MiniTorque.com banner

4541 - 4560 of 4564 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R53
86 Posts
Thanks - there's a fair bit of play in mine and I'm pretty sure the issue is with the bushes on the cables - I'll know for sure when I get around to pulling the air box which should be pretty soon.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
793 Posts
Thanks - there's a fair bit of play in mine and I'm pretty sure the issue is with the bushes on the cables - I'll know for sure when I get around to pulling the air box which should be pretty soon.
Like Col I have the tiniest bit of side to side neutral play on mine as well...82k mile S. Nature of the beast with a cable operated change I guess?

Figure it's probably the bushes at the gearbox end as you mention but easily lived with. In the process of having a Helix fitted to it so hoping that perhaps makes it a bit less obvious.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
remove the two bolts for the neutral gate linkage with the cable off and rotate the tiny plastic block that sits on a pin 90deg, then lube it all, or renew the block for £4 or something, remove the other bolt and lube under that link too while there perhaps, just airbox off is all that is required and it's right there

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
this is the block on the neutral gate linkage, you can see the wear step on the bottom, this is from fore/aft sweeping of the groove the selector shaft has, which moves at it's rotated by the selector linkage. Rotate this after lubricating the pin, ideally with a sticky grease, note its position as it's easy to accidentally refit in the same plane.

this is the bush under the selector linkage, a single bolt here, grease this.

these break and cause excess fore aft lash in the selector linkage, new linkage required iirc

you can see this one cracked, extremely common, no action required.

this is the groove which wears the small cube, heavy grease in here. Don't scratch away to clean it as you'll only make the wear worse. The cube only raises or lowers this selector shaft, which is why it wears only on two faces and ovals the pin hole, turning it is a quick and convenient interim measure that can make a significant difference, it may seem trivial to some, worth doing imo.

greased a bit, I usually coat them more before refitting the airbox

you can just make out one of the two bolts here, to the left of the pivot, which also needs some lube perhaps, the pic above also shows a partial bolt fwiw

the bolts have Loctite on them so are slow to turn but some maintenance spray eases them sometimes

that's it, I keep the cubes, but often just rotate them, the seal below the groove, for the selector shaft is worth cleaning around and greasing, not available from BMW, like with the rest of the box parts mostly.

so a fairly insignificant tweak, which offers far more in return than the minor effort required to do it, imo ;O)

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,546 ·
I don't know how I missed this post Sean. Thanks muchly, I'll have a look this weekend

Well that's me insured for another year. £400ish for the year, all mods declared naturally with protected no claims and an agreed value. Can't grumble with that

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
That's you, that is.
312 Posts
I don't know how I missed this post Sean. Thanks muchly, I'll have a look this weekend

Well that's me insured for another year. £400ish for the year, all mods declared naturally with protected no claims and an agreed value. Can't grumble with that

Who with?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,548 ·
Adrian Flux. The actual policy itself is with AXA

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Colin, totally off topic, but how big of a vinyl can you churn out, and what would you need from me file wise?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,550 ·
Colin, totally off topic, but how big of a vinyl can you churn out, and what would you need from me file wise?
In a single piece two feet by fifteen, but the software will section bigger designs. To be fair anything bigger would be a nightmare to handle. Vector files are ideal but I can create these from even the most basic of images or design ideas

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,554 ·
Ah, getting some track time?
Goodness no, my car is far too wrapped in cotton wool for that kinda thing. My mate Dave is running his freshly built R53 turbo track car for the first time and I'm on hand to deal with any minor mapping tweeks. (Graphics by yours truly)

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,556 ·
I wouldn't normally promote anything Facebook group related, but I'm running a giveaway on the R53 Owners Club group for 5 x sets of Standard Size UK registration plates. Worth a punt for free if yours are shabby or you have moody ones fitted and an mot looming

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,558 ·
Would you be able to do some show plates? :sneaky:
Yes, no problem. As long as it can be printed mono then anything is possible. Those in the pic are my promo plates

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,560 ·
Another day another wheel bearing (daughters Cooper). Had to cut the caliper carrier bolts off as they were well and truly rounded. Luckily the actual hub bolts played ball. Off to the dealers for two new bolts in the morning

4541 - 4560 of 4564 Posts