MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my r53 a couple of months back,so far I did the exhaust (top gear resonated cat back)
And a few other bits like an m7 strut brace and airtec induction kit and some Union Jack tail lights.
Next on the list is some coilovers,
I went with tein as I've used them in the past on civics and skylines and always found them to be good.
I got new top mounts so I thought I'd be good to go without the ball ache of stripping down the old struts but it turns out I need the 2 washers that go under the front top mounts as well so now I'll also have to buy some spring compressors small enough to strip the old ones but hopefully I can find some by the weekend.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
I’ve got teins on my R53 and I love them, just need to stiffen up the rebound a bit on them though

I like them so much that I’ve just bought a set for my R56 too

i got some spring compressors off Amazon cheap, about £12 iirc, do the job nicely

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I’ve got teins on my R53 and I love them, just need to stiffen up the rebound a bit on them though

I like them so much that I’ve just bought a set for my R56 too

i got some spring compressors off Amazon cheap, about £12 iirc, do the job nicely
Yeah,I got some cheap ones from amazon but they are too big,they won't compress the coils enough and I can't undo the top nut even with a big breaker bar

Edit,
I just took the struts to a local garage ,in probably less than 5 minutes and 5 quid(big hydraulic spring compressor and air gun) so I'm good to go

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyway,
I decided to give the project silver top mounts a try, (why couldn't they make green ones) packed them with grease.
They come with a stepped nut to go inside but it's not a locking nut so I put the tein nut on the top to make sure it won't work itself loose.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
You’ll defiantly have to report back how you get on with them with the teins, I’ve got a set of to fit to mine at some point

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You’ll defiantly have to report back how you get on with them with the teins, I’ve got a set of to fit to mine at some point
I will,
I must admit that I'm a bit worried about the noise they might make and also the longevity compared with standard mounts but I do really want to try them out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fitted today, no nasty clonks, a slight bit more road noise compared to rubber mounts but not really too noticeable,
The teins as I expected ride excellent

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So it's been a few weeks,
Added some kavs 11.5mm spacers so I have scope to wind the front coilovers down a bit more if I fancy it also wheel stud conversion,
So far so good, teins ride pretty well,silver project top mounts still quiet even if a bit harsh on pot holes,
Also audi tt gear gaiter and new gear knob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts