). Also the rubbers needed cleaning and some of the little channels on top of the doors needed cleaning too.

I’m hoping the water is not getting under the sound deadening, but it may be.

Any tips?

Glasses Liquid Water Drinkware Helmet

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

See less See more
#3 ·
it can be wetter under there than you might think, it's dense foam and takes ages to get excess out

worth putting grease in the door seal, it helps limit cross over

Reactions: KeithyCoop
#5 ·
I’ve had a car do this before, I can try the wet vac to get the worse out, if I can get under there.
I’ll try the grease, I think the water is getting in down the A pillar part and then in at the front of the door. I don’t want to use sealant as it’s a bugger to remove the seals afterwards.

#6 ·
Gummi pledge…..

or

#8 ·
All door rubbers removed, cleaned throughly, nipped up tighter and refitted. Rubbers around the windscreen cleaned, drain holes blown through and treated with gumi.

Let’s see how well this goes as it’s meant to rain tomorrow, fingers crossed. I know exactly where the water has got in, I’m sure it’s the rubber not fitting tightly at the front corner of the door where the speaker is.

Only downside is some how I broke the ultragauge mount so had to order a new one. Tried to make one but ended up gluing my fingers together and my wedding ring to my finger….oh yes and some swear words!

#12 ·
So my work has made a big difference to the water getting into the car, I'm happy with that, but the roof is still 16 years old so to give it some more protection I bought it a cap....no not a baseball cap, but this cap:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I wanted black but had to have grey due to black not being in stock. It has ties inside the boot and round the mirrors and magnets round the edges to keep it in place.

Nice and snug now it is, how long before some bird comes and craps on it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.