MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have bought a set of tyres for your 1st Gen MINI that you liked, and you would like to recommend that tyre to other Mini Torque members, then post up here and tell us all about it :).

It doesn't matter if it's a runflat tyre or a regular tyre ;), only that you liked them.

Just say what brand and model of tyre it is, and what size you bought it in. Then write a small description of what you liked about it.

Hopefully this thread will see a pattern emerge, of tyres that work well on a MINI :cool:.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I really like my Yokohama Parada Spec 2 195 / 50 - 15 because they are £30 each grip is awsome in the dry but unfortunatley at the drag strip they are no better than a run flat.

I did have high hopes for them because they feel so soft but you can do some wicked rolling burn-outs :cool:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not long put a set of Avon ZZ3 tyres on, in the 205/45-17 sze. I've done about a 1000 miles on so far, and i'm really pleased with them. Grippy in both wet and dry, give a quite and comfortable ride, and gentle break away characteristics when the limit is approached. I just find them a perfect road tyre for my MINI Cooper S.

·
Cuntousaurus
15,729 Posts
Loving the Goodyear Eagle GSD3's one of the best upgrades so far, fronts are wearing quite quick mind. Car is so fast point to point in the wet. Size is 215/40/17.

Understeer is gone, back end is more lively but not unpredictable. Handles how it should have from the factory, Superflex front wishbone bushes massively improved the handling and the tyres match up perfect. Just the right amount of grip.

I have been caught out by lift off oversteer once recently but it was 6am and a bit of OL , power and left foot braking sorting things out anyway. Never used to get that with runflats, fronts would wash out well before anything else happened ;)

T

·
0 Posts
Like a muppet I responded to this under the 2nd gen section.

Anyway. Running Yokohama Parada Spec 2. 205/40/17. Loving them in the dry not quite sure on the wet yet as not been pushed. Big hike from the dunlop run flats I had beforehand.

·
Administrator
17,319 Posts
Top thread idea Andrew :cool:

For the winter I use Goodyear F1 Eagles as they are super in the wet. For the summer Yoko Parada Spec II's all day long... they can easily cut it during fast road driving and on track are something else, plus as Paul said you can get them cheap, I buy them off eBay for £55 each and then get them fitted for £10 each so at £65 a tyre I don't think they can be bettered for Summer driving either on road or track.

Attachments

·
Supercharger Junkie!
498 Posts
Well in 18" wheels there is not the hugest of choices.

I've had Falken KF-451's which were a great budget tyre (£80 for a 215/35 R18 is budget :eek: ) Great in the wet and dry. But has now been replaced by the KF-452's that I can no longer comment on.

Toyo Proxes T1-s were on my car for 4 days. Although practically bald when on the car they still seemed rather good in the wet, and perform well on My Mrs Cooper.

Now done close to 35k on Yokohama Parada Spec 2's. Very slippy in the wet but amazing in the dry. VERY wide when compared to the same size Toyo's, so protect my rims reallt well. Downside, noisy. Had to change my rears after 30k (fronts last 20k) despite having plenty of tread left because I was getting a wheel bearing noise (BMW still replaced the wheel bearing under warranty even though it wasn't the cause of the noise).

I fancy the Eagle F1 GSD3's but in 215/35 R18 they can be difficult go get at times. Fancy Pirelli P Zero Nero's to but heard they're soft and they're very expensive.

B

·
0 Posts
I love the Eagle F1 GSD3's. I have used them on many tracks and fast road. They are rubbish in snow... dont ask.

I'm going to try a set Parada Spec II's when I get around to it.

If they will fit on my wheels, and under my arches, I'll try out a set of Dunlop dz03g tyres too. The smallest size is 215/45, so may not fit with my ET37 wheels and lowered suspension. On the front I also have a 5 or 6mm spacer.

·
Cuntousaurus
15,729 Posts
I love the Eagle F1 GSD3's. I have used them on many tracks and fast road. They are rubbish in snow... dont ask.

If they will fit on my wheels, and under my arches, I'll try out a set of Dunlop dz03g tyres too. The smallest size is 215/45, so may not fit with my ET37 wheels and lowered suspension. On the front I also have a 5 or 6mm spacer.
How are yours wearing? I've quickly scrubbed the edges off mine. I do run the fronts quite low though (30-31 PSI), or is this more to do with alignment?

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
I have NEVER had a pair of front tyres last more than 10k miles. The edges of all my tyres always wear a lot too. I think it might be my driving style. I run 32psi in them.

·
Administrator
17,319 Posts

You'll be amazed at the Parada's on track mate. I ran Eagles at Bedford and compared to the Parada's it was night and day in favour of the Parada's.

Whatever you do mate forget 215/45's if you want to be running a decent ride height as they simply won't fit if you run Jan's suspension settings.

·
Cuntousaurus
15,729 Posts
I have NEVER had a pair of front tyres last more than 10k miles. The edges of all my tyres always wear a lot too. I think it might be my driving style. I run 32psi in them.
Well looks like I'm not alone, they are wearing at the edges and quite quick too. I think I might stick a bit more air in them as the look low at the front, great for grip (zero understeer) but not mpg and wear I guess.

·
PowerRanger Reborn
1,238 Posts
My bro (TRISTO) had Pro Race 1.2's and Parada fitted and they feel awesome. The difference from S Spokes with Runflat is amazing...

Im looking for new alloy wheels and my S Spokes have flat spot on the front. Will defo be putting parada's on whatever wheels i decide to go for:D

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
You'll be amazed at the Parada's on track mate. I ran Eagles at Bedford and compared to the Parada's it was night and day in favour of the Parada's.

Whatever you do mate forget 215/45's if you want to be running a decent ride height as they simply won't fit if you run Jan's suspension settings.
I want those Dunlops sooooo bad!

Imagine R888's, but without the downsides of getting to hot, and with even more grip! We should petition Dunlop to make those babies in a small size.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run TOYO R888 205/40R17W

Pros:

Simply awesome grip, wet or dry
Used on the road only, they are wearing well this could be down to less wheelspin.
Look awesome!

Cons:

Take a little while to get up to temperature in cold weather
Make you crap your pants on deep standing water (answer = slow down)
Noisy, they drone (similar to a duff wheel bearing) especially on smooth surfaces.
They are sticky enough to throw up stones at following cars.

I would give them 8/10 for a daily use tyre if you don't mind living with the Cons.

I previously ran: Goodyear EAGLE F1 GS-D3 215/45 R17

Pros:

Great Ride
Good grip in wet and dry.
Good looking
Rim curbing protection built in

Cons:

Not a lot really other than the R888s are better.

Before that:

205/45-17 Pirelli [email protected] Run Flats

Pros

Erm... you can drive over police stingers / stop sticks and still get away?

Cons

Nasty ride
limited grip in dry, none in the wet

Edited to get my Ps&Cs the right way round :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Im running Goodyear F1 GDS3's rears are still looking good after 20k fronts are on the second set, got about 14k out of them,
As everyone has said they are great in the wet and not to shabby in the dry, 100 times better than the Dunlop runflats I had before,
On a sidenote Im running bridgestone RE050 runflats on my 120d and they are good, almost as good as the Good Years, so if you really must have runflats have a look at these ;)

1 - 20 of 651 Posts